16.5 INCH Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lostdog

Bearcat
Does the .22lr or the .22mag reach it's max velocity from the 16.5 inch barrel??
#2 Would there be less rise and drop from the .22 mag in the first 60 yds ?
Not sure if I want a .22 mag for Squirrel hunting or not....Thanks ...

Snake45

Hawkeye
1. No. I believe .22LR reaches max velocity in 12-14" barrel, but 16" isn't bad. I don't know about .22MAG.

2. The .22MAG will have a flatter trajectory than .22LR.

I'm just guessing that the 22mag is still burning powder at the muzzle of a 16.5" bore. Based on the amount of muzzle blast from a shorter than 20" barrel on 22mag and 17HMR.

coach

Hunter
Ballistics by the inch. Pick your ammo and brand and see how it performs. Most seem to max out at 18" or 19" for 22 mag.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The ballistics (internal, external, and terminal) would depend on several factors besides barrel length for either caliber. Bullet weight, twist, powder burn rate, etc.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
The ballistics (internal, external, and terminal) would depend on several factors besides barrel length for either caliber. Bullet weight, twist, powder burn rate, etc.
All of this is quite correct but a lot of those parameters are moot for rimfire ammo. Bullet weight range is limited, twist rate is universal and powder choice is the manufacturer's, not the shooters. It isn't like centerfire ammunition where the shooter has a wide range of choices, particularly if they reload.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
GunnyGene said:
All of this is quite correct but a lot of those parameters are moot for rimfire ammo. Bullet weight range is limited, twist rate is universal and powder choice is the manufacturer's, not the shooters. It isn't like centerfire ammunition where the shooter has a wide range of choices, particularly if they reload.

Regarding bullet weight - 20 to 60 grn is available. And there are varying twist rates also. 1:16 for the Henry .22mag, 1:10 for the Marlin .22lr, 1:9 for others, etc.

That said, it probably doesn't make a significant difference in terms of external ballistics, unless you're a competition shooter. But I can tell a difference between a 30grn V-Max .22 mag and a 45grn Critical Defense .22 mag in my Winchester, especially at longer ranges. :)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
I'm just guessing that the 22mag is still burning powder at the muzzle of a 16.5" bore. Based on the amount of muzzle blast from a shorter than 20" barrel on 22mag and 17HMR.

That is absolutely correct. In fact, I have chronographed .22 rimfire ammunition ( over an Oehler 35P ) out of a Winchester 67A with a 27" barrel and the velocity exceeds the printed, and box velocities that manufacturers list.
A few years back I contacted several .22 rimfire ammunition manufacturers asking what barrel lengths they used to achieve the printed velocities they advertised. All, at that time, stated that 26" barrels were used. Since that time, most have gone with 24" test barrels, or rifles with 24" barrels.
I have the return emails from all that I contacted, except for the one sent to Winchester.
Now, do the velocities increase past the length of a 20" barrel? Yes, they do, but it's not by any GREAT margin. Still, the burning gasses are still working quite a bit past the touted 16.5 inches. Only 12 to 14 inch efficiency is a joke.

Snake45

Hawkeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
Only 12 to 14 inch efficiency is a joke.
Somewhere I've got at least one test where they cut a 24" barrel down an inch at a time, and that's what happened.