mark iv torque list

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triton186

Bearcat
is there a list of factory torque settings available for the mark series? specifically im interested in the setting for the front sight on my mark iv competition that keeps coming loose even after some thread lock

bereta1

Bearcat
You can order a front sight Torx screw that solved the issue for my Competition. It's available from Sarona Gunworks. SGW will be along and provide you with more info. Did you use blue Loctite 242 ?

contender

Ruger Guru
Be careful. Over torquing can strip things.
Along with the blue Loctite, a piece of fishing line, inserted in the hole, add the screw, tighten, and cut off the piece sticking out to top of the screw. A lighter held near the tiny tail will melt it away.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
contender said:
Be careful. Over torquing can strip things.
Along with the blue Loctite, a piece of fishing line, inserted in the hole, add the screw, tighten, and cut off the piece sticking out to top of the screw. A lighter held near the tiny tail will melt it away.

So true. Consider that, these smaller diameter screws can have their heads twisted off quite easily. When you go to the inter-web, you will find quite an extensive range of inch-pound torque settings for optics and sight base screws. While slotted #6 & #8 screws are somewhat traditional, the slots get buggered up with use of the wrong shape driver bit. Hex socket screws are easily rounded in the socket when over-tightened, especially with the overseas screws and wrenches some use these days that don't fit real well. I have twisted the heads off some socket head cap screws for optics bases, just using a hex wrench. I found that the socket was machined too deep and left a very thin wall between the bottom of the socket and where the threads began.
I've gone, pretty exclusively, to "torx" style screws for all optics bases and sights to keep them in place. Still though, a thorough cleaning of oil from both internal and external threads with "brake and parts cleaner" and then a dollop of #242 blue Loctite, which is a serviceable variation, will guarantee that the sight screw will not loosen up until YOU want to remove it. Finger tight is tight enough!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nylok has tiny screws, aviation grade. They also have true-torque interrupted thread locking screws, but I don't know as they go that small.
I like em for scope mounting on hunting rifles.

Dan Carey

Bearcat
The front sight screw on my Mark IV Target is so tight that the head of the screw stripped when I tried to remove it...After heating it with a 900 degree soldering iron! Ruger is sending me a couple of replacement screws, but I still have to destroy the original to get it out. It's soaking in Kroil now and I'll heat it again before the next attempt.