.22 rise + drop rate needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lostdog

Bearcat
Does anyone know or have a chart for the rise+ drop rate for a .22 rifle. i f i sight the scope in a 30 yds ,where will it hit at 30 ft? Or at 50yds ?? Thanks for advise.....

wolfee

Blackhawk
I like this one:
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/

In order to get the "ballistic coefficient" of your particular bullet, check here:
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rimfire-rifles.html

At rimfire velocities BC really doesn't make much difference. I usually just use 1.1

JFB

Hunter
a bullet only drops when fired from a level barrel. thus charts where the bullet rises is because the barrel is tilted up.

I using a chart that only shows drop. like this one for CCI SV in 18" barrel
the thin blue line is the line of sight (where your cross hairs are) . the heavy green is the bullet point of impact.
the left start of the blue line is where my scope is mounted 1.5" above the barrel and first zero is 20 yards and the second about 49. At 10 yards, the point of impact is about 3/4" below cross hair aiming point. At 30 yards, the impact is about 1/2" high

You can add your own line, letting it start at the height of your scope and a straight line from there to your zero.

55XA1Go.jpg

I like this type of chart as I can easily see the effects of changing zero

My best advice is to shoot your ammo in your gun and make your own chart as there are SO MANY variables in rimfire performance.
I do know that sub-sonic (1020 fps) zeroed at 25 yards is 4-5" low @ 50 and 12"+/- low @ 100. HV drop is about 1/2 that.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I shoot .22 rimfire ammunition quite extensively on my range out back. When you go out beyond 100 yards with a .22 rifle you're stretching the limitations of guns and ammunition. Albeit, it might be fun to do, but there are "forces" working against those little bullets that are beyond control.

I agree with the above statement. Sight your rifle in, with your "specific" brand of .22 rimfire ammunition at, say 25 yards, or some distance you choose. Then, shoot at 20, 50, 60, 75, 90 yards with the same point of aim you held at 25 yards. You will soon find out exactly what the drop/rise involved at those distances will be for your chosen combination. Heck, shooting is much more fun than sitting in front of a computer screen and trying to calculate what may not be accurate.