22 Magnum 1st production date

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larryofcc

Bearcat
Does anyone know the first production date for the Single Six in 22 Magnum? Thanks, Big Larry

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

The very first Ruger Single-Six's in 22 Magnum,,, were marked as .22 Mags,, and started with serial number 300000 in 1959.

larryofcc

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!

The very first Ruger Single-Six's in 22 Magnum,,, were marked as .22 Mags,, and started with serial number 300000 in 1959.
Thanks Mr. Guru. I am trying to pin down the dates of some of the first 22 Magnums.
The first S&W M48 22 Magnum shipped May of 1959.
The cartridge was evidently perceived for the Winchester M61 which didn't come out until early 1960.
Thanks for the info. I have been a member of this Forum off and on for several years.
Funny about the 22 Magnum, my interest in Rugers is for the "Star" types. No 22 Magnums there. Thanks again Sir. Big Larry

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,,,, I was using my phone to reply last night. I can not type much on that darned tiny screen where I can't see nor read stuff.

Ok, I recalled some Ruger history when I was reading your post.
In early 1958,,, the Ruger catalog, which was a tri-fold, printed on front & back for a total of 6 pages,,, introduces the Bearcat as the "Newest gun from the worlds largest maker of Single-Action revolvers." That's on the cover,,, and when you fold it open,, on page 2,, is the info about the Bearcat. Just under the picture of the gun it's printed; "All .22 R.F. ammunition $49.50 (retail list) Catalog No. BC4"
Well in 1958,,, as Winchester introduced the .22 Magnum,, Ruger reprinted the catalog,,, with one minor change. On page 2,,, under the Bearcat,, they changed it to say; ".22 short, long or long rifle ammunition $49.50 (retail list) Catalog No. BC4"

Now,, the June 20, 1958 Dealer Price Sheet does not list anything about the .22 magnum.
I do not have a 1959 Dealer price sheet,, but I do have a Jan. 4th 1960 one,, that lists the Ruger RSSMR & RSSMW .22 mag Single-Sixes in it.

I hope this helps narrow down your search.

larryofcc

Bearcat
contender said:
Ok,,,, I was using my phone to reply last night. I can not type much on that darned tiny screen where I can't see nor read stuff.

Ok, I recalled some Ruger history when I was reading your post.
In early 1958,,, the Ruger catalog, which was a tri-fold, printed on front & back for a total of 6 pages,,, introduces the Bearcat as the "Newest gun from the worlds largest maker of Single-Action revolvers." That's on the cover,,, and when you fold it open,, on page 2,, is the info about the Bearcat. Just under the picture of the gun it's printed; "All .22 R.F. ammunition $49.50 (retail list) Catalog No. BC4"
Well in 1958,,, as Winchester introduced the .22 Magnum,, Ruger reprinted the catalog,,, with one minor change. On page 2,,, under the Bearcat,, they changed it to say; ".22 short, long or long rifle ammunition $49.50 (retail list) Catalog No. BC4"

Now,, the June 20, 1958 Dealer Price Sheet does not list anything about the .22 magnum.
I do not have a 1959 Dealer price sheet,, but I do have a Jan. 4th 1960 one,, that lists the Ruger RSSMR & RSSMW .22 mag Single-Sixes in it.

I hope this helps narrow down your search.

Thank you Sir for your time. Pretty much narrowed it down to to the late 60'. I even got hold of the guy who wrote an ammunition book and he stated to me that just a few guns were made in 22 Magnum in 1959. The ammo was made by Winchester and Remington and that the first lot of Remington was recalled and he didn't know why. So, maybe actual dates of mfg. have been lost to time.
I actually collected the "Star" guns and still have 3 of them. So I never bothered with convertibles. Thank you again for your time and interest. Big Larry

larryofcc

Bearcat
contender said:
Well, it appears that Ruger & S&W beat Winchester to it!
Yes, and a few other brands too.
I don't know what the holdup was on the Winchester M61 as the cartridge was made for that rifle. Interesting stuff. BTW, I also have a July 1975 Ruger KNR 5 that I bought 10 years ago. It is in its original box with all papers and outside shipper box. I tried to sell it at a gun show, but no takers. I am sure glad I didn't sell it. It remains unfired in the box in my safe. About the only one I shoot anymore is my KS 4 and not very often. It was replaced as my 4 wheeler shooter by my S&W M&P 22. Thanks for all. Big Larry

contender

Ruger Guru
Shooting your 4 wheeler????

:D :D :D

I was doing a little more checking in my paperwork,, but didn't find anything to back up what some of my dusty memory recalls.

larryofcc

Bearcat
contender said:
Shooting your 4 wheeler????

:D :D :D

I was doing a little more checking in my paperwork,, but didn't find anything to back up what some of my dusty memory recalls.
No. it says 4 wheeler shooter. I have a side by side and a Hondo quad and live on the edge of over 1.000,000 acres of open BLM land. When it's cool, I ride and shoot a lot in the back country. Mostly with my M&P 22, as it is a cheapie and I don't have to worry about the dust and dirt. It is very accurate too and holds 12 rds. and I carry two extra mags. when I go out. Lots of rocks and plastic bottles to shoot at. I do not kill animals. I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands. Thanks for looking. Big Larry

contender

Ruger Guru
Just poking a little fun. The way it read,, made it SEEM like you might be out shooting 4-wheelers. I knew what you meant,, just having a little fun! :D

larryofcc

Bearcat
contender said:
Just poking a little fun. The way it read,, made it SEEM like you might be out shooting 4-wheelers. I knew what you meant,, just having a little fun! :D
There are some inconsiderate riders out there that need shooting. I usually just ride on weekdays when there is no one out riding. Best part of being retired.
We have some large mines about 5 miles from here. Not the tunnel type. Open pit. One has 77' of water in it. Fun to take the 4 wheelers down inside to the water. Shoot at floaters too.
Summer is a bummer here. Too hot to do anything. When it cools down, I will go riding with my Grandson and go shooting at my private range. Been wanting to test out my Winchester M52-C BULLGUN with the Lyman STS 20X.
Big Larry

One of the very first .22 WRMs to actually hit the shelves was the Savage Model 24 combination .410/.22 WRM. About the same time as Ruger and S&W handguns were available in 1959. I have a "Deluxe" 24 in that chambering from very late '59.

Shortly after that just about all manufacturers had to try the ".22 Magnum." Fortunately, it was, and is, a great cartridge. Useful.

larryofcc

Bearcat
Mike Armstrong said:
One of the very first .22 WRMs to actually hit the shelves was the Savage Model 24 combination .410/.22 WRM. About the same time as Ruger and S&W handguns were available in 1959. I have a "Deluxe" 24 in that chambering from very late '59.

Shortly after that just about all manufacturers had to try the ".22 Magnum." Fortunately, it was, and is, a great cartridge. Useful.
Thanks Mike.
The S&W M48 was available in May of 1959. That I know for a fact.
Funny that the cartridge was made for the M61 Winchester which didn't come out until 1960.
Thanks for your info. Just trying to put a time frame on who was actually first to put the 22 Magnum on the shelves.
It is a good cartridge. I have one Ruger NM KS5 Convertible from 1970, and 4 M48 S&W's. No rifles at this time. Thanks again, Big Larry

street

Hunter
larryofcc said:
Mike Armstrong said:

Thanks Mike.
Funny that the cartridge was made for the M61 Winchester which didn't come out until 1960.
Thanks for your info. Just trying to put a time frame on who was actually first to put the 22 Magnum on the shelves.
It is a good cartridge. I have one Ruger NM KS5 Convertible from 1970, and 4 M48 S&W's. No rifles at this time. Thanks again, Big Larry
Ruger hadn't started making it's New Models in 1970. The first New Models came out in 1973. Also the KS5 is not a convertible. The KS5 is a single cycinder .22LR only with a 5 1/2 in. bl. in Stainless Steel. The KS models came out in 1975. If you have a new model convertible then it is a NR-5 for the blue 5 1/2 in New Model Convertible.

larryofcc

Bearcat
street said:
larryofcc said:
Mike Armstrong said:

Thanks Mike.
Ruger hadn't started making it's New Models in 1970. The first New Models came out in 1973. Also the KS5 is not a convertible. The KS5 is a single cycinder .22LR only with a 5 1/2 in. bl. in Stainless Steel. The KS models came out in 1975. If you have a new model convertible then it is a NR-5 for the blue 5 1/2 in New Model Convertible.
Gettting all my K's mixed up. It is # 63-94030 shipped July 1975. It is a KNR-5 stainless. Thanks, Big Larry

chet15

Hawkeye
The first production date for the RSSM would be sometime in July 1959. The earliest date I have noted is July 21 for Pete Brown's 300023. That one also left with a Mag. cylinder that had a firing pin groove in the rear face of the cylinder (Ruger engineer's determined that the .22 Mag. needed full support around the case head otherwise you would get spitting out the side of the cylinder). I can see writers getting the first guns, then regular production going shortly thereafter. 300011 was inspected July 28 as was 300022.
Chet15

larryofcc

Bearcat
chet15 said:
The first production date for the RSSM would be sometime in July 1959. The earliest date I have noted is July 21 for Pete Brown's 300023. That one also left with a Mag. cylinder that had a firing pin groove in the rear face of the cylinder (Ruger engineer's determined that the .22 Mag. needed full support around the case head otherwise you would get spitting out the side of the cylinder). I can see writers getting the first guns, then regular production going shortly thereafter. 300011 was inspected July 28 as was 300022.
Chet15
My KS4 "Star", is serial number 63-08141. Very early revolver and quite rare. Thanks, Big Larry