New to Me Ruger Mark III 22/45 Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Just picked up this Ruger Mark III 22/45 Hunter Target Model KP678HMKIII. I bought it because it is my first Mark III, first Hunter with a 6-7/8" fluted barrel, and it has a relatively early 3-digit serial number (270-004xx). Plus, I think it is a really cool looking gun.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
Nice gun. Now it's time to throw away(oops, replace) 1/2 the parts in the interest of gaining a 2.5# trigger pull.

I paid $281 plus $45 shipping and transfer fee for mine. I am not sufficiently skilled mechanically to be able to install a Volquartsen trigger kit costing $115.

Maybe I should have bought the used Mark III 22/45 Target (P678MKIII) with a Volquartsen trigger for $350 that is for sale at a local gun store. But, that one isn't stainless, and it doesn't have a fluted barrel.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the one in the gun store send me a PM, and I'll forward the store's contact information to you.

I was sort of kidding but it seems this is the normal path for a lot of Ruger pistol owners.
I can honestly say, the trigger upgrade doesn't make the pistol more accurate but it does make it easier to shoot accurately. I got along just fine for a long time w/o any upgrades at all in multiple Rugers and shot them pretty well. I'm spoiled now but still have 50% of my 22/45 stable original.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I did dry fire the one with the Volquartsen trigger in the gun store (using a snap cap) and I can appreciate why some owners would want to do the conversion.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
BarkeyVA said:
I did dry fire the one with the Volquartsen trigger in the gun store (using a snap cap) and I can appreciate why some owners would want to do the conversion.

Being that this pistol is "NEW" to you, I'd recommend that you shoot it for a while and then compile a list of things you'd like to change, if any. While Volquartsen parts are top notch replacements, but, the kit does contain a few parts you don't really need to get a better trigger pull weight. The sear that Volquartsen makes for the Ruger Mark pistols ( all of 'em ) is a superb replacement and it alone will provide you with a much better trigger pull weight.

Another issue with some Mark III pistol owners involves that pesky magazine disco, whereby you need to have a magazine in place before the trigger will drop the hammer/sear. Here, I would recommend that the hammer bushing be replaced using a "fitted" aftermarket hammer bushing, only available from one supplier. This is a low cost replacement part and will have your magazines clicking into place more positively, and they'll come flying out of the grip frame once you hit the magazine latch/release.

Latest posts