Mark IV trigger pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DLB-NRAlife

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Mark IV Hunter and it shoots great but the trigger pull is 5 lbs. or more. It bottomed out my trigger pull gauge. Anyway, I've been looking at Volquartsen kits but then ran across just the disconnector and sear only as a kit from Volquartsen which is much cheaper. My question is will just the sear and disconnector be enough to reduce my trigger pull or do I need the full kit ? Thanks for any help on this.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Just the sear will improve you trigger pull to about 2.5 pounds. The disconnector is a nice help as well but really didn't do much for mine.

Add a Tandemkross Victory Trigger and you will be very happy.

DLB-NRAlife

Bearcat
I thought the sear it self might work since I did that to a 10/22 and that helped a lot. Made a good trigger on the 10/22. Thanks for the input. I'll make up my mind Monday morning as to what I'll select.

I replaced the sear, hammer, disconnector, and spring on a 22/45 III and dropped the trigger pull by 1/2. I'm now debating as to whether replacing the hammer spring is worth the effort.

JohnFLand

Bearcat
OP, what trigger pull gauge are you using, out of curiosity? Most that I've seen or used don't bottom out until at least 12 pounds.

Not that it necessarily helps your particular unit, but installing a Volquartsen hammer and post-safety fix sear along with a Tandemkross "Victory" trigger on my Mark IV Hunter dropped my TP from a post-safety fix value of 4 lbs, 14.5 oz down to 2 lbs, 8.4 oz (Lyman digital trigger pull gauge, new version circa 2017).

DLB-NRAlife

Bearcat
The trigger gauge I use is an old RCBS spring style gauge that only goes to 72 ounces. I ordered a Volquartsen complete trigger kit this past Monday.

DLB-NRAlife

Bearcat
Put my volquartsen trigger kit in today and went to the range. It ran flawlessly and trigger pull went from 4.5 lbs + to 40-42 ounces. Was able to shoot 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yds. and 2 inch groups at 50.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
DLB-NRAlife said:
The trigger gauge I use is an old RCBS spring style gauge that only goes to 72 ounces. I ordered a Volquartsen complete trigger kit this past Monday.

The Volquartsen kit will do what you require. Replacing the actual trigger itself does nothing to improve pull weight.

DLB-NRAlife

Bearcat
You are right, the trigger does nothing to improve or lighten pull but I prefer a smooth trigger and I like the overtravel adjustment.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
DLB-NRAlife said:
You are right, the trigger does nothing to improve or lighten pull but I prefer a smooth trigger and I like the overtravel adjustment.

If you're referring to the VC "smooth face trigger", I'm with you. I like a smooth face trigger and have altered many Clark Custom triggers to that condition. Ribs and points on a trigger shoe face is more annoying than helpful. It's too dang bad that Clark will not sell triggers any longer, but only when full-house trigger jobs are done by them. The idea of having over-travel and the pre-travel screws, as the VC triggers have, is to get you ready to go again in short order, taking up pretty much all the trigger movement that doesn't do anything.
The VC sear is the main contributor to a much lighter trigger pull, but you need to get the final design from Volquartsen for the Mark IV pistols, if you went through the recall. The VC sear was made in at least three configurations, two involving the work-up for the Mark IV, one before and another after the recall. I do stock all three versions and continually experiment to see how each will work in all the Ruger Mark varieties, including the Mark I.
If anything, the Mark IV is a very nice version. Ruger tried their best to not allow modifications to these guns, but with a bit of study and experimentation, almost every aspect involved with the Mark IV can be safely over-come, if so desired.