22/45 frustration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yesterday I began the installation of the VQ trigger parts I received of "dickn52". THANKS AGAIN
I was fairly sure I remembered the procedure but it wasn't going back together right. After several attempts (more than anyone less stubborn than myself would have made), I figured out that the VQ hammer was not compatible with the TK hammer bushing. WHO would have considered that? After more fumbling and cussing, I worked all the widgets back into position and got the pins in the holes. Trigger pull dropped by 50% with no more crunchy take up.
What I didn't manage to do was replace the hammer spring. How does one get the spring out of the spring housing ?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
So, more trouble than it's worth?
At least give me a clue, please.

No, I do it all the time when I "smooth Ruger Mark pistols". There's only one way that the mainspring can be removed from the mainspring housing assembly. That requires that the pivot pin for the latch lever be removed. Once done, the steel spring guide and spring are gonna come out of place very quickly, so it's best to put a cloth over the mainspring housing assembly to keep those two parts from landing in your neighbors yard, once you drift that pivot pin from place.

After you do what you plan to do, you need to get those parts back into the mainspring housing assembly and then drift the pivot pin for the latch back into place. Without some sort of "aid", that endeavor will be quite an ordeal in trying to get those parts back in place. That's why I made up a helper to do that.

RNyDBR7m.jpg

Well, now I have a dilemma. I took the 22/45 with the just installed VQ hammer, trigger, and sear out for a test run this evening. I'm not sure I should mess with it any more. Seated at the bench using only a piece of 2x4 board to support the muzzle and no sandbags, it took 2 shots to get the range and then 6 of the next 7 hit the 4" swinger @ 75 yards.
I dunno, did Ruger make any inaccurate 22/45's? I gotta be careful where and/or to whom I tell these stories. Some folks simply don't or can't believe that a cheap half plastic 22 pistol can be so accurate. Like I said in another post, the little guns sure do make a guy look good(even if he's the only one who sees it).

Xsales

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
Well, now I have a dilemma. I took the 22/45 with the just installed VQ hammer, trigger, and sear out for a test run this evening. I'm not sure I should mess with it any more. Seated at the bench using only a piece of 2x4 board to support the muzzle and no sandbags, it took 2 shots to get the range and then 6 of the next 7 hit the 4" swinger @ 75 yards.
I dunno, did Ruger make any inaccurate 22/45's? I gotta be careful where and/or to whom I tell these stories. Some folks simply don't or can't believe that a cheap half plastic 22 pistol can be so accurate. Like I said in another post, the little guns sure do make a guy look good(even if he's the only one who sees it).

Mo
Of over 275 to date, I personally have not had one Ruger 22 Pistol that was not deadly accurate

Certainly, great Firearms

dickn52

Bearcat
Glad it worked out for you Mo, and yes I got the mailed item. Appreciated for sure. My 22/45 has the Majestic system installed and it's as easy as the Mk4 for takedown now. Trigger is crisp at about 10 ozs or so, but I don't care about the 'lightness' as long as it is a crisp let go. I have a BSA MKII rifle that breaks clean at 2 lbs. And I shoot consistent.

Latest posts