Ruger OEM forged spiral target barrel vs aftermarket-10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Is there such a thing- REALLY as a accurate 10/22 barrel? I just wanted to know if the 20inch bull Hammer forged spiral barrels are as good as any aftermarket 20inch 10/22 barrel?

I'm looking at another build. Thanks.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
depends. It's not just a barrel, it's the mix of all the components, including the ammo. have one of the very early ones and it shoots great with the preferred ammo. With other ammo, it's nothing special at all. Same goes with each of my other builds.

SHOOTER said:
Is there such a thing- REALLY as a accurate 10/22 barrel? I just wanted to know if the 20inch bull Hammer forged spiral barrels are as good as any aftermarket 20inch 10/22 barrel?

I'm looking at another build. Thanks.

My experience, the 20" hammered barrels sold on the 10/22 Target do not hold a candle to after market barrels. In fact, the 20" Ruger hammer forged barrels I've owned were barely more accurate than the sporter barrel.

That said...Nothing is absolute. I now have the same barrel, but in the 16" version as supplied on the 10/22 Target-Tactical. It is the most accurate 10/22 I've ever owned, and by far.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I have both an OEM Ruger spiral fluted 20" barrel and a Kidd 20" and the Kidd is
on a nearly all Kidd rifle aside from the stock, both have the same optics and on a
given day and every thing else being the same, including ammunition down to the
same lot number, I can's see any significant difference.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The barrel is the HEART of any 10/22 build. Stock to action fit, trigger pull, a pinned firing pin, expensive scope & bolt headspace are all wasted if the barrel won't perform. Tony Kidd guarantees ½ inch groups at 50 yards from his barrels. I'm currently doing some ammunition testing out of a 10/22 style rifle I recently put together. Practically all the parts used are from KIDD:

223eASt.jpg

My initial testing set-up was not the most sturdy platform, so I'm modifying a "Caldwell Lead-Sled" to hold the rifle rock steady for my continued testing. My goal is to test various .22 rimfire ammunition, both match and common with this rifle and rig, to see, for my own purposes, how the ammunition performs in this particular rifle. From that point on, it's up to ME, and how well I can hold steady to try and emulate the results achieved using the rest.

I slugged my Tony KIDD barrel and it is very consistent in diameter throughout the bore, from chamber to muzzle. With the first round of testing, I loaded five rounds in the magazine and let the bolt push rounds into the chamber. Next up, I want to see if "single loading" makes any difference.......or not. This barrels rear extension was "shrink-fit to the receiver", with the barrel held over-night in our meat freezer and the receiver in the oven at 250° for one hour. The fit is tight.
For me, this is both interesting and fun stuff to do.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The barrel is the HEART of any 10/22 build. Stock to action fit, trigger pull, a pinned firing pin, expensive scope & bolt headspace are all wasted if the barrel won't perform. Tony Kidd guarantees ½ inch groups at 50 yards from his barrels. I'm currently doing some ammunition testing out of a 10/22 style rifle I recently put together. Practically all the parts used are from KIDD:

223eASt.jpg

My initial testing set-up was not the most sturdy platform, so I'm modifying a "Caldwell Lead-Sled" to hold the rifle rock steady for my continued testing. My goal is to test various .22 rimfire ammunition, both match and common with this rifle and rig, to see, for my own purposes, how the ammunition performs in this particular rifle. From that point on, it's up to ME, and how well I can hold steady to try and emulate the results achieved using the rest.

I slugged my Tony KIDD barrel and it is very consistent in diameter throughout the bore, from chamber to muzzle. With the first round of testing, I loaded five rounds in the magazine and let the bolt push rounds into the chamber. Next up, I want to see if "single loading" makes any difference.......or not. This barrels rear extension was "shrink-fit to the receiver", with the barrel held over-night in our meat freezer and the receiver in the oven at 250° for one hour. The fit is tight.
For me, this is both interesting and fun stuff to do.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
CPC precision works wonders reasonably. I get cloverleaf cold-shot groups past 75 yds with a transplanted river hammered blued barrel using selected ammo.
I shoot among much better shooters, so my heavy-barrel game requires a lot of practice.