First range session with my new 22/45 Tactical

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
Yesterday I was able to go out and pump a couple of different kinds of rounds through my new toy. I chose Federal AutoMatch 40 grainers and CCI "Quiet" for the first go around. I shot 50 rounds of the AutoMatch without any failures to fire or eject, and had good accuracy with the stock iron sights. The Quiets, as warned on the box, would not cycle the action, so I had to eject each cartridge case manually. A bit of a PIA, but the sound reduction was noticeable. ( I measured the decibel levels with my hokey, non-scientific "Decibel X" app on my iPhone, which registered 122 dB for the Federals and 106 with the Quiets. A significant decrease since the dB scale is logarithmic, not linear) I shot 30 rounds of the CCI's, and found the accuracy quite acceptable. I was shooting off-hand at 20 yards. Lots more work to do! And some different sights to try. But I really like the feel and operation of this pistol.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Any of you who are shooting the 22/45 Tactical have suggestions for very small, light weight red dot/reflex sight and very small, light weight lights/lasers for the lower rail? I'm lovin' it bare bones, but want to start dressing her up a bit!

Achigan

Single-Sixer
I put a Nikon Spur on my Hunter, $220. I've used Nikon products at work for 35 years and have their glass on a couple other firearms as well.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the recommendations, folks. I'll be using mine as a "quick draw" chicken defense weapon at ranges generally under 20 yards. My days of more precision shooting sort of exited with my eyesight several years ago. . .

Golly, I love (and I don't use that word often) the 22/45.
Went out to look for a feral tom cat last evening but didn't succeed so decided to unload by firing the chambered round at my gong. I used to clear the pistol this way every day when I came in from chores if it was still light enough. Anyway, "PFFFT"--"clank" (standing using a fence post as a front rest, on an 8" swinger @ 105 yards). How can you improve on that??????

PS
This pistol is equipped with a Burris FF3

mikein

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
Golly, I love (and I don't use that word often) the 22/45.
Went out to look for a feral tom cat last evening but didn't succeed so decided to unload by firing the chambered round at my gong. I used to clear the pistol this way every day when I came in from chores if it was still light enough. Anyway, "PFFFT"--"clank" (standing using a fence post as a front rest, on an 8" swinger @ 105 yards). How can you improve on that??????

PS
This pistol is equipped with a Burris FF3

I agree with you, Mobuck! The more I shoot it, the more I like it. I had a MK IV Target pistol that I really liked, but it was not exactly a "carry around with you" pistol; too large and heavy for any kind of carry but a shoulder holster. But this 22/45 fits the bill perfectly for an easy carry, and it's as accurate as I am capable of making it!!

"My days of more precision shooting sort of exited with my eyesight several years ago. . ."

Red dots knock 20 years off that problem. As long as you can see the target, you can simply forget about seeing the sights. My latest 22/45 workup sports a Bushnell TR25(tube type red dot). It's a bit bigger and at times the dot isn't perfectly round but it does away with the surface glare sometimes noted in the "open top" dot sights. I'm not sure what sort of sighting environment would require the higher brightness settings on the TR25 as I've found level 1 adequate for what I've done with it so far. The FastFire 3 has a setting only useable in very low light which I actually find very handy during "night hunts".

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The Vortex Venom (3 moa or 6 moa dot) is very small, light and reliable, the price is reasonable and the warranty unmatched. It should meet your needs very well.

mikein

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
The Vortex Venom (3 moa or 6 moa dot) is very small, light and reliable, the price is reasonable and the warranty unmatched. It should meet your needs very well.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

mikein

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking that the 3MOA dot is the best choice, too. A 6 can get a bit large and fuzzy, particularly at close range!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mikein said:
I'm thinking that the 3MOA dot is the best choice, too. A 6 can get a bit large and fuzzy, particularly at close range!
It depends on what you want to do with the gun. For precision shooting at moderate distances the 3 moa is certainly the better choice. For speed shooting, such as Steel Challenge, the 6 moa dot is faster to find and easier to hit with.

Remember, the dot intensity can be varied from barely visible to brake-light bright and if it is too large and fuzzy, turning down the brightness makes a big difference.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I use mine as a close range pest control piece as well as informal target shooting and just plain old plinking with the family. "Minute of Drink Can" is all the accuracy I need to make me happy with this rig. It's a "fun gun" and the only competition I'll be shooting it in is with family members and just for bragging rights around the supper table.

"I use mine as a close range pest control piece as well as informal target shooting and just plain old plinking with the family. "Minute of Drink Can" is all the accuracy I need to make me happy with this rig. It's a "fun gun" and the only competition I'll be shooting it in is with family members and just for bragging rights around the supper table."
Same here. The last "formal competition" I engaged in was 1971. I shoot for my own satisfaction.
I've tried the bigger dots and find they just don't get me where I want to be as an aiming point.