10/22 Ruger triggers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moey

Bearcat
I see they offer one at a reasonable price. Anyone have one? Opinion?

wwb

Hunter
There have been a whole bunch of posts on the Ruger trigger in the past..... I tried looking, but all I got was, "Sorry, you can not use the search feature at this time."

Maybe you'll have better luck. If I'm not mistaken, it's called the BX Trigger or something like that.

If memory serves, they were not too bad, but they also weren't very consistent. The packaging allowed you to try it.

Personally, I have a Hornet trigger in my target gun - had it for years before Ruger came out with theirs, and very satisfied with it.

http://hornetproducts.com/bin/category.asp?category=10

hittman

Staff member
Search rugerforum.com using Bing or Google for best results.

I put a BX trigger in my wife's 10/22, she really likes it. For the type of shooting that she does the BX trigger made a small difference in accuracy, but a big difference in how much fun she had shooting the gun. For me, it's just a lighter trigger pull which really doesn't affect my accuracy at all. The reviews on the Ruger site are very positive except for some who are comparing the BX to custom triggers that costs hundreds more than this drop in assembly.

The Ruger BX triggers are a big plus over the normal 10-22 triggers. On sale around 60 bucks, full price around 80. All the outdoor stores carry them even Bi Mart. Go to the store and try them out. The package allows you to cock and dry fire. Cool part if there is a rack of them, try them all there are differences. I got my at Cabelas after 10 minutes of finding the best. If you want a better trigger. There are several and all cost a lot more. Just me but, I have spent a lot more on a match rifle triggers, I will not spend 300 on a 10-22 plinker that did not cost that to start with.

I've always had an aversion to rewarding people for selling me bad stuff. Rather than buying the BX trigger from Ruger to "fix" my late model 10/22, I purchased a hammer from Volquartsen. It cost less and was a big improvement over the factory trigger much like the VQ sear for MKII pistols.

The benefit to the BX trigger is you don't have to be mechanically inclined to install one... Volquartsen replacement parts are better than the BX trigger but with that said, the best way to work on a 10/22 trigger group is to have a second one to compare while trying to put it all back together. I have to add that when ever I've modified one of my 10/22s triggers I've also fixed the really stupid bolt hold open part so that it works more naturally... push up while pulling the bolt back to lock open and the just pull the bolt back and release for it fall forward.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I have a BX on one of my 10/22's and was able to test a few until I found one at 2.5 pounds.
Shooting at 200 yards off hand I found the lighter trigger to be beneficial over the stock 6.5 pound.

coach

Hunter
I had Brimstone gunsmithing work on my stock trigger. About $40 plus shipping. They did a good job and it ended up with a 2 1/2 lb pull. The also modified the bolt release as part of the deal. Just pull bolt handle to release instead of the stock version. I never shot the BX trigger so I can't compare.

Throckmorton

Bearcat
"Shooting at 200 yards off hand I found the lighter trigger to be beneficial over the stock 6.5 pound."
The counteman at our Bimart said that all new rugers were coming with EIGHT pound + triggers,and he proved it to me with my guage and then his. UGH

I bought my BX that day for 50 bucks, slapped it in ,and MAN what an improvment over mine !

Did it make me a better shooter ? HAHA I wish.

I may buy a 'better' unit one day,but for my box stock gun most likely I won't.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
wwb said:
...Personally, I have a Hornet trigger in my target gun - had it for years before Ruger came out with theirs, and very satisfied with it.

Same here, so plus one on the Hornet. I've had a custom work trigger which was fine but sensitive to being clean or occasional doubles (or more). I have the BX on one 10/22. It's OK but the Hornet is much better.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
For about $60, the BX trigger is a far better value IMHO. If I were selling a $200 aftermarket trigger assy or re-build, I'd look for a different business plan.
I put these BX triggers in my hunting 10/22 guns. Simple decision.

Note: If Ruger can manufacture these and make a margin at 45-50 wholesale (direct to retailers), the manufacturing cost must be around 20 bucks or less...
so what would you think a "normal" 10/22 fire control assembly costs to build? Actually less than ten bucks?

Makes one wonder why the majority of 10/22 models can't be equipped with these "better" triggers?

mohavesam said:
For about $60, the BX trigger is a far better value IMHO. If I were selling a $200 aftermarket trigger assy or re-build, I'd look for a different business plan.
I put these BX triggers in my hunting 10/22 guns. Simple decision.

Note: If Ruger can manufacture these and make a margin at 45-50 wholesale (direct to retailers), the manufacturing cost must be around 20 bucks or less...
so what would you think a "normal" 10/22 fire control assembly costs to build? Actually less than ten bucks?

Makes one wonder why the majority of 10/22 models can't be equipped with these "better" triggers?

I have also questioned and hoped that Ruger would begin equipping all their 10/22's with the BX trigger, as I can't imagine there's any different costs to make either.

I have an assortment of high end triggers for my 10/22's as they come and go, and for the last few 10/22's I've bought, I left the Volquartsen/Jard/Kidd triggers in the drawer, and immediately installed the BX trigger, and have been well satisfied. Even my 10/22 Target had a horrible trigger that was replaced with a Brimstone. The BX trigger is every bit as good as the lower end Brimstone.

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
OK am I the only cheapskate in the group? I took my trigger apart and buffed out the hammer and sear to smooth out and lower the pull. I figured if I ruined it (would not be the first time I messed something up trying to fix it) I would then buy a new one.