Mark IV Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have a Competition Mark IV and it needs a trigger job. I can send it to Majestic but it costs me a fortune to send and receive a handgun from this particular part of SC.

I could order a VQ trigger kit if I was handy but I am not.

Anyone know if the Mark IV needs a particularly talented gunsmith or can I just try for a decent gunsmith?

Anyone know of a good gunsmith within 100 miles of Bluffton, SC (or Savannah, GA, which is right next door)?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There are several YouTube videos showing how to install the VQ kit into a MkIV. Watch them a few times until you get the concepts and decide if you can do the job yourself. The MkIV is quite straightforward to work on and it doesn't take more than a competent gunsmith to work on them, particularly a very easy job like the VQ kit installation.

BTW, the MkIV frame, which is where all of the trigger replacement parts are installed, is not the serial numbered part and is not, by ATF definition, a "firearm". You could ship it to the gunsmith of your choice through the US Post Office legally and at very modest cost. It does not have to be shipped to an FFL holder or by UPS or FedEX overnight. Remove the barrel/receiver (the serial numbered part) and ship only the frame.

hittman

Staff member
What's wrong with the trigger? Maybe a trip back to the mother ship is in order?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
hittman said:
What's wrong with the trigger? Maybe a trip back to the mother ship is in order?
I expect it's the usual Ruger MkIV factory trigger, high pull weight, creepy, etc. I know mine was and my first aftermarket purchase was the VQ action kit which transformed the gun.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. The idea of sending the frame back alone should solve the problem.

Actually, the trigger is pretty good. A little take up, which I don't mind, and then creep, but it is consistent and smooth creep and I can work with that. The final break is just a bit heavy for Bullseye shooting and this pistol is made for Bullseye. Very accurate and, for me, beautifully balanced for one handed shooting.

I would use it as is for two handed plinking and small game hunting but I want to use this one for target work. I just haven't found a good gunsmith locally. I would drive a few hours to take it to a good smith with the VQ kit but I don't know one.

contender

Ruger Guru
A member here,,, "1gunsnotenough" is a collector of the MKII Rugers. he's in Ga. and may know of a good gunsmith within your range. PM him, he's a great guy!

mikein

Single-Sixer
sjs said:
I have a Competition Mark IV and it needs a trigger job. I can send it to Majestic but it costs me a fortune to send and receive a handgun from this particular part of SC.

I could order a VQ trigger kit if I was handy but I am not.

Anyone know if the Mark IV needs a particularly talented gunsmith or can I just try for a decent gunsmith?

Anyone know of a good gunsmith within 100 miles of Bluffton, SC (or Savannah, GA, which is right next door)?

You don't really need to be handy, just patient. I'm a bit of a klutz, but I installed the VQ trigger kit on my MK IV Target with no problems at all. VQ even has a video on replacing MK IV triggers; and there are other, non-VQ YouTubes you can watch to help you through the process. I took pictures of every step and even pictures of all the parts I removed and replaced, just in case. Sailed through it in less than a half hour, and I'll bet you can, too! Just do your staff work; watch the videos; work in a well-lighted space; and take your time. It's not a sprint, it's 2 mile race, so pace yourself. You CAN DO IT!

JStacy

Blackhawk
SGW gun shop ,Dennis Wood owner, is a Ruger expert and the most capable person I know to work on Rugers. Look him up he posts on here . You can send your grip frame to him , fast turnaround and reasonable prices.

http://www.saronagunworks.com:2082/

cas6969

Buckeye
I recently put a Volquartsen sear and a Tandem Kross trigger in my MrkIII, I'm more than happy with the results.

While I'm far from a stranger to working on guns and taking them apart, I'd never been inside a .22/45 before.

I learned the secrets watching this video. If she can do it, you can do it.

https://youtu.be/Yd2L8_xSOCk