Ruger Mark 4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gilman11

Bearcat
Shot today for first time. Mags occasionally falling out. Not a new shooter so I make sure they're seated. I'm a lefty so wondering if I'm hitting the release. Any other lefties out there?

Gilman11

Bearcat
Cleaned the mags after I got home. I like the gun a lot. Very accurate and it ate everything I fed it.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Gilman11 said:
Shot today for first time. Mags occasionally falling out. Not a new shooter so I make sure they're seated. I'm a lefty so wondering if I'm hitting the release. Any other lefties out there?

That seems to be a common issue with some of the Mark IV pistols. Try removing the magazine eject assist under the left grip panel and see if that quells the problem. That part is plastic and when it is ejected from the injection mould and hardens up completely, it can distort enough to cause that issue.

If your pistol does indeed keep the magazines held fast in the grip frame with that ejector removed, you may need to do some reshaping of the plastic part or remove a few coils from the spring. Or just rely on the magazine latch/release and and leave the assist out.

RSIno1

Hunter
SGW Gunsmith said:
That part is plastic and when it is ejected from the injection mould and hardens up completely, it can distort enough to cause that issue.

The bean counters strike again. Cheap plastic instead of a metal part - even their budget molded metal would be better. Typical new Ruger problems. You are their quality control. They'll fix it but why did it make it out the door in the first place?
My rule: Never buy a Ruger built after Bill Ruger died.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
RSIno1 said:
SGW Gunsmith said:
That part is plastic and when it is ejected from the injection mould and hardens up completely, it can distort enough to cause that issue.

The bean counters strike again. Cheap plastic instead of a metal part - even their budget molded metal would be better. Typical new Ruger problems. You are their quality control. They'll fix it but why did it make it out the door in the first place?
My rule: Never buy a Ruger built after Bill Ruger died.

Yes, it's really hard to get excited when I find plastic parts on any Ruger. I took the 'magazine ejector' out of several Ruger Mark IV pistols and thereafter the magazines clicked much better into place. I did put a few of the aftermarket metal ejectors in some Mark IV guns and those fit much better and really 'zing' an empty magazine out of the grip frame when the release is pressed.

yS8a5Dbl.jpg