MK IV recall experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
What has been your experience with the recall process? They mention a 1 week turnaround, and having been through several firearm recalls (not Ruger) I just wonder what the real elapsed time is going to be. I know they're working on the safety; does anyone know what they actually do to the piece during this refit/retrofit/repair?

Thunderstick

Bearcat
Mine was more like 3-4 weeks from the time it left my house until it was returned. Once they started work the turn around was about a week. Not a big deal though and they give you a magazine for your trouble

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Thunderstick said:
Mine was more like 3-4 weeks from the time it left my house until it was returned. Once they started work the turn around was about a week. Not a big deal though and they give you a magazine for your trouble

This, above....had to finally call them to find out where my gun was, in Ruger defense, they were doing a herd of pistols at the time.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Mine took them one day after they received the gun. Since I live in Arizona shipping was fast, only one day up and one day back. This was at the height of the recall. And, I got a free magazine. Now that's service.

I also had to send it in a second time because the barrel came loose. One day turnaround again.

mikein

Single-Sixer
OK, thanks, folks. Did they tell you what, exactly, they did to fix the problem that caused the recall in the first place?

Mine left Pennsylvania on a Monday and I had it back(with an extra magazine) the following Monday. The gun shot exactly the same after the recall as it did before so I really don't care what they did.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
mikein said:
What has been your experience with the recall process? They mention a 1 week turnaround, and having been through several firearm recalls (not Ruger) I just wonder what the real elapsed time is going to be. I know they're working on the safety; does anyone know what they actually do to the piece during this refit/retrofit/repair?

You gotta do what you feel will help you sleep better.

I've had at least 20 Ruger Mark IV pistols cross my bench since the recall was announced. I have received letters from Ruger involving Ruger Mark IV pistols that I ordered and sold to customers. Ruger expects me to contact these folks and get them to send their pistols back for the recall. Some succumb to that request and others, well they feel if Ruger can't get it right the first time, why let someone there just swap a part?

Take this for what it's worth, but here's a before and after picture of what I've seen. The safety plate has two changes. They added an "S" to the round white dot, and the configuration of the hook on the safety plate, that captures the sear, has a sharper angle to it. Depth of the "U" notch remains the same.

TcMFAAll.jpg

mikein

Single-Sixer
Thanks very much, Blackhawk! I appreciate the information and the picture. From the tone of your narrative, it doesn't sound like you think the parts swap is really all that necessary. And from the reviews I've seen, it sounds like if a person takes the normal, gun handling precautions of keeping the barrel pointed in a safe direction, dropping the magazine, and cycling the action for an eyeball check of the chamber, the accidental discharge would never happen. I'm going to send mine in, if, for no other reason, the resale issue.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have one of the early MkIVs (WBR serial number prefix) and I fitted the complete Volquartsen action kit (hammer, sear, trigger) soon after I bought it. When the recall was announced my first check was to see if my gun failed the partial safety hammer drop test that caused the recall. My gun did not have any problems with the safety and I never sent it in for the recall. From what I later read, VQ equipped guns did not fail the test, only some factory guns.

mikein

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
I have one of the early MkIVs (WBR serial number prefix) and I fitted the complete Volquartsen action kit (hammer, sear, trigger) soon after I bought it. When the recall was announced my first check was to see if my gun failed the partial safety hammer drop test that caused the recall. My gun did not have any problems with the safety and I never sent it in for the recall. From what I later read, VQ equipped guns did not fail the test, only some factory guns.

22/45 Fan, mine is an early, WBR serial numbered piece as well. Mine is stock as a rock, and I tried on mulitple occasions to make it fail in the manner Ruger said it could fail, and never could make it happen. But just to be on the safe side, and to make sure that if I decide to sell it, the safety recall is not an issue, I sent it in for the retrofit.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If I ever want to sell mine I will send it in for the recall but to do so now would mean removing all of the VQ parts and then getting a modified sear and trigger bar from VQ after the recall work is done. It's not worth the effort for a gun currently without a problem.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I certainly agree with that! I installed a VQ target trigger package on one of my 10/22's and the results are amazing. Trigger pull went from 6 1/4 pounds to 2 1/2 pounds and eliminated all the creep. I'd have to really think about having to uninstall it for any reason, but I did keep all of the original parts in a small plastic bag!

mikein

Single-Sixer
OK, mine went in to the USPS system exactly 7 days ago, today. I'll let everyone know when I get it back. In fairness to Ruger, I live in a little, rural town in the heart of no-where-in-particular, so our Postal "service" is not necessarily the very best. It costs the same; it's just not very good.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I dropped mine off on 4/20, and just got an email from Ruger saying that they got my MK IV and will "look into it!" I'm underwhelmed. Now we'll see how long it takes them to turn it around. I'll keep you posted. . . I'm just glad I have lots of other pistol options at my disposal.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I just got back from the Post Office with my newly recall-fitted MK IV in my hand. I dropped it in the mail on 4/20 and got it back on 4/30. There were 4 weekend days in that mix, so I'm pretty happy with the turnaround time Ruger provided to me on this issue.