Why no Ruger MK-V 22 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There has been no rush by any of the other popular .22 semi-auto makers to make a model in .22 Mag. S&W, Beretta and Browning have also never tried it so either they don't perceive that the demand is there or there are some serious mechanical issues that can't be solved with in the size and weight constraints of the current models.

AFAIK, the only .22Mag semi-auto pistol now available is the Kel-Tec PMR30

9x19

Hunter
Highstandardguy said:
Rock Island also has a 1911 style 22 mag.

Indeed they do, and mine runs just fine, no failures to feed, fire or eject. I did need to polish the face of the slide stop to get reliable slide lock on an empty mag.

Mine shoots the Fiocchi 40gr JSP slightly better than the CCI 40gr JHP (the only two loads I've tried), but it shoots both to the same point of aim. The 14 round mags function fine and are of quality materials. I did replace the grips on mine as I didn't care for the factory rubber.

8hY2KcR.jpg

Yes.......but they could modify it to fit the 22 mag & make them.....I'll buy one in stainless.....bet others would also, just sayin' & wishin'.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The .22Mag is notoriously difficult to design a semi-auto action around, rifle or pistol. Not just due to its length but also its pressure curve. Then there's also the issue of cost. Most people expect a rimfire to be cheap and fire cheap ammo. A properly designed and engineered .22Mag semi-auto will be neither cheap, nor fire cheap ammo. Many have tried, most have failed. Ruger is probably reluctant over its failed 10/22Mag. Which is a shame because the .22Mag is a wonderful game cartridge. It's just not meant for cheap plinking and many shooters have a hang-up about that.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
To add....how many 22 mag rounds are shot from a SS6 convertible? I bet most mag cylinders never used on the convertables. IMO 22mag is a rifle round.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Rocdoc said:
IMO 22mag is a rifle round.
Sort of but not really. While it was originally designed for rifles, it behaves more like a magnum revolver cartridge and uses the same type of powder. There exists a misconception that the .22Mag is a rifle cartridge loaded with slow burning rifle powder more suitable to rifle length barrels and that is simply not the case. Powders are not chosen for barrel length but case capacity and pressure range. So the .22Mag lacks the capacity to utilize a true rifle powder. You'll find that it actually contains something more like 2400 or H110. The .17HMR is an early example of Lil Gun being used in a factory cartridge. While they do gain a few hundred feet per second in rifle barrels they also do very well in handguns yielding about 1350-1400fps out of a 5½" revolver. A good +300fps over the .22LR. The .22Mag just suffers seriously from being misunderstood and pigeon-holed as the .22LR's louder more expensive brother but little beyond that. Which is a shame because it's a fantastic hunting cartridge, rifle or handgun.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Let us see now. My 7 1/2" Super Single Six will hit 1700fps with 22MAG ammunition and shoot it or 22WRF far FAR more accurately than any 22LR ammunition. It is also a killin' SumBee with results far exceeding it's diminuative size.
And so it goes...

Rocdoc said:
To add....how many 22 mag rounds are shot from a SS6 convertible? I bet most mag cylinders never used on the convertables. IMO 22mag is a rifle round.

Most of my various Single Sixes have their magnum cylinder installed. It's a lot more capable cartridge than most folks give it credit for being.

Kanook

Buckeye
A little pricey 22mag https://volquartsen.com/products/1240-scorpion-22-wmr-pistol

I have several Single Six convertibles. One 5.5" bbl model always has the 22mag cylinder installed, and several boxes of 22 mag ammo stored with the revolver, just in case I need to "grab 'n go". It isn't a cheap plinker but definitely a fun, good shooter. I thought seriously about getting a PMR-30 but just couldn't see any more reason for it but a good way to waste ammo with that 30 round mag. And then along came the ammo shortage and I knew I didn't need something I couldn't feed!

The problem I see with the 22 mag in handguns is the muzzle blast. While not such a big deal on the range, the ear splitting blast when used in the field w/o ear protection is uncomfortable to say the least. At that level, I'll just use a 38 SP.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
hot chili powder said:
Yes.......but they could modify it to fit the 22 mag & make them.....I'll buy one in stainless.....bet others would also, just sayin' & wishin'.
It would not be a "modification", it would require a complete redesign and, in effect, be a completely different pistol.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
The problem I see with the 22 mag in handguns is the muzzle blast. While not such a big deal on the range, the ear splitting blast when used in the field w/o ear protection is uncomfortable to say the least. At that level, I'll just use a 38 SP.
True, the muzzle blast from a .22Mag handgun is considerable but it damages your hearing with .22LR as well. Won't hunt with either without hearing protection. The .38Spl and any of the big bores are fantastic small game cartridges with mild loads and cast bullets but you get a lot flatter trajectory out of the 1400fps .22Mag than any .38Spl load.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Rocdoc said:

The mag cylinder stays in my SS almost all the time. .22 mag can be a very fun and useful handgun cartridge, especially with the new offerings from Hornady and Speer that are designed to be used in short barrels. I have no interest in a MK3 or MK4 in .22LR, but I would buy one in .22WMR for sure!

grobin

Blackhawk
I feel that Ruger is missing what appears to be a growing market. Not long ago there were some rifles in WMR then the KelTec came out. Ruger has a bunch of revolvers in WMR but no pistols. Rock Island Armory just came out with a 1911 type in WMR.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Ruger made at least one prototype Mark II pistol in the .17 HM2 caliber:

4eROfxAm.jpg

The pistol could not take the "recoil impulse energy" from the Mach II cartridge, so the production plans were abandoned. If you look closely, the cartridges used in the picture are the .17 HMR, the .17 Mach II cartridges were not yet available from Hornady. If this gun couldn't take the .17 Mach II cartridge, it's not likely that a .22 Magnum version will be forthcoming
Although the write-up names the pistol as a Ruger Mark III, there doesn't seem to be the Mark III magazine latch/release in use on this sample.
I think Ruger missed the boat by not proceeding with this style pistol in .22 Long Rifle caliber. I know I would have had one as soon as they were available.

grobin

Blackhawk
I agree that Ruger is missing the boat here! How much reengineering would be necessary I don't know. A varmit/hunting/home defense version with a long barrel would be great; particularly if fitted with a linear muzzle brake that reduces muzzle blast and sound by sending them down range. I've a Henry mare's leg with a 12.5" barrel; the noise and muzzle blast are negligible . But it's fun while being awkward to shoot and the sights suck. There is definitely room for another pistol in WMR. Particularly as the KelTech is only available with a 30 round magazine, which eliminates it in many states.