Why no Ruger MK-V 22 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
While I'd love to have one, as long as it looked more like a Ruger and less like the VQ, there is no boat to miss.

grobin

Blackhawk
Frankly I think that you are wrong! There are a bunch of WMR: revolvers, lever actions, single shot, bolt, semi auto rifle, (I don't know of any pumps). But there are only two pistols and they are limited availability. I don't know the market that well nor do I know how much effort it would take to engineer a Mark IV with a 6 to 8" threaded barrel in WMR-but it would sell! How many is the question given the underserved niche.

Add: I forgot about some of the mini hideouts. I have one in 22or and WMR. I didn't include them as mine is unpleasant even in 22lr and WMR downright painful. But as a last resort it is good.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
"In all this excitement, I don't know if I fired 4, or did I fire 5 rounds. I lost my hearing after the first round. But, do you feel lucky PUNK?"

Yme6RGjm.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
grobin said:
Frankly I think that you are wrong! There are a bunch of WMR: revolvers, lever actions, single shot, bolt, semi auto rifle, (I don't know of any pumps). But there are only two pistols and they are limited availability. I don't know the market that well nor do I know how much effort it would take to engineer a Mark IV with a 6 to 8" threaded barrel in WMR-but it would sell! How many is the question given the underserved niche.

Add: I forgot about some of the mini hideouts. I have one in 22or and WMR. I didn't include them as mine is unpleasant even in 22lr and WMR downright painful. But as a last resort it is good.
No one appreciates the .22Mag more than I do. I've been shooting and enjoying it for 30yrs. The old man still has an Automag II that never gave any trouble and it was always fun at the range. I've done a good bit of hunting with the cartridge out of both rifles and handguns. A S&W 648 is one of those rare guns I traded and have regretted ever since. However, those of us who would appreciate a .22Mag semi-auto pistol are limited in number. A great many find no utility in the .22Mag at all, let alone out of a pistol, much less out of a semi-auto. The very limited market for such a critter, coupled with the difficulty in engineering one at an acceptable price point, is the reason why we don't and probably never will see one. Ruger is probably particularly leery due to the failure of the 10/22Mag.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ahh, the failure of the 10-22 Mag has long been racked up as actually two design failures, the single-extractor design and the double-extractor design.

I call my 22WMRF rifles "headshot rifles".

pharmer

Single-Sixer
As an 01 FFL in the '80's and 90's, I sold a few Automag II's. EVERY ONE was traded off after the owner got tired of trying to make it work semi-reliably. I usually gave them a good deal on a replacement instead of an "I told you so." Don't have any experience with current models although the KelTec has come down in price nicely. Joe