New SR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My SP101 revolver's trigger pull is a bit much for my wife, and I want us to go shoot together when we can. The SR22 looked like a great option, so I got one a couple of days ago.

First, the slide is stiff, and very difficult to pull back, for me - impossible for my wife. I'd like some comments, but I am assuming this is a "new pistol" syndrome and that the springs will "set" after about 500 rounds, from what I've read here and on other forums. I've got some CCI mini-mag rounds and I intend to bring the SR22 along when I practice with the revolver, running fifty to a hundred through it each time to break it in over time.

I found lots of videos online about cleaning it. I ran a lightly oiled q-tip across the inside of the lowers where the slide rubs it, and also on the slide itself, but it only made a minor difference. I wonder if a very light coating of gun grease (I've got some Hoppe's) will help further. Or is that a bad idea?

Finally, while I have no desire to CC this pistol I got interested in some of the vides on that subject. I learned something that you all may know already, but I'm passing it along in case this is news: When carrying a 22 for self defense, there is a temptation to use hollow point ammo, for the published benefits. But, in a pistol with a 3" barrel, such ammo never "mushrooms," according to tests run by a guy who actually shot several rounds into a gel block and got video from a side view. A rifle, on the other hand, gives such ammo sufficient muzzle velocity to mushroom within the gel block's length. The pistol does not, so the extra money spent on .22LR HP handgun ammo is wasted.

Alex

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Racking the slide on a small gun like this can be difficult. It was for my wife, until I showed her the recommended way.

Have her try this: https://thewellarmedwoman.com/training-handling/racking-the-slide-of-your-gun/

As for ammo, go with the heaviest grn solid (usually 40gr) with the highest advertised mv. It will at least penetrate deeper.

mac66

Single-Sixer
The slide will rack easier if you cock the hammer first. It will also get easier to rack with use and practice. For cleaning and lubing I use CLP, period.

One of my SR22s is used by my wife as her primary HD gun. It is her favorite gun and she shoots it the the best. Having confidence in being able to hit something is a big factor in self defense. A 22 isn't ideal but it is better than nothing. As previously noted by others it is kept loaded with solids, holstered with the safety off.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
It's a bit late since you already have the SR22 but may I suggest a MkIV 22/45 Lite? It's a light gun at 25 oz and adding the TandemKross "Halo" bolt racker will make it easy to load even for weak hands. It will also be a lot easier to shoot well than the SR22 as the adjustable sights are a big plus.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I would suggest adding pieces of stair tread tape to the grip areas of the slide. Some has a sand paper texture some have a rubberized texture. Installed this on the wife's LCP. It helps a lot.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
With the proper technique, as shown in the link above, most folks can rack most semi autos.

Don't know if it will make much difference, but I found that using Frog Lube smoothed up the slide movement on several of my semi autos. Follow the instructions and thoroughly degrease the slide before the first application, and warm the slide before or after application of the Frog Lube.

There are several devices available that can help.

https://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-devices-supplement-technique/

hittman

Staff member
My daughter, son in law and 15 year old granddaughter each have one.

All can work them just fine. Never a problem. They all eat the cheapest bulk Federal or Winchester 22LR without fail.

Thanks, all, for the great advice. I will especially give the "cock the hammer" a try, and maybe some extra lube. I believe that by the time zi'm finished trying all these ideas the gun will probably be broken in!

There's no sin in overlubing a new gun. Try to keep it off the grip is the only cautionary I have.
As far as actually using the SR22, I load it and leave it. Mine lives with a round in the chamber, safety off, and holstered.
Safety de-cockers are fine and even preferable when loading the chamber in places where an AD would be a disaster BUT for my use, I never leave the safety engaged.

Latest posts