barrel issue on 22/45 mkIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimsails

Bearcat
A few years ago I received a 22/45 with replaceable wood grips and a bull barrel for Christmas. I have a bore scope that was marketed as 5mm that I purchased at amazon and have used it for looking at barrels for other 22lr rifles. when I tried to used it for my Ruger pistol, it only went down the barrel a little way and the shroud around the camera got stuck. When I tried to remove the camera the shroud came off and it was wedged in the barrel. When looking through the camera it seems that the area either just under or just behind the front sight is constricted compared to the rest of the barrel. The trifling finish is different in the constriction as well(shinier). I have had the pistol for several years and have made no modifications etc. I am sure I have put several hundred rounds through this pistol before noticing. I do not have a way to measure the barrel diameter.

1.) Does this seem like an issue I should contact Ruger about?
2.) If so who would that be?

hittman

Staff member
Hmmm.....Is the shroud plastic or metal?
If plastic maybe run a wood dowel down the barrel and push it out?
Ruger customer service will likely not want to diagnose it over the phone and will want you to ship it to them.
Good news about that is the "fix" will likely be free.

jimsails

Bearcat
I was able to remove the shroud. I am only concerned about the constriction/pinch. This seems so odd because the mfg process should create uniform bore/rifling. could it have happened when the barrel was clamped to mill the front sight base?

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
jimsails said:
A few years ago I received a 22/45 with replaceable wood grips and a bull barrel for Christmas. I have a bore scope that was marketed as 5mm that I purchased at amazon and have used it for looking at barrels for other 22lr rifles. when I tried to used it for my Ruger pistol, it only went down the barrel a little way and the shroud around the camera got stuck. When I tried to remove the camera the shroud came off and it was wedged in the barrel. When looking through the camera it seems that the area either just under or just behind the front sight is constricted compared to the rest of the barrel. The trifling finish is different in the constriction as well(shinier). I have had the pistol for several years and have made no modifications etc. I am sure I have put several hundred rounds through this pistol before noticing. I do not have a way to measure the barrel diameter.

1.) Does this seem like an issue I should contact Ruger about?
2.) If so who would that be?
I suspect your barrel has become fouled with lead.
One of my Buck Marks does this on occasion. It takes a good amount of cleaning with a brass brush on your cleaning rod to get it out. A solvent like Shooter's Choice Lead Remover will speed up the process some.
Regards,
Greg

Latest posts