22 semi-auto

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Katz

Bearcat
Looking for my woods carry gun...SR22 looks good does anyone use it with 22lr bulk ammo that is dependable?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NOT impressed with the SR22 in the least. Mine has 5130 rounds through it as we speak , gobbles up ammo incessently, and shoots like a cheapassed noisy slingshot. It's accuracy is barely sufficient to hit #10 cans [ those are the BIG fatassed ones restaraunts get their vegetables etc in...] at 25 yards.
Sooooooooo...I rebarreled it and near as I can call it it shoots not one whit better. In case you're wondering I can easily shoot 1.00" groups at 25 yards out of ALL my MKII pistols with their favored ammunition.
And so it goes...

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Katz said:
Looking for my woods carry gun...SR22 looks good does anyone use it with 22lr bulk ammo that is dependable?

Well, you didn't ask about whether the SR22 was a worthy "target" pistol, so to answer your inquiry, yes, it is a very dependable pistol for the investment involved. I have sold several to local customers and two of those customers are "fur trappers" who need to pop a trapped skunk in their smallish head every now and then. Those two guys don't use Eley Target ammunition for that sort of work, but mostly Federal Auto-Match ( bulk stuff ).

The wife shoots her SR22 quite well, and has a Crimson Trace green laser that helps with quick target acquisition when that's needed.

vLsheL9l.jpg

She's still working on what's left of a case of Remington "Viper" ammunition, and that pistol runs fantastic. I did replace the factory "black noodle" plastic recoil spring guide rod though. I turned a replacement on my lathe using "fatigue proof" steel purchased from Brownells.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I have one suggestion, based on what mine did.

Start with GOOD ammo, for the first fifty to one hundred rounds.
I didn't and it leaded up so quickly that it was a shot-gun pattern at 25
feet by the third magazine. It took quite a bit of elbow grease to get the
bore cleaned out, but has been . . . NO . . . further problem.

Actually I think Ruger used a batch of really cheap ammo to test fire it.
Once the crud was cleaned out I have been able to shoot virtually
anything in the way of ammo, since.

Got the grand son one and cleaned the heck out of it to start with.
Zero problems with his. :D

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
57springer said:
Did Ruger ever fix the front sight issues ? The sights just fell off if I recall ?

I haven't read about or encountered that specific issue. While the front sight is indeed plastic, the base is dovetailed into place, so the only means whereby it can come out is either to the right or left. Plastic sights are just one of those things that make a little bit of breakfast come back up and onto my tongue.

There was an issue with the first series run of the SR22 pistols where the take-down latch was breaking off, but that was rectified long ago.

9x19

Hunter
57springer said:
Did Ruger ever fix the front sight issues ? The sights just fell off if I recall ?

...or the take down latch breaking, or the barrel screws coming loose?

I've owned two and IMO, the SR22 is not their best effort.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'll second the above post. I had two SR22 pistols and sold them both. I bought a Walther p22 (first revision) and get much better accuracy with it. I never could find a grip that fit my hand despite the Ruger's options. YMMV.

If you choose to keep the SR22 in your life, at least use the best ammunition you can buy. And buy an ultrasonic cleaner (use often).

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
9x19 said:
57springer said:

...or the take down latch breaking, or the barrel screws coming loose?

I've owned two and IMO, the SR22 is not their best effort.

Yep, they sure did. After the first batch they indeed fixed the take-down latch. Haven't read anything about, or seen that issue for a couple of years now. Loose screws can be an issue with any firearm. I even read about an outfit called "Loctite®" who makes a magical potion that will secure loose screws but still leave those screws to fall prey to a hex wrench and normal turning pressure. Amazing, eh?

57springer

Buckeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
57springer said:

I haven't read about or encountered that specific issue. While the front sight is indeed plastic, the base is dovetailed into place, so the only means whereby it can come out is either to the right or left. Plastic sights are just one of those things that make a little bit of breakfast come back up and onto my tongue.

There was an issue with the first series run of the SR22 pistols where the take-down latch was breaking off, but that was rectified long ago.
I remember a long thread here shortly after they were released on the front sight :?:

Xsales

Buckeye
The SR22 is a decent pistol but for my needs of a wanting a deadly accurate and spot on pistol I'll stick with my MKII 22/45 :D

Never thought it would replace it, but I tried the SR22 for the heck of it and sold it
Yes, it fired well with any cheap ammo I ran through it so no issue there

I use an SR22 as a platform to do suppressor demonstrations and have had no problems with it at all. The wife has one (Purple - by her choice) with a laser and she really likes it. I have 3 others that haven't been fired yet 2 are consecutive serial numbers (won at the ROCS dinner at the OGCA show in 2015) and one I won at the ROCS dinner at OGCA this year (don't know what I'm going to do with it yet).

The one I use with different 22 cal suppressors has never given me any troubles with or without the suppressors attached. I use CCI Quiet and Remington Subsonic along with whatever I grab to show people the differences in different velocity 22's. The wife's (non suppressed) has never given her any problems at all. I've never tested them for accuracy because the shooting distances for the demo's is usually 7-15 yards and the target is an 8" steel plate (no one has missed yet).

I consider the SR22 as a plinking/fun gun. If I want greater accuracy I go to my Mark series, Charger, or .22 rifles.

RandyP

Bearcat
On a different approach - For woods/trail/pack it's hard to beat a nice rimfire revolver.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
The SR22 fits your requirements. Lightweight, accurate (not a target pistol) and durable / low maintenance. I shoot bulk Ammo, it hits as aimed, cycles every time, and is fun to ping cans with.

I have a ruger LCR 22 that I don't shoot as well, not as accurate from my experience. But lightweight, heavy trigger.

Katz

Bearcat
mikem2 said:
The SR22 fits your requirements. Lightweight, accurate (not a target pistol) and durable / low maintenance. I shoot bulk Ammo, it hits as aimed, cycles every time, and is fun to ping cans with.

I have a ruger LCR 22 that I don't shoot as well, not as accurate from my experience. But lightweight, heavy trigger.

I sold my LCR in 22lr didn't shoot it well....going to do the same for my 22mag too.

kramden

Blackhawk
I purchased 2 rimfire pistols. One a Ruger SR22 and a Smith&Wesson MP22. Both are excellent. I prefer the MP22 simply because of the bigger gun feel. As far as ammo goes I'm really becoming a big fan of Aquila ammo. I'd never heard of it but saw it being discussed on different websites. I find it to be on par with CCI and very accurate. I use the Super Extra 40 grain. Red and white box. Target Sports USA has it . 5000 rounds for $229 and free shipping.

Small cat food cans at 25 yards don't stand a chance with a variety of bulk ammo including Remington Goldens and Thunders. Reliability is great. Light, fun, NO complaints. Won't sell the Colt or S & W, but this is now my walk in woods, forget it's on my hip until I need it, gun.