Holster for Mark IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
I'm looking for a holster for my new Ruger Mark IV Standard with a 6 inch barrel. I'd like a tight fitting leather holster but I'm open for suggestions.
I thought this should be easy. Some may suggest holsters for the Mark III. I have found out many of those dont work despite what the manufacturer says.
I went to Ruger's web site and found this. It's advertised for Mark III or Mark IV
50099.jpg

http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-I...lt-Holster-RH-6-7_8-Barrel/productinfo/50099/
Looking at the reviews everyone either loved it or hated it. The people that hate it say the Mark IV doesn't fit. It presses against the magazine eject button.
Here's what one guy says:
I trusted Ruger when it said this holster fits the new MK IV. Turns out it is just the old MK III holster and trying to put my new MK IV in it is like me trying to fit into my 40 year old Prom Tuxido. With alot of effort I can get into it but I dont dare to try and sit down. Its going to take alot of leatherwork to make this holster work with the MK IV.

So my question is who has a holster that nicely fits a Mark IV? I want to make sure it really fits before I put the money down.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I am looking at the Tandemcross Kydex holster. It looks pretty good. I've been searching for something for my Mark IV Hunter. Take a look. :)

https://www.tandemkross.com/BlackDog-Red-Dot-Scoped-Holster-HIGH-RIDE-for-MK-Series-SW22-Victory_p_87.html

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I use the Kydex holster from Tandemkross so I can use my gun with a red dot sight on it.

For the leather holster, wrap you gun in a plastic bag, dip the gun and holster in water and then mold the holster to the gun. It will fit perfectly.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
teuthis said:
I am looking at the Tandemcross Kydex holster. It looks pretty good. I've been searching for something for my Mark IV Hunter. Take a look. :)
thumbnail.asp

I've been thinking about that same holster. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to decide before you buy it if you want it to ride high or low.
It would be great if you could just change 4 screws and change it's position.

It would be nice if it was low. But when I need to sit down I'd want it high. I don't know yet.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
AzShooter1 said:
For the leather holster, wrap you gun in a plastic bag, dip the gun and holster in water and then mold the holster to the gun. It will fit perfectly.

I really like your idea. I've heard similar suggestions for a boot. Soak your new boot and then walk around all day with it. Then it'll fit just fine.
Who wants to do that with a boot?!?
But I might give that a try with a holster. If I do, I'll oil up the gun thoroughly and use the plastic like you recommended. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I'll also want to add extra padding around the magazine release button to make sure the button doesn't get depressed. It's no good to have the magazine shoot out the rear whenever you put you gun in your holster.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
Hey, TandemKross also has a nylon holster. That should work for the new Mark IV.
product_holster_nylon_mkiv.jpg

I guess it's not as nice as either holster mentioned but you get what you pay for ($19.99)

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I am waiting to see if Uncle Mike's comes out with one for the Hunter. They have good quality for the money.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
That "Triple K" is a very nice looking holster and it's especially nice in leather. I have, and use a Black Dog holster that I bought when they first became available. It's the very same holster that Tandemkross buys and then resells, so you might even get it a bit cheaper from the original source. I added some ¼-inch thick open cell foam with one side sticky to the inside, bottom end of this holster, to keep the barrel from jiggling around and banging against the plastic and wearing on the bluing. Those 1-inch wide strips of foam work well to hold the pistol still when walking around.
If I had it to do over.............I would go with leather.

q5CbmDil.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SGW Gunsmith said:
I have, and use a Black Dog holster that I bought when they first became available. It's the very same holster that Tandemkross buys and then resells, so you might even get it a bit cheaper from the original source...........If I had it to do over.............I would go with leather.
I bought the Black Dog holster for my then MkII 22/45 when they first hit the market too for two reasons:

1. It's ambidextrous and, since I'm left-handed, that was a major consideration. Mine came with both high and low mount belt brackets which was a plus.
2. It clears most red dots or scopes as long as the mounting rail doesn't extend beyond the barrel/receiver interface. That's a big plus.

It fits my new MkIV and it has been secure and solid.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
23836282708_bb980d3d44_c.jpg

One more thing to add about the Triple K holster for the Mark IV, I find it sometimes turns off my safety. It doesn't happen often but once I realized what was going on I can prevent it when I insert my pistol. The problem was the strap that flaps down over the opening. I would insert my pistol behind the strap and push the strap out of the way. This would occasionally push my safety. I don't know if this is an issue when used with the Mark III which has a different safety latch.

Otherwise I have been very happy with this holster. :D

cedartop

Bearcat
I bought a Triple K holster which fits perfectly. I can't remember if I bought direct or from Ruger. Here are pics of the front and back. The text imprinted on the back is shown in the photo:

holsterfront.jpg

holsterback.jpg

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Durango Dave said:
23836282708_bb980d3d44_c.jpg

One more thing to add about the Triple K holster for the Mark IV, I find it sometimes turns off my safety. It doesn't happen often but once I realized what was going on I can prevent it when I insert my pistol. The problem was the strap that flaps down over the opening. I would insert my pistol behind the strap and push the strap out of the way. This would occasionally push my safety. I don't know if this is an issue when used with the Mark III which has a different safety latch.

Otherwise I have been very happy with this holster. :D

That is a VERY nice lookin' holster.

clemency

Bearcat
I've got one of these I got back in the 80s along with a long gone Super Blackhawk. Fits my 22/45 Mk IV well, and could easily accommodate a longer barreled version. Maybe not too easy to find these days though. Lyon and Coulson H34. :)

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pict/182523765393_/Vintage-Leather-Lyon-and-Coulson-holster-and-belt.jpg

cedartop

Bearcat
Just a note that Triple K makes more than one holster for the Mark IV. The one I have does not interfere with the safety at all:
holsterfront.jpg