Ammo Question: Ruger SR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ronpurdue

Bearcat
Hello, ok new to forums and to 22 pistols. I only have a 9mm.

Recently purchased a SR22 3600 pistol then decided to go buy ammo online. However my buddy told me I bought the wrong ammo and it would damage my gun. He told me mag would damage gun and I needed rimfire vs rifle ammo. I personally thought any .22 LR was ok. So if I just wasted 40 bucks can someone recommend ammo that is HV that is cheap and will work please ?

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cci-mini-mag%E2%84%A2-22-lr-40-grain-high-velocity-rifle-ammunition#repChildCatid=298102

CCI® Mini-Mag™ .22 LR 40-Grain High Velocity Rifle Ammunition
Specifications

Grain weight: 40
Number of rounds: 100
Hunting - Species: Varmint
Caliber: .22 LR

reloader

Single-Sixer
That ammo will work just fine. Most 22LR ammo works in the SR22 as that is what it was designed for.
Mini-Mag is just a name it is not magnum ammo.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Ronpurdue said:

Recently purchased a SR22 3600 pistol then decided to go buy ammo online. However my buddy told me I bought the wrong ammo and it would damage my gun. He told me mag would damage gun and I needed rimfire vs rifle ammo. I personally thought any .22 LR was ok. So if I just wasted 40 bucks can someone recommend ammo that is HV that is cheap and will work please ?

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cci-mini-mag%E2%84%A2-22-lr-40-grain-high-velocity-rifle-ammunition#repChildCatid=298102

Specifications

You're right, he's wrong. That said, some brands of .22lr are better than others performance wise. CCI is a good brand. Your owners manual will tell you what ammo is suitable.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Ronpurdue said:

Specifications

Ronpurdue,
I have been shooting that .22 LR ammo as long as it has been around. It is good ammo, and will not damage your firearm. I have found that buddies are not gunsmiths. If you are still concerned about the ammo, talk to a gunsmith.
CCI is great ammo, and it is rimfire ammo. Suitable for pistols, revolvers or rifles. I shoot it in my
10-22, my .22 1911 conversions and several other pistols I have built up. Your "Buddy" is not very knowledgeable
about ammunition it would seem. If he offers to buy the ammo to "help you out", don't sell it.
I am going over today to Academy and pick up some of this ammo, and have my wife pick up some also.
Thanks for the tip on the price.
Blackie

Ronpurdue

Bearcat
Great, thanks for the update guys. Also any recommendation on 22 lr hv ammo that works and cheaper?

The more I think about this my wife will prolly go through this even faster. She goes through 100 9mm per hr(9.97 per box).

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Ronpurdue said:
Great, thanks for the update guys. Also any recommendation on 22 lr hv ammo that works and cheaper?

The more I think about this my wife will prolly go through this even faster. She goes through 100 9mm per hr(9.97 per box).

Target ammo (round nose copper plated or lead) is pretty cheap, but prices vary considerably by area. I'd suggest checking a few of the local gunshops before you plunk down money for on-line ammo. Sometimes shipping will end up costing more than local ammo + taxes. Most any name brand .22 will be fine for target shooting. That doesn't mean every single cartridge is going to be perfect. I've had problems with Winchester and couple others from time to time. Usually it's a feeding or primer issue. Aguila is pretty good and is on the low end of the price range.

Might be worth while to discuss a ammo budget with your wife. :wink:

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
You may find that you need to disassemble the pistol and clean it really good before you shoot it. I fired mine right out of the box and it was unreliable. I cleaned it really good and it has been flawless with a variety of ammo. Welcome to the forum!

Ronpurdue

Bearcat
Hi, yah I was thinking I would clean it first. I already bought the CCI already before free shipping 7.99. It was 9.99 in store where I live.

As far as my wife it's more about me saving money she shoots fast. Also she is a better shot :(. She groups about 8" circle 25 yards with my 3.5 Walther CCP. So she all about shooting right now :). I'm lucky to hit the body target.

contender

Ruger Guru
All good info above.

Your last post about your accuracy got me to comment.

May I strongly suggest you & your wife both get some good instruction into the basics of handgunning? As an instructor,,, I see a lot. One of the hardest things to do is to undo or break bad habits once they are ingrained into motor memory skills. The basics of a proper grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger control are VERY important.
If you are anywhere near WNC,, (me,) I'd gladly take you both,,, to my range,,, and my wife would work with your wife & I'd work with you. I'm SURE we could assist you in becoming better shooters.

Ronpurdue

Bearcat
Hi,

I live in Indiana so a little ways :). We actually did get an instructor (since it was our first pistol, had some bad experience while camping with kids so decided to get a CC). Our instructor had LC9, P238, buncha revolvers, mark 3, ...I shot pretty well with those gun. I personally do not shoot my gun at all very well (bought it before I tried it). It has a long trigger pull and very gritty. The instructor had short/soft triggers on all her guns. However I am reluctant to change my gun as my wife shoots it well. I wanted to get a 22 for more practice.

If I pull my trigger to 90% right before I shoot, I do ok. If I try to shoot quick I always pull it way low (12" below target area).

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Ronpurdue said:
If I pull my trigger to 90% right before I shoot, I do ok.
If I try to shoot quick I always pull it way low (12" below target area).
That normally indicates you are anticipating the shot and trying to
counteract the recoil before it happens.

My suggestion is a whole lot of dry firing. I like to do that during TV
commercials. MAKE SURE there is . . . no . . . ammo in the
room with you! Then just spend the time of the commercials doing a
relatively slow, but steadily increasing pressure on the trigger. Repeat
MANY times. (I have over 8,000 on just one of my guns).

OH! Not any where near that many on the SR22. You can dry fire many
rim fires, but just don't do it to excess. For your 9mm, it sounds like the
practice will not only help with your anticipation, but smooth out the trigger. :D

Cleaning the SR22:
I'll also jump on the band wagon there. Mine leaded horribly at first. After
I cleaned the heck out of it, there has been zero problem since. :D

P.S. Tell your buddy he is full of hot air. CCI makes good ammo, and in
fact, since they plate the lead, are excellent for new barrels. :D
After the first few hundred rounds, less expensive ammo will be fine.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Ron, forgot to mention something you might be interested in. Winchester, and a couple other manufacturers also make a .22lr Hyper Velocity round. It has about 200 fps higher muzzle velocity than the Hi-velocity .22lr (in a standard 20" test barrel, not quite that much difference in a short barrel). It may or may not work in your SR-22 since the lower part of the case is very slightly larger diameter than the regular LR rounds. Overall length is the same. It works well in my Sig 1911-22, but won't chamber in my old Savage 6A rifle.

Here's a couple pics to show the difference. Winchester Hyper on the left, CCI MiniMag on the right.

DSCF3364.jpg~original

DSCF3365.jpg~original

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
P.S. Tell your buddy he is full of hot air.
Let me amend that a bit. He may have been thinking of the .22WMR
rather than the CCI-Mini-mag. The .22WMR will not chamber in the
SR22, so it would not create damage to the gun. :wink:

The CCIs will work fine. :D