Ammo for the Marknt IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Try whatever your local gun shop, big box store or sporting goods store has on the shelf. It will all work. Some may be more accurate in your particular gun but just about anything will make it function. Try high velocity stuff at first if you have a choice but standard speed stuff should also work fine.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
All of the previous Ruger Mark pistol manuals warned against the use of "hyper" velocity .22 rimfire ammunition. the "recoil impulse energy" has proven to be too much for the bolt stop pin to absorb.

I replaced a bent bolt stop pin on a Ruger Mark II MK 512, not too long ago where the customer admitted to using CCI Stingers regularly. While the "bent" bolt stop pin was a little hard to notice, the elongated bore for the bolt stop pin in the top of the receiver was more noticeable.

So, while it happens that others take the position that "everything and anything .22" is OK to feed your pistol, you will have better accuracy with Standard velo and some of the High velo .22 rimfire ammunition like CCI Mini-Mags. If you have any hyper velo .22 rimfire, save that for your .22 rimfire bolt guns.

hognfrog

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies, I picked up a bunch of CCI SV ammo and think I will use just that to sight in the red dot and keeps things consistent.

CraigC

Hawkeye
timboy said:
If you want to run dirty garbage ammo in your guns its a free country sport. :roll: :roll:
Have you actually tested it in three dozen guns or did you just read it on the internet, sport?

Sorry junior but I've done enough shooting with all sorts of rimfire ammo to know that most of the online rhetoric concerning Remington bulk .22LR is BS. I was running 2000-3000rds of Remington bulk ammo a month through my guns before the shortage, sport. It's all dirty.

My favorite 10/22 has devoured 10,000rds of "dirty garbage ammo" since its last cleaning, sport.

I've taken untold thousands of small game and varmints with "dirty garbage ammo", sport.

IMG_7262b.jpg

Does this look like the work of "garbage", sport??? Not cherry-picked but the results of five consecutive five shot groups at 50yds, averaging 0.49", sport.

IMG_7817b.jpg

These MKIII's have digested untold thousands of "dirty garbage ammo" without cleaning, sport.

IMG_7256b.jpg

This Old Model Single Six has burned more "dirty garbage ammo" than any other I own and I cannot remember the last time it had a misfire, sport.

IMG_2927b.jpg

Cannot speak for the MK IV but my MK III Target will digest anything EXCEPT Thunderbolt. They just do not feed properly. My MK III 22/45 eats anything you feed it...much like the old dog I used to have.

kimber-45

Bearcat
Standard CCI will work in anything.
High Velocity is much less accurate and will beat the gun up.

CraigC

Hawkeye
kimber-45 said:
High Velocity is much less accurate and will beat the gun up.
"High velocity" is fine. It's the "hyper velocity" loads that may cause premature wear. Loads like the Stinger, Yellow Jacket, Velocitor and Spitfire.

timboy

Bearcat
CraigC said:
timboy said:
If you want to run dirty garbage ammo in your guns its a free country sport. :roll: :roll:
Have you actually tested it in three dozen guns or did you just read it on the internet, sport?

Sorry junior but I've done enough shooting with all sorts of rimfire ammo to know that most of the online rhetoric concerning Remington bulk .22LR is BS. I was running 2000-3000rds of Remington bulk ammo a month through my guns before the shortage, sport. It's all dirty.

My favorite 10/22 has devoured 10,000rds of "dirty garbage ammo" since its last cleaning, sport.

I've taken untold thousands of small game and varmints with "dirty garbage ammo", sport.

IMG_7262b.jpg

Does this look like the work of "garbage", sport??? Not cherry-picked but the results of five consecutive five shot groups at 50yds, averaging 0.49", sport.

IMG_7817b.jpg

These MKIII's have digested untold thousands of "dirty garbage ammo" without cleaning, sport.

IMG_7256b.jpg

This Old Model Single Six has burned more "dirty garbage ammo" than any other I own and I cannot remember the last time it had a misfire, sport.

IMG_2927b.jpg
I will let the number of people agreeing with me speak for itself and avoid bickering with the likes of this.

Let me add some popcorn oil to the fire.

Clean .22 rimfire ammo? I've yet to find any.

Thunderbolt? Not my favorite. Some guns lead up in short order with this (and similar) stuff, while other guns seem to be completely immune. I've even seen guns shoot this stuff extremely well.

And finally, how many hyper-velocity rounds does it take to wear out a Ruger auto pistol? I've shot a lot of of them over many decades, and I've never seen any increased wear or other adverse effects on any of them.

Bottom line, try it all. The rimfire ammo shortage is not yet completely cured, and ya just might not have many choices than to buy the only brand that's on the shelf. Here, more often than not, it's Thunderbolts.

WAYNO.

Mus408

Hunter
I was over at a friends place today and he had his Mk III out and was using Remington 22 LR.
About every mag of ammo 3 or 4 would fail to go off. You could see the firing pin indention on the cases and trying them again they failed to fire.
The one that did go BANG seemed to shoot OK.

I took a few shots with it and really liked it! Might look at the Mk.IV at some point.