Entry level mark IV has aluminum frame. Is this a problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I wouldn't think there would be any drawbacks. Mossberg has been using aluminum receivers on their shotguns for decades, and I've never heard of a problem with them. Many other manufacturers also use aluminum and other materials for frames on handguns. The one issue that might be of concern is the type of finish used. Aluminum can't be "blued", so it will be finished with some painted on finish, or anodizing. Anodizing would be best.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The "frame" of the MkIV is just a handle that contains the hammer, sear trigger and other internal parts and acts as mounting point for the barrel-receiver-bolt group. The barrel group takes all of the heat and pressure from firing the gun so the frame sees no abuse at all and will far out last the owner. The benefit is it's lighter and less expensive to manufacture so the retail price is lower.

As GunnyGene noted, aluminum receivers have been used for guns far more demanding then the MkIV. Many shotgun receivers, S&W and Colt center fire pistols, S&W revolvers and others use aluminum receivers with great success.

beacon1933

Bearcat
Thanks for the great info. This allays my fears about purchasing the entry level ruger. Now all I need to do is convince my wife that the mark IV is the last pistol (my 5th) that I will ever want or need.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
beacon1933 said:
Thanks for the great info. This allays my fears about purchasing the entry level ruger. Now all I need to do is convince my wife that the mark IV is the last pistol (my 5th) that I will ever want or need.
Good luck with that :lol:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
beacon1933 said:
The blued alloy, frame isn't "entry level" it's just as durable, accurate, etc. and the rest of the MkIV lineup. You aren't sacrificing anything if you buy one.

Cholo

Staff member
The aluminium frame is why I'd buy a MK IV. I already have an all steel blued MK II. Lighter isn't always better, but in a .22 like this, it's a win/win for me!

ditto1958

Blackhawk
beacon1933 said:

Good one! :)

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
beacon1933 said:

Just every time you bring one in put it in the same box.

Dan in MI

Staff member
beacon1933 said:

I have a question. Do YOU believe that last line????

Hard to get her to believe it if it you don't.

eveled

Hawkeye
Just tell her you decided to spend more time in bar rooms. There are worse ways to spend your money than guns. Of course the bills have to be paid too.

beacon1933

Bearcat
Right now I believe that the Mark VI will fill out my collection. My wife agreed that I can by it after Christmas. However in the future their may be a pistol out their that will I cannot live without!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
A dissenting opinion here, I'm getting the SS target model, although Al parts are durable, the finish doesn't last with heavy use.