SR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomadian

Bearcat
General gun novice here in the market for my very first handgun for primarily plinking/target fun but also would like to have something that could provide SOME home defense capability as well (instead of buying a separate gun for each purpose). Am well aware of the on-going debate regarding the merits of a .22 caliber being used for self-defense situations so am NOT trying to stoke that debate.

My dilemma is that I REALLY like the feel/comfort of the SR22 (small hands) but wish it was offered in a "more potent" caliber. It also offers the features that I feel my wife would prefer and not be overly "intimidating" like other higher calibers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, particularly if any suggestions can be offered regarding a different make/model that offers a similar feel as the SR22 but in that higher caliber that I THINK I want. :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Staying with Ruger, the LC380 is small and significantly more powerful than any .22lr but much more expensive to shoot. The SR9C is a reasonably small full power 9 mm pistol and, oddly enough, 9 mm ammo is a lot cheaper than .380.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
tomadian said:
General gun novice here in the market for my very first handgun for primarily plinking/target fun but also would like to have something that could provide SOME home defense capability as well (instead of buying a separate gun for each purpose). Am well aware of the on-going debate regarding the merits of a .22 caliber being used for self-defense situations so am NOT trying to stoke that debate.

My dilemma is that I REALLY like the feel/comfort of the SR22 (small hands) but wish it was offered in a "more potent" caliber. It also offers the features that I feel my wife would prefer and not be overly "intimidating" like other higher calibers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, particularly if any suggestions can be offered regarding a different make/model that offers a similar feel as the SR22 but in that higher caliber that I THINK I want. :D

I would agree with 22/45fan generally, but in your case I'd recommend a small frame .38 revolver, either double action or double/single action. Far more reliable for home/self defense than a semi-auto of any kind, and the only thing you give up is ammo capacity (5 or 6 rds vs 10 or more). My wife has had a S&W Model 60 (.38/.357) for around 20 years and prefers it to any semi since it much simpler to use. No slide to rack, no worries about failure to feed or eject or if the magazine is fully inserted, no safety to fumble with, etc. Just point and pull the trigger.

ETA: No matter what you get, give some serious thought to ammo. Many new shooters, buy a quality firearm and turn right around and buy the cheapest junk ammo they can find. Don't do that. Same with holsters. :)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
tomadian- In terms of getting the feel of the SR22, combined with a better self defense caliber the Walther PK380 is the closest to those criteria that you will find. But you may be thinking about this the wrong way. As a first time gun buyer you may think this will be your last pistol. I thought that myself and I'm sure many others did as well...What I can promise you is this will not be your last pistol even thought you probably think it will be right now.

What I would suggest is to look over some of the single stacked 9'mm's and 380's on the market. Just about all of these in the single stack configuration could also double as a comfortable carry gun should the need arise in the future. Get the home defense covered first with that.

The SR22 would make an excellent second gun.

Have a look at something like the following and see which is right for you.

Springfield XDS-9
Glock 42 .380 /43 9mm
Ruger LC380
Ruger LC9S
Walther PPS M2
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield

Having made that list of small pistols remember a $200 pump 12 gauge or even 20 gauge trumps them all in terms of power in the home defense role. Hope this helps.

Unk

Bearcat
LC9s Pro - 9mm. Smith 9mm Shield is just a little bigger but excellent.

Pass on the .380...I did 20 yrs ago , gave my AMT Backup in that caliber to my LEO SIL..SS, too heavy for what it did.

Best.

PonySoldier

Bearcat
For a first pistol go with the SR22. It has a light recoil factor compared to the higher caliber weapons mentioned here. View you tube videos on how to grip, aim, and fire a semi automatic pistol. Enroll in a weapons safety course with range instructions. For dependable ammunition try to obtain the CCI Mini Mags
but other make 22LR ammo is OK for practice. I still have the SR22 I purchased 3 years ago and then added a DA/SA 9mm pistol a year later. I had traded in a 380 that I owned since 1975 and had not fired in 30 years.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
For home defense a full size SR9, 40 or 45 is a great choice, or any one of the P series pistols that you might find on the used market. A GP 100 or SP 101 is also great if you prefer a revolver, it's really a matter of personal preference, choosing between a revolver or auto, both are vary dependable with quality ammo.

davek128

Bearcat
I would go with the SR-22.....I purchased an SR-22 for my wife to use if needed, as it has almost no recoil. So far she has not taken any interest in using it or going to the range to shoot it......
There are times that I have grabbed it for when we hear a strange noise at night, versus getting out my 9mm Keltec-P11

I believe I read on Bearing Arms that the mere presence of a firearm without even firing it is a deterrent....

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
davek128 said:
I would go with the SR-22.....I purchased an SR-22 for my wife to use if needed, as it has almost no recoil. So far she has not taken any interest in using it or going to the range to shoot it......
There are times that I have grabbed it for when we hear a strange noise at night, versus getting out my 9mm Keltec-P11

I believe I read on Bearing Arms that the mere presence of a firearm without even firing it is a deterrent....

Bearing Arms is not always correct. Simply brandishing a gun might scare some kid off, but if the guy is on drugs and/or a career criminal, he might just take it away from you and beat you to death with it. I would not bet my life on what some intruder might or might not do. If he's in my house his life span will be about 3 sec.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off,,, "Welcome to the Forum!"

As a firearm instructor,, and having taught the NRA Women On Target clinics for 15 years,,, I have a little experience in answering you questions.

First off,,, the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun. A SR22 is a nice gun,, but there aren't any "bigger" ones with the same feel.
Still a 22 LR is an EXCELLENT caliber to learn proper shooting with. Low recoil, reasonable ammo prices,,, and easy to learn on.
If that is all you have for self defense,,, then by all means,, learn to use it.

However,,, I'd listen to Rei40c in that you may find yourself buying more than one firearm.

For serious self defense,,, I always strongly suggest a good quality Double Action revolver,, in 357 mag caliber.
Why?
It is the simplest of all firearms to operate,,, ESPECIALLY one handed. In self defense,,, you MAY have only one hand free or usable,,, and I often say; "What if your dominant hand is unavailable & you have to operate the firearm, one handed, using you less dominant hand?" Any semi-auto is hard to learn to rack one handed, prone to jamming easier, magazines to drop or fail to seat, safety buttons to disengage,,, etc.
With a DA revolver,,, in general,, all it takes is grab, point, & pull the trigger. Left or right handed,,, upside down or in almost any position. No brass ejecting potentially causing jams, no safeties to forget to disengage, no mag release buttons to accidentally hit etc.

Plus,, you can get 38 spl ammo to use in your 357 for less expensive plinking & target practice, & load up a good quality 357 mag ammo for SD.

So, the short answer,,, no,, there isn't a scaled up version of the SR22. Some may come close,, but not the same.
And I always say this; "Fit & Comfort." With a DA revolver,,, you can replace the grips to give you a much different & often better feel in YOUR hands.

So, start with a 22,, and enjoy it. Get some PROPER instruction,,, learning the basics of how to shoot, and then consider what your needs are & fill those needs as you can.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
contender said:
So, start with a 22,, and enjoy it. Get some PROPER instruction,
learning the basics of how to shoot, and then consider what your needs
are & fill those needs as you can.
I'll only add that contender is referring to NRA instructors. Your average
range monkey will end up "teaching" you things you will need to unlearn. :D

mac66

Single-Sixer
I'm a firearms instructor and retired cop. I teach quite a few new shooters with the SR22. They are fun to shoot and build confidence.

Walther does make a very similar looking and sized .22 pistol called the P22, they also make a .380 version called the PK380. Both are nearly identical in size to the SR22. I've not shot either but I've handled both. They do feel exactly like an SR22.

Many people don't know or tend to forget that Ruger does make the LC in 380. I'm not talking about the small LCP but an actual 380 the same size as the LC9. The extra size/weight makes it much easier to shoot in 380 than in 9mm. The LC380 is double action only and not offered in the S and Pro versions.

Another option is the Glock 42 which is a single stack 380. Being a Glock they are of course very popular and are close in size to the SR22 though have a different feel to them.

Personally, I think semi autos are better than revolvers. Modern semi autos are reliable and accurate and generally have a higher capacity i.e, more bang for the buck. Double action only or safe action type semis don't require safeties. Reloading a semi with a detachable magazine is faster and as easy or easier than trying to manipulate speed loaders or individual cartridges in a revolver.

It pretty much comes down to a matter of opinion whether a revolver or semi auto is better. Bottom line though is that the SR22 is a fun little gun to shoot and learn on.