Info/Value on 10/22 Fingergroove Sporter w/Checkered Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xl22662

Bearcat
I took this 10/22 on a trade several months ago and don't know a whole lot about it. Looked it up in blue book and it seems the fingergroove sporter with the checkered stock is fairly hard to come buy. Blue book shows it to be worth $1,200 at 100%. I know this gun is not 100% but it is really good shape for its age. The serial number is 319**. Didn't know if anyone on here could help with a value as I may want to sell it and also any other info like date of mfg, how many made, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/us...t.com/albums/ae203/qhanson/IMG_4170.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/us...t.com/albums/ae203/qhanson/IMG_4178.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/us...t.com/albums/ae203/qhanson/IMG_4175.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/us...t.com/albums/ae203/qhanson/IMG_4181.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/us...t.com/albums/ae203/qhanson/IMG_4177.jpg[/img][/url]

ten22

Single-Sixer
The serial number you posted would put production of that gun before the fingergroove was introduced, by a good margin. I bet that gun was originally a carbine and the stock added later, look for marks on the barrel where the barrel band was. Still being a rare stock, it should still bring 500-600. 1200 would be an unfired as new example.

Your gun could still be right. The serial number could have been a receiver that was put together late. I had an International serial number 15101 that was shipped in 1967. I have seen a 4 digit International with a factory letter. Parts bin theory. You gun was made between 66-71. 500 plus guns made. Value should be around $800.

xl22662

Bearcat
The serial number on this gun is 31982. I went an re read my post and I only put the first 3 digits of the serial number and it did look a little confusing. I did find a website with serial numbers and dates for 10/22 and according to it this one should be a 1966 model. On blue book it says this fingergroove sporter was made between 1966-1971. Not sure how accurate the website is that I got the year of manufacture from and not sure how accurate Blue Book of Guns is but according to both of them this should all be right. I know you can't believe everything on the internet so just trying to get some Ruger experts opinions on what exactly I have. I do not want to mis represent the gun when I get ready to sell it.

ten22

Single-Sixer
The gun was made in mid 1965. The checkered fingergrooves were introduced in May 1966 ~serial 65xxx. Like 66 says with Ruger you never know for sure without lettering the gun, but I would guess this one will not letter.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
ruger66 said:
Your gun could still be right. The serial number could have been a receiver that was put together late. I had an International serial number 15101 that was shipped in 1967. I have seen a 4 digit International with a factory letter. Parts bin theory. You gun was made between 66-71. 500 plus guns made. Value should be around $800.

PLUS 1 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
To be sure on a production date though...and even to be sure your gun is factory original as a "10/22SP Hand Checkered" or "10/22SPC", you will need to contact the factory to see what they say. It could very well have shipped late like the 15xxx range International mentioned above.
If you do this, be sure to report the ship date on this thread.
Chet15

xl22662

Bearcat
Going to get a factory letter and will post what they say. Thanks for all the info.

eveled

Hawkeye
Looking forward to seeing how it letters. No matter what, you have a very nice 10/22. It is also the exact configuration I submitted for the aniversary model.

I have a non checkered fingergroove that is not going to be sold ever.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
eveled said:
Looking forward to seeing how it letters. No matter what, you have a very nice 10/22. It is also the exact configuration I submitted for the aniversary model.

I have a non checkered fingergroove that is not going to be sold ever.

PLUS ONE++ 8) :wink: SHOULDA BEEN THE ANNIE GUN, HANDS DOWN! :roll:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Nice find. Either a nearlyfour-figure value (NMM) if original WITH a letter to prove it, or a $450-550 put-together IF there are no further detractors.
I'd like to see what the receiver and mtg. holes look like to maximize value.
I'd still be happy to carry it into the woods either way!

737tdi

Hunter
I sure have wanted a checkered, finger groove for years. Have only seen a couple and wish I would have purchased them then. The same with the .44mag.. Just something about the look, doesn't really make the gun any better but it sure looks and feels good. Good luck with your research.

Karl

chet15

Hawkeye
737tdi said:
I sure have wanted a checkered, finger groove for years. Have only seen a couple and wish I would have purchased them then. The same with the .44mag.. Just something about the look, doesn't really make the gun any better but it sure looks and feels good. Good luck with your research.
Karl

Checkered Canadian Centennial 10/22 Sporters are a lot easier to find, so you might go that route.
Chet15

xl22662

Bearcat
I know its been a while but finally got around to getting this gun lettered and it says it was produced in June 1965