Single Six 17 HMR Stainless 5.5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snowman88

Bearcat
Does anyone have some for sure Information on these? I have heard that anywhere from 52-72 of these, and even more were made. Are these expected to become a collectors item if so few were manufactured? Any information on them is greatly appreciated!!

Ruger Single Six 17 HMR Stainless Steel 5.5"
Cat# KNR-5-17 Model 10663

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
I believe a lot more than the 52-72 you mentioned have been built.
Now, the 17HMR/HM2 Convertible is a rare bird.

Snowman88

Bearcat
This is in stainless though which is the reason I think it was a limited production.

hutchman

Blackhawk
Snowman88 said:
Does anyone have some for sure Information on these? I have heard that anywhere from 52-72 of these, and even more were made. Are these expected to become a collectors item if so few were manufactured? Any information on them is greatly appreciated!!

Ruger Single Six 17 HMR Stainless Steel 5.5"
Cat# KNR-5-17 Model 10663

I don't think your info is correct. I had one and a friend has it along with another he bought. They were readily available to my knowledge. Good shooters.

Just checked my latest RENE price sheet and they are not listed...indicating to me there is no collector value...... Did I mention they are good shooters?

chet15

Hawkeye
The KNR5-17 and KNR6-17 are not readily available!
Ruger's inventory lists at one point a few years ago had these two models available but nobody knows why they were made (These are not the Hunter model!!). At the time, it was estimated that maybe a couple hundred of each were shipped. Then Ruger made a smaller batch of at least the KNR5-17 a couple of years later.
Honestly they are pretty tough to come by. In a few years they can probably be called rare!
Chet15

Snowman88

Bearcat
Thank you for the knowledgeable information! I appreciate the research you put into this. I thought that it was a limited edition that wasn't listed hardly anywhere, but I wanted to make sure what someone else KNEW on them. Thanks again chet15!!!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I called CDNN and they told me they had fewer than 40 in when they bought their lot (probably on closeout). I believe they were Davidson's purchase originally? Could be wrong there and have no idea how many were built all-told.
I posted here a while back and found my KNR-5-17 gun and another member's at least, had the top strap logo & ".17 HMR" rollstamp inverted as-compared to the blued 17 HMR Single-Six guns; that is the rollstamp is viewed with the muzzle downward on the stainless guns. Rugers continue to be inconsistent...
Mine is as accurate as a rifle, and being all-stainless, is a heavy little sob.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Can I add that there was what I will still qualify as a rare variant that came out first... There was a very limited number of KNR-5L-17 guns that do not have internal locks as the model number would seem to indicate.

The ones i saw back in 2009 when these came out were all sold from a sales rep from Banger out of Georgia. I only remember it as I posted details of that back in this thread:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=69257

I never shot any of mine once Ruger seemed to have stopped making them. I have watched for a long time to try to find more of these 5L marked cases with the low serial number but I have never seen others...

chet15

Hawkeye
Quarterbore said:
Can I add that there was what I will still qualify as a rare variant that came out first... There was a very limited number of KNR-5L-17 guns that do not have internal locks as the model number would seem to indicate.

The ones i saw back in 2009 when these came out were all sold from a sales rep from Banger out of Georgia. I only remember it as I posted details of that back in this thread:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=69257

I never shot any of mine once Ruger seemed to have stopped making them. I have watched for a long time to try to find more of these 5L marked cases with the low serial number but I have never seen others...

You probably saw a good example of employee error on the shipping label. You are correct, none of the stainless Single-Sixes had internal locks. But, having a correct box label is dependent on the employee typing the info correctly.
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Chet is right on the money. Written work instructions are a quality system requirement, recall that Ruger does not prescribe QMS methodology in most non-critical areas.

In the area where labels are printed, though, the only "typed-in" information is the bar-code reader and s/n coordination/verification, which includes the s/n from previous stamping operation. (At least that is what happens with the AZ guns, the NH process may be even more archaic). The model number is also a function of the bar coding, so mistakes can/do occur. Yet another example of why collecting Ruger minutia is mostly prone to guesswork...

Searching this old thread. I have one of these KNR-5-17 revolvers. I am going to post a couple of pics later. Just a short description:

Model number: 10663 on end label and fired case envelope.
Serial Number: 265–19xxx
"17 HMR" on top strap with Ruger Eagle.
Non-fluted cylinder.
Cocabola grips with red backed emblems.
Warning roll mark on bottom of barrel.
Manual dated 5-09.
Fired case envelope dated 11/20/2009.

So, has anyone determined a rarity on these and approximate value?

Dave

chet15

Hawkeye
There are at least 200 to 300 of each barrel length.
I would say at least $75 better than the price of a stainless Single-Six.
The biggest issue is, not many people know the KNR5-17 and KRN6-17 were made. It is a supply and demand thing.
Chet15