Stainless Old Model Single Six???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22lrfan

Bearcat
I found what appears to be a stainless Old Model Single Six in a pawn shop today. I didn't know such a thing existed. Serial no. is 120xxx. I haven't had any luck finding info on it. Help.
imag0210.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
No Old Model single-action revolvers were ever built in stainless, period.
Polished plain steel.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
IT COULD ALSO BE a really high class electroless nickle [or chrome? ] job that can be the spittin' image of stainless steel.
And why do these things show so often in somebody's first post ?

22lrfan

Bearcat
Thanks for all the info. I'm guessing that it is plated. The finish looks to perfect to be just polished. Ya'll saved me from making a mistake and buying this thing. I figured the guys on here would have the answer. I've been reading info on this forum for a couple of years and have always been able to find answers to my questions but this one had me stumped. Thanks again.

Mainly cause they just don't know..................it appears to me to be one of the MetalifeSS finishes offered by Ron Mahovsky, we've had many guns done over the years, through our shop ,done by Ron,and it is a finish that appears,look like and wears better than stainless steel...it is a chromium finish that I "think" he polishes out, and at one time we were told it is an "improved" Armaloy,that first came out down in Texas many years ago.........we see this come up ALL the time, in about any make of gun one can think of.....you may recall Ron did the Roy Rogers Limited Edition guns of the Ruger Super bearcat ( an all steel gun) and he did this finish over special markings, logo, that was approved by the Rogers family(Dusty I recall) and was done back in the late 70's
As for price/value, the cost then was like $85 and add that to the value of the gun, now being it is "customized"...all depends on what they may be asking for it?? It sure will "wear" well or NOT at all!!

22lrfan

Bearcat
I wanted it to go with my other OM SS. It's also a '58 model (110xxx). I though I might have found an unusual variant. It's priced at $400 but I deal with this guy a lot so I can get it for less.

WIL TERRY said:
IT COULD ALSO BE a really high class electroless nickle [or chrome? ] job that can be the spittin' image of stainless steel.
And why do these things show so often in somebody's first post ?

I don't remember what my first post was, but... it was probably a question! :mrgreen:

I think a lot of folks "lurk" for a while before joining a new forum. That's how I do it.

Usually, I'm prompted to join because I want to ask a question.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
It's not original,,but for $400.00 and you said you could get it for less? I would already own that gun! :wink:

Neat gun to pull out at the range,, :) Post some better pic's when you get her, :wink: and welcome to the forum.
PM sent.
Terry

"And why do these things show so often in somebody's first post ?"

Probably because folks believe they can usually get a straightforward answer without being ridiculed.

Usually.

Joe S.

Hunter
Stay away from my gun!!

22lrfan said:
I found what appears to be a stainless Old Model Single Six in a pawn shop today. I didn't know such a thing existed. Serial no. is 120xxx. I haven't had any luck finding info on it. Help.
imag0210.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
you need to get that thing 22lrfan! that way i can shoot it when i come to your house for bar bee que...

he raised a question this morning while we were talking.

can a new model base pin latch be used in this gun? a stainless one... :D

new latch should fit, may have to "fit" it a bit, or you can always 'strip off' the bluing on the old one, Naval Jelly or just polish it out, but,BUT keep it well oiled so as to NOT "rust up" from sitting, lack of maintainance........ :wink:

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
"And why do these things show so often in somebody's first post ?"

Probably because folks believe they can usually get a straightforward answer without being ridiculed.

Usually.

Yep (emphasis on "usually", but getting less and less here unfortunately). :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
22lrfan said:
imag0210.jpg

22lrfan,

That's clearly a polished out blue steel gun and polished alum alloy grip frame; the alum and steel do not match, the hammer is tarnished which can't happen to stainless, the slots in the screws and cyl pin, and trigger return plunger are still blue, and as noted, the cyl pin latch is blue.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have at least half of the base pin latch in real SS and it's new. Cannot remember why I bought it. I'll let it go for what I paid plus a couple or four bits to cover shipping. It's the end with the male threads.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I got a nice example out in a gun show parking lot several years ago. This kinda "strange" looking guy sold it to me. He rode up to the parking lot riding a Unicorn.........

flatgate

45520175.jpg

pwberndt

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Mainly cause they just don't know..................it appears to me to be one of the MetalifeSS finishes offered by Ron Mahovsky, we've had many guns done over the years, through our shop ,done by Ron,and it is a finish that appears,look like and wears better than stainless steel...it is a chromium finish that I "think" he polishes out, and at one time we were told it is an "improved" Armaloy,that first came out down in Texas many years ago.

I worked in a plating shop back in 1972/73 and learned there is a lot you can do with chrome. If this is plated, it is nickel run on a special coloring wheel & then chromed. You are correct in that it will wear well, the chrome is harder than the hinges of hell. Nickel is softer and looks yellow when set side by side with chrome. The guy I worked for was an old burr head who could plate anything and was always being consulted on specialty work.

Whatever it is, it looks good.