Best 22Lr ammo for self defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit814

Bearcat
Bringing up using a .22 for self defense is pretty much the best way ever to get a war going on in this forum. Honestly, you're better off coming in and yelling, "I WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO CONFISCATE ALL GUNS!" I'm just saying, prepare yourself for the backlash.

That being said, if you are forced for whatever reason to use .22 for self defense, I honestly don't think there's much of a difference in punch, power or velocity that would make a significant enough effect on an attacker. They are either going to see, hear and (God forbid) feel the gun you are carrying and run or fight through it and stay. I don't think an extra 100fps in bullet speed or an extra 4 grains (0.009 ounces or 0.259 grams for our Canadian readers) is going to make the extra difference.

So I'd say the biggest single factor would be reliability of the rounds. You don't want a misfire from bulk ammo when the time comes. Practice with bulk and keep a small box of the expensive stuff around in your bug-out-bag.

VA Shooter

Single-Sixer
I agree with Kermit 814 If you have to use 22 LR for SD dont buy bulk ammo. Don't listen to the negitive posts (like the one above) This forum is for learning ask all the questions you want I do

WIL TERRY

Buckeye

airwin

Bearcat
I think the CCI Stinger is a very good .22 choice. It is very reliable and a little bit more powerful as most other .22s.
A .22 pistol will be o.k. for an angry cat but it will not be able to fend off an (angry) human attacker. May be that the attacker dies after hits from a .22 pistol, but the .22 rounds will not stop an attacker quickly. On this subject, there are many good studies to prove it. The enticement of the small .22 guns is strong, I love my Walther TPH too, but a useful gun for personal protection starts with a 9mm or .38 Sp. That's only my opinion of you have not asked me :wink:

JimInMichigan

Bearcat
YOU ARE LIVING in DREAMLAND,Sir. Of course it kills people , after they've done it to you too. I can do more damage with an ice pick and do it faster and cleaner.

No dream land. Look, I'm not trying to start a flame war, but it is pure and simple. A .22lr can be used effectively for self defense. I'm NOT saying it is the best choice, I'm am saying that it is a means if thats all you have. Read the article I posted.

As for your ice pick Sir... are you telling me you'd be willing to try attacking me with an ice pick, while I'm holding an 11 shot .22lr revolver? That wouldn't be a very smart decision.

JimInMichigan

Bearcat
Also, the OP did not ask which caliber was best for self defence, he asked which .22 lr round was best suited for self defence. Can we try and keep this on topic for the OP?

Merovingian

Bearcat
JimInMichigan said:
Also, the OP did not ask which caliber was best for self defence, he asked which .22 lr round was best suited for self defence. Can we try and keep this on topic for the OP?

Thats like asking what screen door is best on a submarine... when screen doors are not made for submarines.

BornFree

Bearcat
Anything less than a S&W 500 Magnum is a waste. There's not a caliber smaller than that worth considering. (roll eyes)

pyth0n

Buckeye
I can't recommend .22lr for self defense. Usually referred to as kill you later rounds. But if it's all you got, I would say CCI Stingers because of ignition reliability. No body I know would like someone punching holes in their body with anything not part of a medical procedure. And to some not even then.

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
Don't be put off by the chest thumping. It is a legitimate question if you take the approach that any gun in your house could be pressed into service in a pinch.

I only own two handguns (I'm not rich). My SR9c which is 9mm, and an SR22 in 22lr. If I am downstairs, and I can't get to my 9mm, I will find myself glad I gave this topic some passing thought when the 22 is the only thing I can get my hands on.

That said, when I looked into it, those with meaningful opinions seemed to come down on the same side as those here.
A) Reliability, first and foremost because changes in performance between 22 rounds is marginal.
B) Higher Velocity
C) Round Nose over Hollow Point

The last was my biggest question, and the consensus seemed to be that expansion was not worth the loss in penetration.

And even if it doesn't stop them, if I can put a half dozen or so rounds in someone before I'm forced to duke it out, I think my chances of not taking a butt whooping have significantly improved :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
DON'T KID YOURSELF, there is no "best" 22LR ammunition for self defense.
Quoted for truth.

If you have no other choice, then the ammo that is MOST RELIABLE in YOUR gun. Period. If you can find more than one type of ammo that is 100% reliable in YOUR gun (and good luck with that), then you can choose between them based on velocity, bullet weight, bullet shape, brand name, price, color of the box, or any other criteria you choose.

fido4x

Bearcat
Nerd_Ferguson put it well. There are a couple of strategically placed handguns mostly for the wife. If she can't get to the .38, she has a .22 magnum revolver that she will have to use to try and make it to the .38 as it is unlikely she will make it to my .45 downstairs if she is upstairs. If I am around, my office has my safe and my .45 is readily accessible but I also have a 22/45 Lite that I like a lot (and is how I got to this forum) and if I had to use it, I certainly would.

You do want to shoot a variety of ammo in your 22 and make a decision based on the performance of your practice. Like Nerd_ said, butt whooping becomes less likely with 10 rounds of 22 imbedded in someone's body. If they have body armor, well, you have bigger issues to deal with but even then, if you don't crap your pants first and can aim with someone coming at you and undoubtedly shooting at you, you might find some exposed portion of the body.

Another vote for the most reliable 22 LR ammunition you can get (And test/verify proper functionality) in YOUR gun. With a 22 LR, stopping an attacker or slowing him/her down is going to be about shot placement - so practice and get as good as you can about shot placement. And double tap. As much as it takes.

dougader

Hunter
I am a fan of the CCI Stingers and Remington Yellow Jacket hi-vel ammo for rats, jack rabbit thinning in the alfalfa fields of SE Oregon, and feral cats.

But if you are forced to pick up a 22LR for SD purposes, then I'd rather have something with a little better penetration. Even 40 grain hi-vel would be better IMO. The Aguila heavy 60 grainers may be the best bet.

BUT, as said, do yourself a favor and arm yourself with a 38 special or 9mm pistol, on up, for serious SD work.

An old saying goes, "sure the .22LR will kill, but it's usually about 2 weeks later from peritonitis or blood poisoning." 8)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Just stumbled upon this post.

Seems like a lot of people think 22's will bounce right off! Really?

If that is all that's available at the moment it is better than throwing rocks. (or an ice pick)

Personally , I can put rounds on a target sooo fast with a 22 hangun or rifle that I seriously doubt anyone would make it past that. And a 22 will penetrate. Its about disrupting the nervous system and relieving someone of their vital blood pressure which one placed in the right spot will definately do , not to mention the possibility of several finding the mark.

Anyone here who spouts about it being ineffective ever volunteer to be shot by one to prove your point? Right...I don't care to be on the wrong end of one either.

dougader

Hunter
Hmmmm, your reading comprehension must be better than mine. I didn't see a single person post about 22's "bouncing right off."

And tell me, please, how does the effectiveness of a round for SD purposes have anything to do with volunteers willing to stand and be shot?

Tell you what, let me stab you just once with an ice pick. When I'm done, you can shoot me with your 22. That is, if you can do anything at that point.

SD is not about killing, it's about stopping, and the 22 LR is not known for stopping much of anything bigger than a rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.