22/45 or Mark III Stainless (Target/Hunter)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zeego

Bearcat
Hello everyone! I am currently looking to buy my first handgun. I've been looking at the 22/45 Threaded barrel and the Mark III Stainless Target and Hunter models. I really like all three. Obviously, I have to put all of them in my hand and decide from there. I'm leaning towards the 22/45 because of the 1911 grip angle and options. Although, the Target and Hunter are nice because they add weight and they are stainless. Can someone please give me some suggestions and offer me an opinion on your favorite model and why? I appreciate your help. :D

E

Single-Sixer
Big fan of the 5.5" bull barrel 22/45 (big fan of the tapered barrel models too, but the bull barrel handles best for me). Great weight and balance, very accurate and reliable, 1911 grip angle makes it a natural pointer. The 22/45 is the greatest value in 22 semiautos on the market.

Whaler

Bearcat
The one that feels best in your hand is the one to go for. For me it was the MKIII 22/45 threaded barrel.
MKIII-1.jpg

Zeego

Bearcat
Well, I went to a few gun stores today and held a Stainless Mark III Target and a 22/45. The Mark III fit my hand a little bit better than the 22/45. I also looked at a Mark III Model 10155 with the Houge grip and threaded barrel which was very sweet. Out of all them, I can't get over the appeal of the stainless. It's just an all-around classic looking and feeling gun. One thing I did not like about the 22/45 is the way the magazine "released" from the pistol. The Mark III mag is like butter. I'll most likely be getting the stainless in the next couple of days.

wwb

Hunter
Not stainless, but I'd take either one of these Mark II pistols (if they aren't gone yet) over a Mark III.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=155054&p=1568935&hilit=mark+ii+target#p1568935

Zeego

Bearcat
One of the shops I went to had a used Mark II Stainless. I don't like where the Mag release is. Jeeeez...I'm picky I know. :shock:

james r jr

Single-Sixer
i have the SS Hunter with 4 1/2" barrel. i just sold a 22/45 Hunter with 5 1/2" barrel. both are super pistols. i just decided i wanted an all steel gun with the shorter barrel. the 22/45 will seem a little top heavy to some folks. so my 2 cents goes for the SS Hunter. mine also has the fluted barrel that i like. good luck and let us know what you get.

Zeego

Bearcat
Well...ended up walking out of a local store with a Stainless Mark III today. I couldn't help myself. I could have gotten it a little cheaper online but I have to give some bizness to the locals and it's a good way to gain rapport with the shop. Very happy with my purchase and the range is calling my name. Thanks for everyone's opinion. 8)

Latest posts