Threaded barrel for the SR22 pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
I know this is a new pistol but anyone know of anything in the works for a threaded barell for the SR22 Pistol ? I don't know why Ruger did not just build them with it.

louiethelump

Buckeye
To be honest, the whole threaded barrel thing escapes me. I understand it is for a silencer or whatever the correct name for them is, but why do you want one on your 22 pistol? I could understand if they were cheap and easy to obtain, presuming you could shoot without ear protection. But with the cost and paperwork and the things you must agree to in order to get one, I just cannot see it.

Am I missing something?

jjas

Single-Sixer
louiethelump said:
To be honest, the whole threaded barrel thing escapes me. I understand it is for a silencer or whatever the correct name for them is, but why do you want one on your 22 pistol? I could understand if they were cheap and easy to obtain, presuming you could shoot without ear protection. But with the cost and paperwork and the things you must agree to in order to get one, I just cannot see it.

Am I missing something?

While I don't own one, I know lots of guys who do (own them). It's kinda cool to shoot with one but am I going to jump in?

Nope....

If I want a quiet .22, I'll load up my bolt action .22 rifle with either cbees or some of the new quiet .22s and have @ it.

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
I spoke to Ruger today, said to call back in a month, still tetsing things out.

NFA items are very easy to get, the only added cost is the one time 200 stamp per NFA item, sor a short barrel rifle(SBR) and a can would cost 400 in stamps.

Anyone who is incorperated can also easily get NFA items, probly faster than using a trust.

I don't know what you have to give up or what you are refering to?

louiethelump

Buckeye
Well to begin with, it sounds like about six hundred dollars! :D :(

What I was talking about was the understanding that I had, having talked with a few class III gun owners, that you have to give up the right to a search of your house or the premises where the class III item is to be stored. In other words, you have to give consent for a warrantless search of your home or business for "inspection". Do they no longer have you sign off on that?

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
Interesting, will talk to my class 3 guy tomorrow about that, first I have heard of that.

Could depend on who "what" entity filed for it?.

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
louiethelump said:
Well to begin with, it sounds like about six hundred dollars! :D :(

What I was talking about was the understanding that I had, having talked with a few class III gun owners, that you have to give up the right to a search of your house or the premises where the class III item is to be stored. In other words, you have to give consent for a warrantless search of your home or business for "inspection". Do they no longer have you sign off on that?

Not exactly, they have the right to knock on your door during "reasonable" hours and ask to see the NFA item and paperwork. They do not have the right to come in, do a search, look in your safe or any of that. You give up none of your rights to own and possess any NFA item.

My first one has cost me a total of $710*:

Suppressor: $350
Threading of one barrel: $150
finger prints from sheriff: $10
Government tax stamp: $200

so, I guess in regard to this thread (threaded barrel already on the gun) you could drop the $150... but there is still one part of the equation:

I completed all the paperwork and sent it in, and the check to the government cleared on December 22nd of 2011... and I'm still waiting to get permission from the BAFTE..... the suppressor still sits in my dealer's safe, it's called gun control at its finest.

*I've spent another $150 on a 12" parkerized and threaded barrel for my Charger.

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
If you did it using a trust, then things sound like they are going about right, if you used a corp, then thats to long.

Neither, just me personally....

Doty over in Seminole went from a Corp to a Trust... but then he is in a whole different league from me....

if you don't know Doty then you need to.... he has a company now.... I'm thinking it's called Thunderarms or such.... they make full auto for Military and Law.

louiethelump

Buckeye
No one has addressed the main issue: What is the purpose for a quiet 22 pistol that makes it worth 500 to 700 more dollars than they already cost to accomplish this? (not to mention making yourself a bright blip on Federal radar)

Please fill me in as I just don't see the point or purpose.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
It's quiet, they're cool, and if you use the same threads (1/2" X 28tpi) you can swap it between multiple guns...... Did I say they're cool?
But QUIET is the main thing, you can be out in the woods, or on your own , legal, private range out back, and not bother the neighbors. Nor get visited by the police or game warden when engaged in a perfectly legal, but possibly frowned (think California, or NY) upon, activity.

Oh, did I say, They're cool??

that's the reason for me. We have a house up in the mountains that I would love to do some plinking at but am uncomfortable disturbing the neighbors.... not so simple a solution, but the ultimate solution none the less.

sgtlmj

Bearcat
In countries that allow such things without the hassle ATF puts us through, it's considered impolite to go to the range without a suppressor.

They really need to be de-regulated here. Heck, even our real estate disclosure forms all have a spot on them to check if your house is located near a shooting range. If suppressors were ubiquitous, we wouldn't have issues like that.

Goommer

Bearcat
I found threaded barrels for the SR22 here www.twintechtactical.com
Looks like they are taking orders for a production run. You contact them via their website and they get back with you.

Latest posts