dry firing a 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hogan

Single-Sixer
Just purchased a 22/45 and in reading the assembly and disassebly instrucions is says to dry fire.
I have always been told not to dry fire a rimfire. Is it safe with the 22/45?
I am assuming so if the instructions say so.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Yes, it is safe to dry fire a Ruger 22/45 because there is a firing pin stop installed to prevent the pin from striking the chamber mouth. As you have noted the instructions call for it to relieve the mainspring tension on the hammer for disassembly. Good luck with your new pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Hogan, since you bought a new 22/45, I can only offer two bits of advice:

Have your instructions by you at all times during disassembly/reassembly!

Watch the disassembly/reassembly videos on the Ruger website

The first time disassembling/reassembling a 22/45 for cleaning can be a real pain! I know I let loose with a whole slew of F bombs the first time or two. But it will get easier with time and practice.

when Ruger states in their manual that you need to "dry fire", this is their terminology for "lowering the hammer on an empty gun" ergo to relieve the pressure of a" cocked hammer " ( compressed mainspring)'yes, the occasional lowering this way does not harm anything...........lately we've seen some broken 'pins' in the bolts guess they cheapened them up and put in roll pins??? also have seen some of the older ones when the owner, dead set on completely tearing their guns down after every handling have "forgotten" to put the pin back in the bolt....yes, "$#it happens...."' don't see as many dimpled chamber rims on todays 'rimfires' like we used to see ALL the time in the old days..................but I still do NOT recommend "dry firing rimfires" it's your gun ,YOU do what you want, we just fix them for folks.........

Stealth01

Bearcat
I like to dry fire my MK IIIs, practicing trigger control. So, I go to the hardware store and buy a box of 4-6-8 X 7/8 dry wall anchors, they're yellow in color and sell for $4.50 per 100. They fit in the chamber just like a 22 round and are ejected just like a 22 round. When the edge gets chewed up I just reach in the box grab a new one and fire away!

D_Gunner

Single-Sixer
Donaldjr1969 said:
Hogan, since you bought a new 22/45, I can only offer two bits of advice:

Have your instructions by you at all times during disassembly/reassembly!

Watch the disassembly/reassembly videos on the Ruger website

The first time disassembling/reassembling a 22/45 for cleaning can be a real pain! I know I let loose with a whole slew of F bombs the first time or two. But it will get easier with time and practice.

I agree the first few times are a pain,put like any newly machined part has to mesh well after time it does get easer sorta like the break in period of a new vehicle