Asked and never answered - star model ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larryofcc

Bearcat
I have a 9 1/2" New Model Ruger. It is blue and a "Star" model single cylinder. I have heard these are a little on the scarcer side, but I never got a straight answer. Someone on this forum has to know. It is # 63-94209. I have sent for a letter, but that will not tell me how many of this "Star" model were made. Thanks, Big Larry

(title edited for better response -hopefully, mod)

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Big Larry: you may never know , precisely, how many revolvers like yours were produced. Ruger keeps a lot of production information, close to their vest. By that, I mean Revolvers or any of their production firearms with odd stamps or whatever markings are not disclosed, generally. The way a lot of information is gathered is by observation of serial numbers , low and high numbers observed with a particular oddity. We know the 9 1/2" and 4 5/8 barreled SSs were fairly low production but no way to know exact numbers. Again, observation of serial numbers is the key...not exact numbers but a good idea.

Hope this helps you. I am certain there are those individuals who can add to my few words.

Regards

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,,, Ruger does NOT normally release production numbers.
And the RENE folks (contributors & editor,) have been able to mostly get older production numbers by diligent research, AND the fact that those guns are no longer made, and the serialization process was different back when.
New Models,, and records,, especially the odd stuff,, is guesswork,,,based upon people reporting whatever we can find and discussions with distributors etc.

A good example of mistakes in production information.
For many years,, the number of factory verifiable brass framed .44 mags was thought to be low & made any "lettered" gun valuable. Well, research in Rugers actual records by John Dougan, uncovered old records,, with information on many more of them. It changed the value of that model quite a bit.

So, as noted, above,, you may never get actual production numbers,, unless Ruger changes how they release their information. And we don't see that happening anytime soon.

THAT"S why you didn't get any responses to your earlier question.

Good info above and both hold true as things are,,,a question that cannot ( and the factory will not) answer...Chad comes close with the 'RENE' through as noted above replies as to the "high and low" ranges of any guns so noted to the RENE by Members.....
so it becomes a translation of what is "scarce" or "rare"..Chad has noited in the past the short barrel S4 ( star model ,single cylinder) there were around 900 and the KS9, (stainless long barrel) there are around 2400....all the other models noted as "scarce or rare"...........we had them long time ago, but my wife no longer collects ANY of the "new" model 22 Rugers............ 8) :roll:

Yes, it pays to contact and join the 'RENE"...... :wink:

larryofcc

Bearcat
Thanks to all who responded to my post. I have 3 "Star" guns in my collection. I do know they are scarcer than regular models. Thanks again. Big Larry

standard.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Everybody really paid attention to the stainless star models because they were unique, Ruger hadn't done those previously and discontinued them after only a year of production. Same with the stainless 4-5/8" and 9-1/2" Single-Six convertibles. So putting estimated quantities on those is fairly easy, because they only appear in their own serial number blocks for the most part.
The blue guns however are a much different animal! The S4 blue 4-5/8" star is the rarity of the star guns with only maybe around a dozen to 15 known. Next in rarity is the 9-1/2" blue star and a close 3rd is probably the 6-1/2" blue star, probably because most of that length tube was being installed on the 15,000+ Colorado Centennials.
Serial numbers for the blue star models are all over the spectrum for 1975... definitely not as noticeable in their own serial number blocks.
Chet15

larryofcc

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
I have a 77/50 Officers model that is "Star" stamped. The dealer who sold it, on GunBroker, said it was a factory demo model.
That's what I was told on my KS4 when I bought it years ago for $300 shipped. I didn't know. I found out later what the Star was for. I had one of the rare 2 cylinder stainless with the 9 1/2" bbl. and like a fool, sold it.Got $1,500 for it several years ago. It was NIB. Big Larry

larryofcc said:
I had one of the rare 2 cylinder stainless with the 9 1/2" bbl. and like a fool, sold it.Got $1,500 for it several years ago. It was NIB. Big Larry

Big Larry, you don't sound like a fool- you sound like you made out all right!

I missed a KNR-9 convertible a number of years ago, for $550. The guy selling it at the gun show was kind of sketchy. Had several nice/collectible Rugers. Claimed he wasn't really "into" Rugers, didn't know much about them, didn't know what they were worth, etc. His nice wood/glass display cases, and his Ruger tablecloth covers, suggested to me that perhaps he did not have a strong relationship with the truth.

A bunch of his guns were not priced, which also bugs me- makes me feel like the seller is playing games. Guy was overly curious about my employment (NOT his business...), seemed more interested in talking about my employment, than talking gun business.

Finally I decided that I didn't like him, didn't like his business practices, and wasn't about to give him a nickel. I guess I showed him! :shock:

NOW who's the fool? :p

Since then, I've decided that I can temporarily overlook my dislike of someone- just long enough to purchase their gun, and never see them again! 8)

I wish I would have gotten the gun... but I just didn't like him. It's pretty seldom that I get a vibe like that, so... I'm not broken up that we didn't do business!

larryofcc

Bearcat
After years of doing gun shows, both as a seller and buyer, I quickly found those people that were morons for lack of a better word. I had my 9 1/2" New Model stainless on my table for $1,500 and a gentleman came by and there was no haggle. He peeled off 15 $100 bills and went away a happy camper. I still have a 9 1/2" stainless "Star" NIB, but now wish I would have kept the other gun. Big Larry

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have a 6.5" blue star SS. Never realized it was on the uncommon list. I also have a Stainless star 9.5" that has a magnum cylinder that is serialized to the gun. I have no idea who matched up the cylinder or put the serial number on it. It isn't like a normal hand scribed #, it is stamped. Did Ruger ever stamp serial #'s onto cylinders?

xtratoy said:
I have a 6.5" blue star SS. Never realized it was on the uncommon list. I also have a Stainless star 9.5" that has a magnum cylinder that is serialized to the gun. I have no idea who matched up the cylinder or put the serial number on it. It isn't like a normal hand scribed #, it is stamped. Did Ruger ever stamp serial #'s onto cylinders?

I believe so, or at least there are a few here who have cylinders with stamped numbers on them.

I have a KS-9, which has a stamped .22 LR cylinder.

There were a couple of folks on this forum talking about stamped cylinders, a few years ago. I don't recall that anything was established re: stamping vs. scribing, etc.

street

Hunter
I had all but the S4. I looked for years and never found one. That's a great collection, and who every said that New Models are not collectable! I challenge anyone to put that collection together.

larryofcc

Bearcat
T.A. WORKMAN said:
All eight, most have box's except the S4,, :(

c93w1yNh.jpg

sgksP0Zh.jpg
Very nice set of revolvers you have there. My KS 4 "Star" serial number is very close to yours. It is # 63-08141.
May have shipped 1-1975. Keep up the good work. I sold most of my Rugers and got into S&Ws and Winchester 22 rifles. Thanks for sharing. Big Larry