Stamped vs Scribed numbers on cylinder face

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flyrod

Bearcat
Is there a definitive date when Ruger switched between stamping and scribing the serial number digits on the face of Single Six cylinders?

I am asking in part because I think I have a Single Six with a mag cylinder that is non-original but stamped with the right numbers to make it look original (letters as a two-cylinder gun). Another example of this model posted here in the classifieds has scribed numbers on both cylinders.

Thank you for any insight -

street

Hunter
Some where around serial number 360XXX the cylinders changed from being stamped to being scratched. This was 1963. Per RENE!!!!!

I have a KS-9 that I bought used.

Its single cylinder is stamped on its face, with no obvious sign of its having been previously engraved.

I've always wondered "what the story is" with my cylinder...

chet15

Hawkeye
Street is correct on when the change was made during production for stamped to scratched digits on the face of the cylinder.
Guns returned to the factory however at a later date to have a cylinder added or maybe a reblue are also known to have the last three digits of the serial number stamped on the cylinder, only in large 1/8" numbers.
Then the factory nickel Super Single-Sixes also have large 1/8" numbers stamped on their cylinders.
Chet15

Flyrod

Bearcat
Thank you for the replies. I'll try to post some decent pictures of my KS-9 with cylinders soon for any additional thoughts as to whether the numbers are "factory" or not.

They are stamped, and if memory serves, the numbers are on the large side, maybe 1/8".

Flyrod

chet15

Hawkeye
Uncle Howie said:
I have a KS-9 that I bought used.

Its single cylinder is stamped on its face, with no obvious sign of its having been previously engraved.

I've always wondered "what the story is" with my cylinder...

The easiest way for Ruger to mark cylinders during production is with an electric scribe.
For some reason they are known to use digit stamps when the gun has been returned for any reason...maybe because the stamps are easier to see for the employee when mating it back up with the gun. rather than squinting up close to see what digits may have been scribed with bad handwriting.
Chet15