Dry fire 22/45 Lite

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rickyc

Bearcat
How bad is dry firing with a .22 pistol?

A little bad or really bad?

I don't want to ruin my gun but I'd really like to practice hold, stance, and trigger control.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
rickyc said:

I don't want to ruin my gun but I'd really like to practice hold, stance, and trigger control.

Dry firing is a controversy that has champions on both sides. Ruger states in the manual that, "Occasional dry firing is OK, but with excessive dry firing, it may be a good idea to remove the firing pin from the bolt".

Here's what I use and recommend to my customers for use when dry firing Ruger Mark pistols:

These wall anchors are quite cheap in comparison to a catastrophe that could occur should the firing pin put a divot in the breech face. Around $5.00 for a box of 100, and each anchor will take 10, or more, firing pin hits if the anchor is rotated slightly to a fresh area. And YES, they will manually feed from a magazine.

rickyc

Bearcat
D A Wood said:
rickyc said:

Dry firing is a controversy that has champions on both sides. Ruger states in the manual that, "Occasional dry firing is OK, but with excessive dry firing, it may be a good idea to remove the firing pin from the bolt".

Thanks - I've seen a video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhOBiclaCY&feature=related ) about polishing the internals on a MKIII and it dropped and smoothed the pull 2 lbs. I'm not handy with tool. Is that what your $77 work does? Can I send the whole pistol instead of just the frame without grips?

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
rickyc said:
D A Wood said:
rickyc said:

Thanks - I've seen a video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhOBiclaCY&feature=related ) about polishing the internals on a MKIII and it dropped and smoothed the pull 2 lbs. I'm not handy with tool. Is that what your $77 work does? Can I send the whole pistol instead of just the frame without grips?

Sure, but it will cost much much more if that's the choice. If you use FedEx or UPS, they ship "overnight air". If you have a very friendly FFL, who will work with you, he and I can go with priority mail at much less expense. I really don't need the upper, or your grips, so if you could just send your complete grip frame assembly, mainspring housing assembly, bolt and two magazines, that's all I would need. If you have any other questions, please go here: [email protected]