Ruger Mark IV Trigger Improvement?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seatrout

Bearcat
Took my new Mark IV Competition to the range today for the first time. Tried 6 different ammo brands/types from both magazines and had zero failures over about 150 rounds. Really like the gun, shoots much better than me. I'd like to improve the trigger pull but don't really want to install the full accurizer kit. Thinking of the TandemKross trigger and the VQ sear or maybe just the sear. I'd have to go with the Mark II or III sear since you can't buy a IV sear alone. Anyone try this? Will the Mark II or III VQ sear work on the Mark IV?

seatrout

Bearcat
Would the mark ii sear and tandemkross trigger lower the trigger pull significantly?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
They would improve the trigger pull. The sear should lighten and smooth it a bit and the TandemKross trigger will allow you to adjust the takeup and overtravel. To do it right you also need the VQ hammer and bushing which will have the further advantage of eliminating the magazine disconnect.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
You can now buy just the Mark IV sear from Volquartsen. Wish you could have done that a month ago when I had to buy the whole Kit.

The Tandemkross Victory Trigger is great. It dropped my trigger pull another pound and I really like the way it feels. My finder doesn't move when I'm shooting.

You can get the bushing from TK as well.

Dan in MI

Staff member
A friend called yesterday and asked if I knew how to replace the hammer, sear, etc, on a MK-IV. As I have not been in one of those yet I didn't know.

So I am asking, are they different internally? Are there new tricks I need to learn?

Bricktop

Bearcat
Dan in MI said:
A friend called yesterday and asked if I knew how to replace the hammer, sear, etc, on a MK-IV. As I have not been in one of those yet I didn't know.

So I am asking, are they different internally? Are there new tricks I need to learn?
The safety functions as the hammer pivot. The grips need to be removed, then the right side safety lever needs to be removed, the safety lever -- which serves as the hammer pivot -- can then be removed on the left side of the pistol. The safety lever also serves as the pivot for the magazine disconnect and the safety itself. The sear will then flop backwards, out of position. The sear has its own pivot pin located in the grip frame below the safety. It's fairly self-explanatory upon inspection.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Volquartsen has an excellent video on how to install their kit. I watched it a few times before I did mine and it was easy. Only took me 30 minutes. Watch the video more than once and remember to uncock the hammer before trying to put the new one in.

seatrout

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
The MkII sear will work.
Here is the reply I got from TandemKross when I asked if the Mark II sear would work in the Mark IV -
"Unfortunately they are not compatible. We will be carrying a MKIV Sear very soon they are on there way to us now."

seatrout

Bearcat
I bought the Volquartsen accurizing kit today since the sear is not yet available by itself. I will attempt to install it myself :?

black029

Single-Sixer
Is there some sort of $.25 trigger job you can do on the Mark IV? After paying nearly 1000 bucks for a 22/45 Tactical and a Hunter model, I hate to lay out another $200+ to make the triggers good.