Improved sights for the Mark IV?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The black iron sights on the Mark IV are not ideal for me (I find them hard to discern against a black center of a paper target in a relatively poorly lighted indoor range that I go to) so I am interested in getting something that would be easier to use in dim light. Hoping to get some specific suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If you want to keep open sights Ruger sells a replacement fiber optic front sight for the MkIV that should greatly improve visibility, particularly against a dark background.

The ultimate improvement in sight visibility is, of course, a red dot. I'm a fan of the Bushnell TRS-25 as an excellent combination of quality and price but there are many others.

Since this gun is strictly for the range, not self defense, adding a laser seems to defeat the purpose of using this gun to improve/maintain my shooting skills. I may just look for some white dot sights that will work on the Mark IV.

I've got this same issue on a revolver. I think I'm just going to go the route of painting the front sight with nail polish. That trick has been around long enough, and it is removable if I change my mind.

But also, a red dot is NOT a laser. Nor do they magnify like a scope. In an indoor range with poor light like you said, a red dot would be fantastic. You might try borrowing one before saying "no thanks."

22/45 Fan

Hunter
vito said:
Since this gun is strictly for the range, not self defense, adding a laser seems to defeat the purpose of using this gun to improve/maintain my shooting skills
I did not recommend a laser and I agree it's not suitable for a range/target gun. I did recommend a red dot which is not at all the same thing.

john lee

Bearcat
Kevin said:
I've got this same issue on a revolver. I think I'm just going to go the route of painting the front sight with nail polish. That trick has been around long enough, and it is removable if I change my mind.

But also, a red dot is NOT a laser. Nor do they magnify like a scope. In an indoor range with poor light like you said, a red dot would be fantastic. You might try borrowing one before saying "no thanks."
What color nail polish do most people use? I've seen red and white but think an orange color would stand out more.

Well and also red dots don't magnify, so they still make good practice sights for target practice. I've got a couple rimfire pistols with a red dot and a few without. I can't say I'm a better shot one way or another.

They are just different is all. And worth a try if someone is not familiar with them.

Vito: you say you are in Rockford and shoot at a poorly lit indoor range? You do know there is a very nice outdoor range down the road from you. The Tri County Gun Club, near Polo. So like 30 minutes away. When I lived in Palatine I was a member there. Well, not sure if you are interested in that or not, but just thought I'd let you know.

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
D A Wood , does that just bolt right on a Mark IV ? Where do you get them ? Thanks .

Islanders19

Bearcat
vito said:
The black iron sights on the Mark IV are not ideal for me (I find them hard to discern against a black center of a paper target in a relatively poorly lighted indoor range that I go to) so I am interested in getting something that would be easier to use in dim light. Hoping to get some specific suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem as the person above.Has anyone use SiteGlow or similar products?

Thanks

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Islanders19 said:
I have the same problem as the person above.Has anyone use SiteGlow or similar products?
Those "glow in the dark" paints have very limited use as the glow fades rapidly and quickly offer no visibility improvement. That plus $10 for a tiny bottle makes them more of a gimmick than a practical tool. Several European pistols have that type of sight because tritium night sights, which really do work, are forbidden due to (misplaced) radiation concerns.

The best high-visibility front sight paint is nail polish or model paint, both of which are available in a huge range of colors at low price. Go to any Walmart's cosmetic shelves and choose from a large range of high visibility nail polish in reds, yellows, oranges and whatever suits your fancy. It's cheap, durable and easy to change.

John chaddock

Bearcat
Go to www.TaKdriver.com and check out there sights. Put the red front and green rear on my mark lV and thay are great in low light.

gkgeiger

Bearcat
Using a red dot has made me a much better shooter. With iron sights, even white dots or fiber optics I just can't get it done. Of course my 73 yr old eyes have something to do with it. Here's my MKIV 22-45.

Islanders19

Bearcat
D A Wood said:
These orange front sight inserts show up really well in dim light and especially outdoors.

I've not been able to contact DA WOOD about the Mark IV Orange custom sight in his post.
Anyone know if he's still in business ?

Thanks Lou

DUNTOV

Single-Sixer
vito said:

If it is a bull barrel, I love the 3 dot sights from a model 10119.
here are the part #s Front-A03611 REAR A06001 Front screw XR07600

VGEHTS

Bearcat
Islanders19 said:

Thanks

The black factory sights are a challenge for my aging eyes also.....
I went and purchased the HiViz #HRBLW01 (recommended on the Ruger accessories site) and tried them for a few days.
Excellant product and very Nice sights by the way.............but a titch taller than the factory sights.

So Sorry......Not to change this thread subject......But.....my other problem is my pistol already shoots a "titch low",and these HiViz sights are physically taller than the factory sights.
I already had the rear sight elevated to the max and I am still covering the target with the muzzle.
In other words,this new HiViz front sight is even "taller" as in too tall and still prevents any "6 o'clock" aiming.(in my case with my new Mark IV)

Today,I reinstalled the factory front site (a titch lower),modified with white nail polish. So far,so good,but the " muzzled aiming problem still exists". :(