Ruger 10/22 Suppressors??? Which are you using?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Just curious what suppressors different 10/22 owners may be using here.

Also, do they really reduce the sound when firing!?! If so, is it really significant?

Which manufacturer of suppressor are you using?

Any help you can provide would be awesome here.

Thank you!!!

Mine is a "Form 1" 7" long x 1.125" outside diameter with 7 baffles(my cost was under $50 plus BATFE stamp). Our factory made one is a Sparrow(I think). I don't have any experience with the "midget size" cans but don't think they have all that much merit for use on a 10-22(maybe better suited to use on a handgun).

"Also, do they really reduce the sound when firing!?! If so, is it really significant?"
Mine has been compared by several observers as "quieter than a pellet gun" when using subsonic ammo. Either of the two 10-22's I have with threaded barrels is fully as accurate with the muffler installed as the 2.5x optics will allow.
What you should NOT expect is "movie quiet"--this simply doesn't happen with run of the mill suppressors. In addition, you're likely to encounter the dreaded "first round pop" for which there is no nice resolution(the answer is messy). You will also need to clean your rifle about 5x as often as w/o the can.
All in all, the mufflers are about all the fun you could want and very practical to boot.

I have used the Ruger Silent SR, SilencerCo Spectre and Sparrow, and the Innovative Arms Slingshot (I am a suppressor dealer so I have a number of different types to demonstrate). With subsonic ammo, in a bolt or single shot it is almost Hollywood quiet, but remember they are suppressors not silencers (although both terms are commonly used to describe them).

Be aware that on some semi auto .22 rifles, the 10/22 included, the subsonic ammo with the suppressor may not have enough pressure to actuate the bolt. With standard or high velocity ammo, the semi autos will work better but the sound will be a little louder and you may hear the supersonic crack.

Accuracy should not be affected by the addition of a suppressor and in fact, many who use a suppressor on a larger caliber gun have found better accuracy (possibly because of the additional weight creates different barrel harmonics.

With my Ruger American Rimfire I can sit on my back deck and take care of the varmints and the neighbors (150 ft away) don't suspect a thing. In fact, with my Ruger American Ranch or my AR-15 in 300 Blackout (using a Rugged (the brand name) Surge 762 suppressor) I can shoot it and they won't hear it either.

A .45 ACP with the correct suppressor can be fired without hearing protection if using standard 230 gr ball ammo (since it is subsonic).

Do not use Hollywood sound effects to give you a realistic rendition of how a suppressor sounds. If you do, you will be disappointed. That said, suppressors DO make quite a difference, especially in .22's and yes they can be quieter than a pellet gun :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm using an AAC Element 2 but also have a TacSol Axiom on the way. Neither seem to have any first round pop. The difference in sound is huge and as was said, with subsonic ammo it is quieter than many air rifles. I'm getting to be quite impressed with the Norma subsonic hollowpoint. It is deathly quiet but still expands out of rifles.

Here it is on my 22/45:
IMG_8837b.jpg

Kanook

Buckeye
I'm using a Liberty Regulator. I bought a S&W 15/22 for use of hog/rat lights and ease of cleaning.

There is a big difference in noise when using different ammo. When using CCI standard vel my neighbours think that I'm shooting my pellet rifle because of my metal backstop. When using my pellet rifle they say that they can hear me shooting.

For the best in noise reduction a bolt action with a no longer than 5" barrel shooting sub-sonic and a wet can. That is "Hollywood Quite".

If you get bored, on Youtube "Mr Kanook". I get bored and shoot things with my Savage 22mag. You can hear the item pop sometimes when getting hit.

ChattanoogaPhil

Bearcat
On a rifle using standard vel/subsonic ammo there will be near zero report regardless what suppressor you choose.
The loudest sound on a suppressed 10/22 is the action slapping back and forth.
Bolt guns are stupid quiet.

Suppressing a rimfire pistol is another matter. Unlike a rimfire rifle of 16inches or longer where all the gun powder has been spent by the time the projectile leaves the barrel, on a pistol the gun powder is still burning and hot gasses are expanding. Those hot expanding gasses enter the suppressor and are more difficult to cool and slow. Remember, the function of a suppressor is to slow and cool gasses before escaping. That's what suppression is all about. .So... the size and design of the suppressor is more critical for use on pistols.

Some considerations,
Weight/length/diameter
Materials
Ease of cleaning

On the Ruger is a very popular Silencerco Sparrow. It isn't the quietest, has a nasty first round pop on pistols, but it is very easy to clean and materials make is very durable for a lifetime of use.

On the Savage is Yankee Hill Wraith.
It is very quiet due to being bigger in diameter (more volume to slow and cool those hot gasses). It's relatively light but isn't user serviceable for cleaning. The baffle materials are aluminum which requires replacing every 40k rounds or so.

Now based on what I said above you might think the suppressors should be flipped on the guns shown. But the Sparrow is so easy to clean that is stays on the pistol which gets shot a ton more than the bolt gun. There is no perfect rimfire suppressor.. there's always trade-offs.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Wow, thanks for the info everyone.

Nice pics too.

So, just to clarify - is there a required "stamp" or license to purchase a suppressor for a 10/22 or one of the .22 pistols?

Yes. The FAQs provided by Ruger will answer your questions regarding the NFA/BATF form 4 and the tax stamp requirements:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/micros/silent-sr/index.html

Others may chime in regarding the Form 1 option.

"Others may chime in regarding the Form 1 option."

My "chime" may be slightly out of tune.
We have a "trust" set up to ensure retained possession of the NFA items should the primary "stamp holder" die. It also ensures that we can have the items in a "common access" condition/area. The "trust" owns all the NFA items. This is as I understand the rules.
The Form 1 is basically an individual requesting an NFA stamp for a unit built for personal use-not for resale. The size and general description of the item is required along with the specific "stamping" which will be made on the body of the item. Name and address of the "maker"(location of the trust as shown on it's paperwork), a "model name/number", and a unique serial number.
You must figure all this out in the beginning and there's no changes after the form is filed. In addition, you can't finalize any of the construction until the stamp is in your possession. So, you can't experiment with designs or complete machining in advance.

ChattanoogaPhil

Bearcat
USMCXD said:
So, just to clarify - is there a required "stamp" or license to purchase a suppressor for a 10/22 or one of the .22 pistols?

Yes.

Most gun shops have a limited selection of suppressors in stock, so purchasing online is a good way to get the specific one you want after your research. There's a ton of choices.

SilencerShop.com is excellent to do business with. Once you select the can it will be shipped to your Class 3 dealer. When your Class 3 dealer receives the suppressor you'll complete the paperwork and send it off to the ATF along with a $200 check for a Tax Stamp. Once the paperwork is processed, the Tax Stamp will be sent to your Class 3 dealer. Then you can go pick up your suppressor and enjoy. Tax Stamp can take a few months to get. Tax Stamp (copy is ok) needs to be with suppressor on demand for any ATF agent. 99.9999999999% never will happen.

There is also an "E-file" method rather than paper. I'm not familiarizer with it. Perhaps someone here can comment.

e-File is OK if you are somewhat computer savvy and are using a trust(with it's own bank account).
I heartily recommend Silencer Shop. They will steer you through all the obstacles plus speed up the process. If you buy a suppressor out of state from an independent dealer, it adds time and cost to get it shipped into your state of residency. Silencer Shop has cooperating dealers and streamlines getting the NFA item within driving distance.

9x19

Hunter
I think e-file went away with the 41F rules change, can't submit fingerprints (now required for trusts as well as individuals) on-line .

Kanook

Buckeye
9x19 said:
I think e-file went away with the 41F rules change, can't submit fingerprints (now required for trusts as well as individuals) on-line .

According to Silencer Shop, fingerprints can be done online http://www.silencershop.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer

Mobuck said:
e-File is OK if you are somewhat computer savvy and are using a trust(with it's own bank account).

Depending on State, not all require a separate bank account for Trusts

DB30

Blackhawk
Got my Spectre in '09, upgraded to Spectre II a couple of years later. On the 10/22 with Tactical Innovations 16 1/2" barrel, sounds about like a pellet gun. Most quiet with MKII/TacSol 4 1/2". Also have a Beretta 87 and S & W 422 as optional hosts. Have only used CCI standard velocity ammo.
DB

This thread got me started looking at the cost of doing another Form 1 and I found that it's not cheap anymore.
Where did all the $50 "solvent trap " canisters go? I did a short search and found just the outer shells costing quadruple what I spent 2 years ago and the place I bought from seems to have disappeared.