.17HMR rifle(bolt) not ejecting cartridges...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BrandonS

Bearcat
... fires just fine, but the bolt return isn't ejecting the spent cartridges. have to get in there with a fingernail or knife blade... any ideas?

wwb

Hunter
A nit-picking point, but I think you mean "extracting". If the spent brass remains in the chamber when the bolt is retracted, the extractor is not working. If the spent brass is being pulled out of the chamber, but not being kicked out at the end of the bolt stroke, the ejector is not working.

Extractor problem....

Make sure the extractor (the little hook on the bolt face) moves freely and that the spring forces it firmly into the bolt face. Remove, clean, and lube as necessary.

There is a small groove at the back of the barrel into which the extractor fits when the bolt is closed. If it is full of crud, the extractor hook can not get behind the rim of the cartridge. Clean if necessary.

The hook on the extractor must be fairly sharp (not rounded) on the inside radius of the hook. If necessary, a light touch with a file will "square up" the hook. There may be an aftermarket extractor available - wouldn't surprise me if Ruger used the same part as they use on the 10/22, in which case the are a couple aftermarket extractors and extractor springs available.

Ejector problem.....

Not familiar with your rifle, but I'll bet it has a standing ejector - there will be a small longitudinal groove in the bolt and a "finger" of steel attached to the receiver that rides in the groove. When the bolt is fully to the rear, the "finger" projects into the lower left side of the bolt face and serves to pivot the spent brass around the extractor and kick it out of the port. If it's not ejecting, that part is broken, bent, or missing.

BrandonS

Bearcat
My apologies, you are correct, the extractor.
Thanks for the tips. I will check every one of them!

BrandonS

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
Which model(ASSuming it's a Ruger since you're here).
We're a fairly helpful group(most of the time).

It's locked away again... :) Ruger American 17 HMR rifle.

Last night I pulled it out and inspected the extractor mechanism, all looked good but for some metal flaking inside! I blew that out, wiped it, and practiced on a single cartridge... never failed.

Maybe some debris was indeed preventing the 'catching arm' from grabbing the cartridge.
Seems good so far, thanks!

Just my opinion but in my experience, the RAR 17HMR does have an extractor problem. I use a suppressor on mine and found that fired cases from most of the ammo I've tried fails to extract. My solution has been to use CCI "Green" ammo as it seems to work for me w/o cases sticking the chamber.