17 HMR GREEN ammo report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If you happen to hunt or just live in one of the "lead free" zones, here's a tidbit on non-tox 17 ammo. The CCI 16 grain Green is pretty decent ammo even though it's a little below the velocities of standard loads.
It does expand very quick. I was concerned about this at first but having shot water filled milk jugs @ 50 yards(test if it would penetrate well enough for use on coyotes) and water filled pop cans @ 100 yards(test if it would still readily expand at range), it seems adequate for hunting use.The ammo is definitely suitable for ground squirrels/prairie dogs well beyond 100 yards as the 100 yard pop cans were absolutely exploded.
I'm pretty much restricted to using this in my suppressed RAR (if I expect to have normal cycling) and have reconciled myself to the fact that this combination simply is NOT going to be as accurate as my 77/17 with Hornady ammo.

Nope. My RAR won't extract the more common "full power" ammo and it's too late in the year for me to send it back for attention. The GREEN ammo is slightly lower velocity and seems to be just enough to consistently extract.
As long as it's available and close to the same price, I'll keep using it.

I shot this ammo into water filled milk jugs at 100 and 150 yards yesterday. Blew the back out of the first jug both distances with total disintegration of the bullet. Only a few shards of copper(ish) fragments found in the bottom of the jugs. Didn't even ding the second jug either time so penetration is limited to 8" or less. Probably closer to 6" with the hydrostatic shock popping the back of the jug. The sound of the bullet hitting the jug is louder than the muzzle blast unless there's a treeline behind the target to reflect residual sound.
I'm hoping to get a chance to smack a yotie (or 3) with this outfit come winter. No doubt it will scramble the innards but likely not much blood trail if they run.

What I'm seeing (besides the low noise part) is virtually zero chance of pass-thru or ricochet. Contender has probably been in places where full penetration of the target could be a serious problem.
In my area there are mini-farms or acreage farmers with a small area surrounded by buildings or with a high number of animals. They have varmint problems but don't want the report of a centerfire rifle or any chance of non-target damage.
One individual runs 50-60 head of goats on a few acres bounded by a main highway on two sides and a gravel road w/4 occupied houses on the others. With the suppressed 17 HMR, I can address his coyote problems w/o upsetting the residents or drivers on the road.

contender

Ruger Guru
Spot on info above folks.
In my business,,, I have to work in close proximity to houses & people. Often,, trapping is the only way to remove a problem due to people. And when a firearm can be used,, I do have to look HARD at pass throughs. One of the reasons I like the 17 HMR.