1022 Target model - stay or go?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joseywales

Bearcat
I know this question can only be answered by a trip to the range, but I just haven't had the time yet. I have a Ruger 1022 Target model - brown laminate stock, with blue heavy barrel and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it. I had a guy look at it and he said it was a 1996 model. Just curious if these are that much "above" the regular 1022s, with regard to accuracy. Or would a shooter be better off just building one of his own? I realize a custom gun would wrangle a bit more accuract. But what kind of accuracy can you get out this Target model, with the right ammo? Thanks

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have one. Good scope with AO. Nice trigger. And my 77/22 , Weaver scope will shoot tighter groups. I let a girl shoot this 77/22 and she put 3 that a dime covered 100 yrds. This 10/22 T has not been shot
Much. I'm keeping it. I did see a 77/22 Target on here that I would love to shoot

I "owned" two of the 10/22T models. For 2+ times the cost of a standard sporter model, the accuracy was improved, but I didn't think I was getting 2+ times the accuracy. I sold them both. The significance of the ammo I was using will surface later...

Heliman recently bought a 10/22T with an aftermarket barrel. Using off the shelf plinking ammo, I was absolutely impressed with his rifle. So much so, I went out and bought a 10/22 Tactical, which has a 16" bull barrel and Hogue stock. I immediately experienced much improved accuracy. Then, we both decided to try some high-dollar target ammo. As pleased as we were with run of the mill ammo in these guns, the additional improvement with the target ammo was astounding. The first group I shot with Eley ammo, was 10-shots covered by a nickel at 50-yards. Maybe not Olympic accuracy, but pretty great compared to what I'm used to.

So my point here is, when I was not enamored with my 10/22T models, I might have been if I had tried target ammo.

WAYNO.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
First time I saw the Target model in Rugers catalog , I wanted one. Mine has a light trigger, I added auto bolt release. I paid 350.00 for it. Just need to spend some quality time with it.

gunzo

Hunter
A really good trigger will be the tie breaker between the avg. custom & 10/22 T for my use. That is unless the custom is a very, very expensive all out job, threaded receiver, $400 barrel, etc.. Or.... the T happens to be a Monday morning gun.

gunzo said:
A really good trigger will be the tie breaker between the avg. custom & 10/22 T for my use. That is unless the custom is a very, very expensive all out job, threaded receiver, $400 barrel, etc.. Or.... the T happens to be a Monday morning gun.

I should have also mentioned the trigger on these guns.

In my experience, none of them have an acceptable trigger out of the box, and in every case, I install a quality after market trigger group.

WAYNO.

gunzo

Hunter
Yes, ammo. Having a good trigger is necessary for most, but finding a rim fire rifles compatible ammo is job one. Finding any, & finding something that doesn't break the bank is the next challenge. You may be pleasantly surprised when you find a sleeper. My buddy handed me 2 boxes of Aguila standard vel. & said, try this. Before I try it, what's it cost ? I asked. Bout 2 bucks a box(pre shortage). I tried it, He tried it some more, we bought 2 cases of it at the next show.

Another thought. I used to think it unnecessary to use a wind flag at 22 distances, I was wrong. I was really surprised at how just a whisper of a cross wind can affect your results. Just a piece of surveyors ribbon taped to a straightened out coat hanger stuck in the ground can be very informative.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I bought one in the early 2000's and no matter what match ammo I tried it never grouped at the level it should have. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel, same results. I put a Green Mountain barrel on it and night and day difference in group size. Your results may vary. If I did it over again I would get a standard model, put a aftermarket barrel and trigger in it and call it a day.

mike243

Bearcat
I have had 1 for 10 years and it is a tack driver,the action screws need to be kept torqued or it is all over the place. I would rather have 1 than start with a basic rifle and have to add barrels ect to get decent accuracy.I'm not much on gunsmithing to get some thing to work well,trying different ammo is always part of the game unless you like to tinker around to make a certain flavor shoot good

m657

Buckeye
I've had one for going on 20 years. Finally put medium quality trigger & Harris bipod along with cheaper 12x36x40 scope.

I think the little-finger sized hole in the x-ring at 75 yards with 25-shot magazine dump convinced me to take it home again. And that was with only moderate-quality ammo.

Now I have some better stuff to compare previous performance. I'm satisfied there is no way I could build one myself for cheaper/better/etc.

And I like the 'hammered barrel' styling.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Ruger barrels are hit and miss. Some are horrible, some not so bad and some pretty good. Never seen a "great" barrel on one. The 10/22T is supposed to have a "match" chamber, but all I have seen still seem way loose compared to a good barrel with a real match chamber in it. I have a few 10/22s right now with the .920 hammer forged barrel with supposedly the "tight" chamber. None of MINE shoot better than the sporter weight barrels. Yours might be different..........Oh yeah, you can expect the trigger to be horrific, all the factory ones are

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I've had an AccuSports exclusive 10/22 Target model for a few years. The 20 inch barrel is slightly slimmer than the standard .920 inch diameter regular target model. I installed a 4-12 AO scope and the rifle was accurate, but not especially so, averaging about three fourths of an inch for 10 rounds at fifty yards. I replaced the junk Ruger supplied scope rail with a steel unit and installed a 2.5 lb Hornet trigger. The next range trip I was able to shoot CCI Standard into sub half inch ten shot groups at 50 yards. Several brands of high velocity fodder came close to the half inch mark. I need to try more ammunition, as I feel that on a good day with the right ammo this rifle can hit a third of an inch. Not too shabby for a 10/22 with under $500 invested.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I have one blued, one stainless. They are nice. Shoot well. But very heavy.

I have had regular, tapered carbines that shoot as well, though. So they are priced too high for the minor "improvement" offered, in my personal opinion. YMMV....

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have never seen a 10/22T that impressed me as being anymore accurate than any of the other newer 10/22's. I have a 1960's model 10/22 that shot better 1/2 groups at 50 yards, I put a Green Mountain bull barrel on it, and now shoot 1/4 groups with a load it likes.

If you want to bring your 10/22T into its own, send it to Clark Custom Guns for the 10/22 Accuracy Package ($145+$35 Return S&H)
http://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-services/ruger-1022-7722/

I am considering restoring my current build to near factory condition with it's walnut stock. The previous owner buttered the front sight on it though, but I think I can replace it.

I would then buying a new 10/22 for my target rifle set up, upgrade the stock to a Magpul Hunter, and send it to Clark Custom Guns for the Accuracy Package.

I am also considering sending my 10/22 International to Clark Custom for the Accuracy Package as well.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I got a very early one when they first came out. Added a Redfield scope and had the trigger done by TTShooter years back. It sits happily among the other dozen plus ones I've built up and shoots right along with them for the most part. Regardless of what others say, it LOVES the CCI Stingers. Wolf target is also an excellent choice for it too. Yes, taking the time and expense to build one would likely (not guaranteed) make for a more accurate shooter but is that additional fraction of an inch worth the added $$$? For an informal plinker they're great. For an informal target gun they're great. For a fun shooter, they're great. 8)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Problem with Ruger barrels has always been the chamber, not the bore. They cut their chambers loose for absolute reliability. So ANY 10/22 will benefit from getting the barrel set back and the chamber recut. That said, I'd rather spend the money on a better barrel in the first place. Not to mention that you can get all the accuracy possible out of a lighter barrel. My preference is for Clark's mid-weight barrel but Shilen also makes a very good varmint contour barrel. No need for a full bull barrel on a .22LR.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Joseywales said:
But what kind of accuracy can you get out this Target model, with the right ammo?
I'll try answering your actual question:

Most seem to be in the inch at fifty yards, but a good one, with the ammo
it likes can approach half that.

Mine does about three-quarter inch at 50y, but it is straight out of the
box (no change in barrel or trigger) with a reasonable scope. I also run
Winchester silver box ammo. If yours likes something like Eley Ten-x,
I'll bet you could improve on mine by quite a bit. :D

P.S. That's ten shot groups. :D