Ruger Mark IV Video.....are my Mark IIs now obsolete???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
I'll stick with my MK II T-514 bull barrel, thank you. I have too many magazines and too short a life to change now.
Geoff
Who still misses his MK I, regular, short barrel. Now a MK-IV with a plastic from...

coach

Hunter
The take down button on the rear looks handy.
I'd say your Mark III is no more obsolete than revolvers, bolt actions or lever actions.
Always a reason to buy another though.
Although from one of your previous posts you don't need much of a reason. :wink:
Edit to say I see it was Bear Paw Jack that had the problem not necessarily you. :)

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I'm with Geoff, my MKII T-514 has been with me over 20 years and can't see a reason to change.

RSIno1

Hunter
Should have been the MK5 - They brought out the MK4-50 in 1999. There was one of the new ones on Gunbroker for $789 opening bid. I'll stick with my 1970 Standard auto I bought used for $25 in the box.

street

Hunter
The MK4 has to be the best designed Ruger .22 Auto to date. Or any .22 Auto for that matter. Even I could take it apart and put it back together. All the good features of the other models are used and what can you say bad about the takedown.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Geoff Timm said:
I'll stick with my MK II T-514 bull barrel, thank you. I have too many magazines and too short a life to change now.
Geoff
Who still misses his MK I, regular, short barrel. Now a MK-IV with a plastic from...

Say WHAT? Hell, I don't miss any of my Ruger Standards, Mark I's, II's, III's or 22/45 pistols. I still have those. Your statement about the Ruger Mark IV having plastic? Plastic what? Where do you get your misguided information? The new Ruger Mark IV specifications say it's available with a steel or aluminum grip frame.

And BTW, the Ruger Mark II MK 514 does NOT have a bull barrel, it has the Heavy Tapered barrel, like this one:

Let's see that MK II T-514 Bull Barrel, it's gotta be a very valuable collectors item.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I think if I were in the market for a .22 pistol today I'd have no problem endorsing this pistol. It does solve the takedown issue that has plagued the MKI,II,III. I've had several MK pistols over the years and well remember my first one where I had to slink into the local gunsmith shop with my paper bag full of parts for a little training. While I'm sticking with my T-514 (I know it's a heavy taper) I think the new MKIV is a good step for Ruger.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Yes, Mark II pistols are totally obsolete. If anyone has any, PM me. I will provide you with the info on my local FFL so you can ship them here. I will make sure they're given proper burials.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
OK, this is a funny writeup on the new Ruger Mark IV: "Ruger Takes Steps To End World Profanity."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/23/keefe-report-ruger-takes-steps-to-end-world-profanity/

I haven't had a lot of trouble stripping and reassembling my Mark III 22/45, but I will admit that Gun Scrubber and a little Break-Free afterwards is a lot easier.

Mike J

Hunter
ProfessorWes said:
OK, this is a funny writeup on the new Ruger Mark IV: "Ruger Takes Steps To End World Profanity."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/9/23/keefe-report-ruger-takes-steps-to-end-world-profanity/

I haven't had a lot of trouble stripping and reassembling my Mark III 22/45, but I will admit that Gun Scrubber and a little Break-Free afterwards is a lot easier.

Very cool & entertaining write up. Now the only problem is y'all are making me want one of them.

TomV

Bearcat
FYI-check this out:
An inexpensive hardware solution to the reinstall the hammer mainspring assembly into Ruger MK pistols easily, quickly, and CORRECTLY EVERY TIME.  The new Hammer Strut Support (HSS) installs in seconds and remains in the handle.  The hammer strut will never again get lodged under the cross-pin in the handle.
PRE-ORDER until Oct 21, for $10 with free shipping at:
HammerStrutSupport.com

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
D A Wood said:
Geoff Timm said:
Geoff

Your statement about the Ruger Mark IV having plastic? Plastic what? Where do you get your misguided information?

I want the 22/45 version thank you, with a plastic frame.
Geoff
Who has simple tastes. :mrgreen:

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Ruger Mark IV Video.....are my Mark IIs now obsolete???

Well... crap... I guess I'll jes have to toss these Mk II's in the garbage can....

IMG_0400_zpsduuenbhe.jpg

flyerdoc

Single-Sixer
TomV said:
FYI-check this out:
An inexpensive hardware solution to the reinstall the hammer mainspring assembly into Ruger MK pistols easily, quickly, and CORRECTLY EVERY TIME.  The new Hammer Strut Support (HSS) installs in seconds and remains in the handle.  The hammer strut will never again get lodged under the cross-pin in the handle.
PRE-ORDER until Oct 21, for $10 with free shipping at:
HammerStrutSupport.com

That is interesting, but the R&D is a bit suspect according to the website the HSS will work on the Mark III but they are not sure if it will work on the Mark I and II...it says to stay tuned to further developments. Lol, this one must really be done on a shoestring budget. I mean couldn't they at least borrow a few more models to see if it was going to work??? Weird!

I'll happily take all the Mk2 pistols anyone wants rid of @ $100 per regardless of condition as long as they're complete and function. Just want to help the world of shooters into the "new era".