counterfit 10/22 mags?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merle1948

Buckeye
Greetings,

I recently bought four 10 round mags, all seem to be Rugers. None of them load easily - very strong spring and feel rough. When unloading manually, they tend to spit rounds out. One of them was so bad it jammed in the gun & had to be pried out with a screwdriver - then the rounds would not come out of the mag. That POS got a flying lesson. :evil:

My questions are; any sure way to confirm these are genuine Rugers; also could they just need to be broken in?

Thanks

m657

Buckeye
look for the Ruger trade mark; as far as I can recall, one is present on all Ruger factory stuff.
Plus on 10 shot rotary magazines they seem to work well.

Merle1948

Buckeye
m657 said:
look for the Ruger trade mark; as far as I can recall, one is present on all Ruger factory stuff.
Plus on 10 shot rotary magazines they seem to work well.

I don't see any trade mark - just the word "Ruger" as well as the eagle. They don't look any different that the original that came with the gun. Maybe I just got a crappy batch? :(

9x19

Hunter
Where did you buy them, and what sort of packaging did they come in?

If they were used or a private party sale, then perhaps the previous owner disassembled them for cleaning and incorrectly tensioned the spring when putting them back together.

The spring retaining cap has six flats on it, after the slack from the spring taken up, I turn the cap four flats past that point to properly tension the spring.

Merle1948

Buckeye
9x19 said:
Where did you buy them, and what sort of packaging did they come in?

If they were used or a private party sale, then perhaps the previous owner disassembled them for cleaning and incorrectly tensioned the spring when putting them back together.

The spring retaining cap has six flats on it, after the slack from the spring taken up, I turn the cap four flats past that point to properly tension the spring.

A guy at work came up with them. Two of them were loose & two were in boxes. Thanks for the assembly tip - I didn't know they could be taken apart. :oops:

Merle1948

Buckeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Just a thought..........if "they" can counterfeit purses and lots of "stuff" in China, one can assume they can mold phoney
Ruger 10 22 clips

That was my thought; I was mostly wondering if anyone else had noticed this. :(

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
BACK TO SQUARE X.........CONTACT SERVICE IN NEWPORT..TELL THEM YOU HAVE FOUR CLIPS THAT DO NOT WORK. SUPPLY LITTLE OR NO INFO ON SOURCE,, JUST ON WHAT OCCURS .ASK FOR REPLCACMENTS AND LET THEM FIGURE OUT THE ISSUES , WHATEVER THEY ARE ....

Merle1948

Buckeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
BACK TO SQUARE X.........CONTACT SERVICE IN NEWPORT..TELL THEM YOU HAVE FOUR CLIPS THAT DO NOT WORK. SUPPLY LITTLE OR NO INFO ON SOURCE,, JUST ON WHAT OCCURS .ASK FOR REPLCACMENTS AND LET THEM FIGURE OUT THE ISSUES , WHATEVER THEY ARE ....

Probably my best bet - thanks

ranger1

Buckeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
BACK TO SQUARE X.........CONTACT SERVICE IN NEWPORT..TELL THEM YOU HAVE FOUR CLIPS THAT DO NOT WORK. .
You mean four "Magazines" don't you? :lol: :lol: Sorry, just had to say it.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Some of us, especially us older folks used clips for years. Then we were told we were using magazines and people made fun of us if we still called than "clips". I have decided they will remain clips to me. And my favorite Blackhawk is a .45 Long Colt.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Cracker-American said:
Some of us, especially us older folks used clips for years. Then we were told we were using magazines and people made fun of us if we still called than "clips". I have decided they will remain clips to me. And my favorite Blackhawk is a .45 Long Colt.

I understand. As noted earlier, and at this age, they do not talk back to me, so I call them whatever name seems historically related to my nearly eight decades.......... 8) :wink:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Merle1948 said:
None of them load easily - very strong spring and feel rough. When unloading manually, they tend to spit rounds out. One of them was so bad it jammed in the gun & had to be pried out with a screwdriver - then the rounds would not come out of the mag. That POS got a flying lesson...

My questions are; any sure way to confirm these are genuine Rugers; also could they just need to be broken in?

Hi,

Based on personal experience, all those symptoms point to GENUINE Ruger! Sorry, guys... the magazine design is great, the legendary QC involved in their manufacture not so much. :oops:

Moving past that, if you want to take 'em apart, clean the bejeebers out of them, smooth and deburr any rough spots, lube appropriately, reassemble with appropriate spring tension, and shoot 'em a bunch to break 'em in, you might just be surprised at what a little fluff and buff will do. Info on performing all these chores is available online, with videos to help make sense of things.

Or you could call Ruger, see if they'll send you four more, and maybe STILL have to go thru the song and dance routine...

Good luck!

Rick C

Merle1948

Buckeye
Rick Courtright said:
Merle1948 said:
None of them load easily - very strong spring and feel rough. When unloading manually, they tend to spit rounds out. One of them was so bad it jammed in the gun & had to be pried out with a screwdriver - then the rounds would not come out of the mag. That POS got a flying lesson...

Hi,

Based on personal experience, all those symptoms point to GENUINE Ruger! Sorry, guys... the magazine design is great, the legendary QC involved in their manufacture not so much. :oops:

Moving past that, if you want to take 'em apart, clean the bejeebers out of them, smooth and deburr any rough spots, lube appropriately, reassemble with appropriate spring tension, and shoot 'em a bunch to break 'em in, you might just be surprised at what a little fluff and buff will do. Info on performing all these chores is available online, with videos to help make sense of things.

Or you could call Ruger, see if they'll send you four more, and maybe STILL have to go thru the song and dance routine...

Good luck!

Rick C

Thank you. :(

Ross61

Bearcat
Clips" is short for "stripper clips." Old guys be really old. ;)

But I digress, on to the main topic.

OP - sounds like you have some really, REALLY dirty used MAG A ZINES. :D

Merle1948

Buckeye
Ross61 said:
Clips" is short for "stripper clips." Old guys be really old. ;)

But I digress, on to the main topic.

OP - sounds like you have some really, REALLY dirty used MAG A ZINES. :D

Not at all - they were really clean.

Latest posts