Ruger 10/22 Target /Light Varmint or build ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tlen

Bearcat
I'd like to add a more accurate rifle than my standard Ruger 10/22 [#1151] for target work to my collection.

I haven't heard any glowing reports on the bull barrel Ruger 10/22 "Target" models [#1121 & 1262] or the "Light Varmint" models [#1234, 1235 & 1237]. Other than a heavier barrel and a reportedly "light" trigger, what do the T and LV models offer in increased accuracy ? Do they also have Bentz chambers like after market barrels ? Are the "Target" triggers a different design or just lighter springs ?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth while to go with a Ruger T or LV model or spend a little more to buy a low end 10/22, add a VQ target hammer, get a .920" barrel stock, and add a Green Mountain or E R Shaw barrel.

9x19

Hunter
In my experience with the T models, build one yourself with a Green Mountain or (if you like lightweight) TacSol barrel.

The Ts I owned (one blue, one stainless) had the same sporting chamber as the standard barrels and the triggers were not much different from the basic carbine. I had mine re-worked by Randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering but grew tired of the excess weight for a woods gun.

Iron85

Bearcat
Kidd also just started making an ultralight barrel for 180ish. I have one waiting at home to try, not sure with which of my rifles. You can always look for a nice used barrel and either get someone to rework your trigger or buy the kid trigger kit.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
My Ruger Target 10/22 Barrel is what I judge others by, they are an excellent barrel for the average shooter.
To each his own, :wink: :wink:
Terry

50 yards Wolf And CCI Select,

From what I've heard the heavy factory bull barrel is better than the cheaper aftermarket barrels like green Mountain or shaw. Have you been to rimfire central? This is where I've read about aftermarket barrels.

I have a Kidd barrel and love it. To answer your question, in my humble opinion, I'd say build your own using a low end 10.22. You can buy parts over time so it just doesn't seem as expensive.

You also need a good stock and some optics as well....

CraigC

Hawkeye
You can build a better one. I can heartily suggest the mid-weight barrel from Clark or the varmint contour from Shilen. Either will be heavier than the factory carbine or overly light lightweight barrels but lighter than a steel bull barrel but sacrifice nothing in accuracy. I really don't understand why they aren't more popular.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Sir, Here's a couple to give you some ideas, possibilities are endless. I have found that the light weight barrels take a bit of getting used to on top of the bags.

Ruger Sporter stock opened up to take a mid-weight Clerk .920 to .630, pillar bedded, custom rebuilt trigger group with Power after market parts, custom JW Hardin bolt.

This is the rifle that shot the groups I posted, started out as a Target 10/22. The only thing left Factory is the barrel and a few small parts in the trigger group, JW Hardin custom bolt.

This was my first "Fun" build, Tac-Sol Match barrel with brake, Rare Predator stock with pillar bedding, custom trigger group.

I love that red and black combo. I am a traditional blue and walnut gun guy, but think 10/22's should be outrageous, the more the better. I'm not sure why they are the exception, probably because properly set up, they can be extremely accurate and thus need shown off.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
I've done a couple of bull barrel builds and it's real easy to put $700-$800 into one. Now I'd think real hard about the LVT with some trigger work.

My 10.22 with a kidd barrel and trigger cost me about that much. I found a pretty comfortable adjustable stock for it, so perhaps a bit more. The advantage is just do a little at a time, shooting in between modifications to figure out what you think needs upgrading.

Badmoose

Bearcat
I also just bought a light varmint rifle and took it to an Appleseed meet. Passed the army qualification test with it and was able to shoot 10 shot 4 moa groups from prone. Haven't tried from a bench rest yet but seems to be pretty good out of the box.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Personally, I would build one from the cheapest donor you can find.........CAN, you get a good factory "target" barrel......sure, sometimes, maybe, who knows. But I would rather take my chances with a Kidd.