Winchester M-22 ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
See a couple of 1000 round boxes of this at local WallyWorld at $50 each. The fact that it's sitting there, and the recall issues of a year ago make me hesitant to spring.
Any opinions?

triton186

Bearcat
the recall was in January '14 and it was limited to (I believe 2) specific lot #'s. I have gone through about 10-12 of those 1,000rd boxes since the recall with no issues. most of that has been when taking my young nephews to the range, and I do so without a concern about the ammo. its not my #1 choice, but it goes bang, or should I say pew-pew-pew, when there are no cci minimags or tactical on the shelf.

the fact that you're suspicious because its there on the shelf is a testament to how sad the rimfire ammo situation is. the fact is, for someone to buy it, its got to be on the shelf at some point for someone to grab it. as the old, saying goes, life is all about timing. yours was good, but it doesn't sound like you took advantage of it.

that said, if you don't buy it and enjoy it, someone else will.

9x19

Hunter
As my machine shop instructor always said: Some are better than others, but any is better than none.

He was talking about cutting fluids, but I think it applies to ammo too. :D

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
black029,

Good to see another Wake County shooter! I bought one of those boxes from wallyworld , but haven't broken it open yet. Hope it does well.

roylt

Hunter
That is a deal, should have bought it. I have used some and it is just like all the rest. at 100yd it seems slightly less accurate but still fun as all get out to shoot.

I keep hoping to find some 22 when I go to walmart but have not seen any in 2 years.

Jwp721

Single-Sixer
I quit looking in wallyworld after way too many unsuccessful trips. Just happened to be in the store for another reason and decided to check the ammo. Clerk said they had just got some in and dropped a box of the M-22s on the counter. I almost gasped when he said $49 as I had not planned to buy any ammo. Turned away and then turned back around and said what the heck. Flashbacks to two years ago ammo drought are still fresh in my mind I guess. lol.

dingode

Single-Sixer
Only problem I had with them is they won't fit the cylinder of my single ten. They work fine in my MK's, 10/22, and 15-22.

RoadBlocker

Bearcat
Since there's still such a shortage of ammo going on M22 is better than nothing. But I've put up with misfires, loose bullets in shell, out of round casings, etc. In 1 instance we probably had an over-charged load. It was louder and smoked from the receiver before levering out the empty from a Henry. But even with the issues I'll probably buy it if it's the only thing available. It's been many years even seeing 1k round boxes of .22 ammo, so I bought all 2 they had at WallyWorld. Naturally it's crap!

Saltcreek

Bearcat
dingode said:
Only problem I had with them is they won't fit the cylinder of my single ten. They work fine in my MK's, 10/22, and 15-22.

After seeing this post I went to my never tried box of M22 and found it would NOT chamber in the 22lr cylinder of my convertible stainless single-six. :shock: Further checking found it was a tight push fit in my S&W M63 pre-lock. I've shot 10s of thousands in over 55 years of shooting 22s, and never had one not fit at all. Won't buy this again, glad I only had 500.