Education

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Swamper

Bearcat
Recently, I witnessed something that seems all too common. I was at a large chain sporting goods store and a man in his 30's was informing his much younger counterpart that the Beretta .22LR pistol was merely a "toy" and that if one were shot with such a 22, he would just be P.O.'d. But, worse yet, the counterman agreed with him. Needless to say, I couldn't tend to my own business and politely informed all of them that they were wrong on all accounts. Like many here, I just have much more life's experiences than they could pool together. In reflection, perhaps they and others weren't as lucky as I.
None too long ago, our great country was suffering from a disease - economic tinkering, resulting in the Great Depression. And, we have come full circle. While tools are important, the greatest one is your mind.

Like many of you, I was blessed with wonderful great grandparents and grandparents who ably weathered hard times and I was fortunate to listen and learn from their experiences. All offered instruction on the Depression and the absolute need for self reliance. Each managed with 22 single shot rifles and large gardens.

Decades later, both considered themselves armed to the teeth with "expensive" hardware, still relying on their "Depression Era" value of a dollar mindset. When I was very young, my maternal grandfather had added an old, single barrel 12 gauge, still have his single shot .22 rifle (no scope), and an early H&R 922 revolver in .22LR. My paternal grandfather had a Ithaca 37 pump 12 gauge and a later variation of the H&R 922 as well.
Each very ably provided food for their families and neither ever felt undergunned for defense with the H&R's.

My maternal grandfather stood down two men who had broken into his truck. Once they saw the gun, they decided that whatever instructions he gave them were as good at the Gospel. When my paternal grandfather passed away, my grandmother continued with the same logic. She felt that "them hollerpoints will blow your head off" and she shared the same quote with a young man that thought he might steal from her late one night. He backed out of the window far quicker than when he entered.

During his most prolific hunting years, my Dad's sole handgun was a Ruger Standard (6-inch skinny barrel). Modesty and not wanting to tarnish the family name, I am constrained to tell you all that he killed in the 50 plus years he shot that pistol. I still have that gun and it remains as accurate and reliable as the day he bought it.

All this to say, "It is incumbent to all of us that we encourage and educate."

Swamper

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
My Great grand-father, often said that a direct hit with a .22 will be a miss with anything else every time.

contender

Ruger Guru
The "lowly" 22 LR has been used to kill a lot more than anybody will ever know.
Can it stop a man?
Yes.
Can it stop a drug crazed man.
Yes.
Will it do it every time, with any shot placement?
No.
But, neither will anything else you can hand carry.

I can say, personally, I have witnessed the potential power of the 22 LR in it's use for over 45 years. But, I can also say this; I've been shot by a 22 LR & it wasn't a superficial wound. I carry a daily reminder in how I'm NOT able to use my left leg 100%.

Unfortunately, too many people believe they have to have the latest, greatest, loundnekickenboomer whiz-bang gun out there. Many also believe the crap that others spout without any first hand knowledge of actual shooting a live body, or animal.
Sigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

jimd441

Blackhawk
Good points all, come to think of it I have more .22's than all other calibers combined.

Jim

mohavesam

Hawkeye
First man I ever witnessed shot "up close and personal" was a 6-foot messkin, drunk and angry. Gun was a little Jennings 22LR at about 4-6 feet range. Two or three chestplate hits and the drunk dropped his knife and went down like a wet dishrag. A 22 just may save your life.

A good friend is working on his second Masters degree, but couldn't change a tire to save his life. Ignorance comes in many flavors.
But mine is not to judge harshly.

George

Blackhawk
I have a H&R 922 .22LR snub nose 9 shot! A lot were made but few people ever part with the shortys for some reason I am told. If I remember right mine dates to 1951.. And yes a .22 is as deadly as any cal. in the right hands! George

chet15

Hawkeye
Back when we were selling guns at gun show tables I remember an older individual coming to our table and looking at a Freedom Arms Mini-Revolver that was with the buckle, and he said the same thing...that thing wouldn't hurt a fly!
That's the reason we have a lot of idiots out there who preach about this look or that look with so called assault weapons. They have not a clue that you can just put a different looking stock on it or get rid of the flash hider or extended magazine and all of a sudden it doesn't look so ominous.
Chet15

toysoldier

Hunter
One surgery I asisted on involved a woman who was shot through both legs by her boyfriend, who used a .44 mag. Five holes, and we didn't even keep her overnight. It was a matter of poor shot placement: the bullet first passed through the left anterior thigh, then the right anterior thigh. The fifth hole was made by the bullet jacket, which separated from the core as it passed through the first leg and lodged in the lower abdomen.

On the other hand, I asisted on two craniotomies, dealing with self inflicted (eventually) fatal gunshots---both from .22's.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
10 rds of .22lr on target is far better than zero rds of .44 mag on target. Which is why I bought a SR22 for my wife, and I have a Sig 1911-22 among others. :mrgreen: Not putting down large calibers, I have a couple of those also, but the .22 doesn't get the respect it deserves. I think some of this is due to old opinions of early .22 ammo capability. Modern .22 ammo is far more effective than what was available 50 or 60 years ago. The remaining downside of .22 is the rimfire case, which just isn't as reliable an ignition system as centerfire, although it is better than it used to be.

I keep hoping that somebody will come up with a better way of propelling a projectile down a barrel than what we have had for the last 2000 years. Other than relatively minor changes in powder and ignition systems, what we have now is essentially no different (except for the mechanics of it) than what the ancient Chinese came up with. :roll: :) I want my hand held rail gun or Dis-integrator Pistol. :wink: Where's Buck Rogers when you need him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYQzN7_Y8kc

trapperon

Blackhawk
Gunny Gene

Remember the flop Remington had when they tried to create a more reliable way to send a projectile down the barrel? It was electronic--needed special primers for reloading and used a special electronic ignition system. It was available for a couple years--I think around 1990 and failed miserably. You never hear about them now or even see these model 700's that were in their catalog---so anybody that actually bought one is just totally screwed now.

For all the shooting I have done over the years I have had very very few mis fires.

You know the old saying----keep your powder dry!!!

Ron

edlmann

Blackhawk
trapperon said:
Remember the flop Remington had when they tried to create a more reliable way to send a projectile down the barrel? It was electronic--needed special primers for reloading and used a special electronic ignition system. It was available for a couple years--I think around 1990 and failed miserably. You never hear about them now or even see these model 700's that were in their catalog---so anybody that actually bought one is just totally screwed now.

Lets see - what better ideas have gone south - the Dardick Tround, the Gyrojet pistol and rifle, and I haven't made it out of the '60s yet.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
trapperon said:
Gunny Gene

For all the shooting I have done over the years I have had very very few mis fires.

You know the old saying----keep your powder dry!!!

Ron
Yep. That and the gyrojet. The only other propellant besides gunpowder that is still around is compressed air, and that isn't quite up to gp. :)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

11 years old, sitting in a hunter safety class, the instructor put a .22LR and a .30-06 cartridge on the desk and asked us which we'd rather be shot with. We all chose the smaller round.

He then went on to explain how dangerous the .22 could be because of the small, slower bullet doing all kinds of crazy things once it enters a body. And he told us a story about some kids about our ages out rabbit hunting with .22s, walking down a trail with loaded rifles, single file. One of the boys tripped or stumbled, and his rifle discharged, hitting the kid in front of him in the back of the knee.

The kid who was hit died. Autopsy revealed the bullet had hit bone, turned upward and traveled thru muscle into the abdominal cavity then bounced around thru a couple of cycles between ribs and other bones. It made quite the mess of a couple of organs, so I imagine the victim simply bled out internally.

I believed that story, and have no desire to stand in front of a .22LR just to see what it might do.

Rick C

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

11 years old, sitting in a hunter safety class, the instructor put a .22LR and a .30-06 cartridge on the desk and asked us which we'd rather be shot with. We all chose the smaller round.

He then went on to explain how dangerous the .22 could be because of the small, slower bullet doing all kinds of crazy things once it enters a body. And he told us a story about some kids about our ages out rabbit hunting with .22s, walking down a trail with loaded rifles, single file. One of the boys tripped or stumbled, and his rifle discharged, hitting the kid in front of him in the back of the knee.

The kid who was hit died. Autopsy revealed the bullet had hit bone, turned upward and traveled thru muscle into the abdominal cavity then bounced around thru a couple of cycles between ribs and other bones. It made quite the mess of a couple of organs, so I imagine the victim simply bled out internally.

Ask any alligator how deadly a .22 is.

I believed that story, and have no desire to stand in front of a .22LR just to see what it might do.

Rick C

n5wd

Bearcat
I worked as a Paramedic in and around Fort Worth for over 25 years, and couldn't tell you how many people that I've worked on that were really hurt badly by a simple .22 round. They tumble, they break up, they ricochet inside a body, and do terrible things if the enter the skull through soft tissue or directly through the bone.

Yes, a lot of people think the .22 won't kill. I know better than that.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Years ago I was taught in my youth rifle club that, outside of military actions, more people have been killed with 22LR than any other round out there. Thee are just so many of them out there the numbers are staggering.

At one time I had a weekend job slaughtering beef for a butcher that did custom meat packing. One 40 grain 22 round would drop a 2,000# beef with one shot.

n5wd said:
I worked as a Paramedic in and around Fort Worth for over 25 years, and couldn't tell you how many people that I've worked on that were really hurt badly by a simple .22 round. They tumble, they break up, they ricochet inside a body,.....
We had a President that would have attested to that. Fellow named Reagan.