Help finding "old style" 10/22 magazine release.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I need one of the non extended mag releases for a 10/22 (Ruger calls them magazine latch). I thought this would be about the easiest part in in the world to find, but no. Midway, Brownells, Numerich, ebay, Gunbroker etc not one single listing. Is the current 77/22 release the same part as the old 10/22 release? Can I just stick one of those in?

I just installed an extended magazine release. If you want the one I took off pm me your address and I'll stick it in the mail.

Why don't you want an extended release?

contender

Ruger Guru
Kevin, many folks complained that the flush, older style mag release was "too hard to operate." Well, aftermarket companies developed an extended release in many different types & they sold well. So, now Ruger has them. But, the flush type is more comfortable to others who want the clean lines & feel.
Different strokes for different folks!

9x19

Hunter
The 77/22 release is different in design, it will not interchange with the 10/22 release.

The American Rimfire bolt guns DO use the same release as the 10/22.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Kevin, thanks, I'll PM my address to you. I'll send you a spare mag or Ruger universal scope mount if you need either of those. The flush release is not as convenient as the extended, I just like the looks better. Don't like the extra piece sticking out of a gun that has such clean, slick lines as the 10/22.

Yeah I can see your point. I opted for the kidd release. It has a bar that goes down and follows the contour of the trigger guard.

Well it's in the mail. Let me know if it works!

wolfee

Blackhawk
Great, thanks. I wander around shooting websites a lot and this is the only one where you see "random acts of kindness" like that occur. Also, we seem to avoid all the hot smoke and BS that flows from most of the other sites!

If you still need one, just private message me and we'll work something out... I've got 3 or 4 just laying around in a box somewhere if that's what you want.... but as Contender pointed out the newer ones and aftermarket ones are much improved over the original.

williamc

Single-Sixer
I run the old style mag catch on my late model 10/22 because I've found that the extended magazine release can catch on twigs and bushes while small game hunting. I've almost lost a magazine before because of this.

heavyhitter43

Bearcat
If you still need one, just private message me and we'll work something out... I've got 3 or 4 just laying around in a box somewhere if that's what you want.... but as Contender pointed out the newer ones and aftermarket ones are much improved over the original.
Do you still have a original old style flush mag release for the 10/22 I stupidly upgraded mine to the extended mag release and I regret it and can't find the original one anywhere and I'm trying to convert it back to original stock as possible.

guntoter1

Bearcat
Do you still have a original old style flush mag release for the 10/22 I stupidly upgraded mine to the extended mag release and I regret it and can't find the original one anywhere and I'm trying to convert it back to original stock as possible.
If you find one, let me know.
After being assured that they could get the flush mount releases; Brownells took my order 2 months ago on backorder; I just now received 5 pos extended releases!
Exactly what I was trying to get away from!
Some folks ask why I don't like the extended releases.
I have an abundance of Butler Creek Hotlip mags, they have a built-in thumbslide designed to depress the flush releases. They will not work in 10/22's with the extended releases!!!
Nice job Ruger. At least offer flush releases as an alternative!!!

guntoter1

Bearcat
Do you still have the original release
I probably have a couple in one of my parts bins.
Randyzzz,
If you have a couple of flush 10/22 mag releases I would be VERY interested in purchasing them from you.
I have an abundance of Butler Creek Hotlips magazines that will not fit a extended release due to them having a thumbslide designed to depress the flush release. The extended lever will not allow them to be inserted into the magazine well.

Thanks!

guntoter1

Bearcat
Randyzzz,
If you have a couple of flush 10/22 mag releases I would be VERY interested in purchasing them from you.
I have an abundance of Butler Creek Hotlips magazines that will not fit a extended release due to them having a thumbslide designed to depress the flush release. The extended lever will not allow them to be inserted into the magazine well.

Thanks!
I had all of my 10/22's, which were fitted with the old style releases, stolen by some thieving lowlife! Buying new guns as replacements leaves me no choice.
I have to settle for much older, well used, and worn 10/22's just to obtain a decent mag release.
It sucks!!