Charger bipods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Ive noticed on gunbroker and some other places that the standard charger seems to have the new style bipod and most takedowns appear to be coming with the old harris style bipod. My takedown hasn't arrived yet but im wondering which bipod will show up.

Guess i'll wait and see. I did monkey around with the new bipod at the gunshop and really dont like it myself. If it shows up with the new bipod , I guess I have a harris benchrest model handy...

9x19

Hunter
My 2nd gen Charger came with the UTG, and I like it better than the one that came with my original model.

chet15

Hawkeye
Keep sn's on the changes everybody!!!
Looks like the early guns were the only ones shipped with Harris bipods.
Saw plenty of non takedown models today with the UTG bipod.
490-48378
490-48397
490-49201
490-49364
490-49585
and saw only one takedown, it also had the UTG bipod 490-50764.

Keep note also that all of these have Ruger's 50th Anniversary 10/22 rollmark on the bolt. This will disappear off of these models very shortly so would be nice to keep track of the serial number change in that as well.
Chet15

I just picked up my Takedown and it has the UTG bipod,( I mistakenly posted previously that it was coming in with the Harris style)
a casing date of 12/23/14 and a 50th stamp[ on the bolt.
Chad, I sent you the serial number.
I have an issue with the forearm attachment stud and will
place a seperate post on that for advice.

On my older Charger, I have the originally-supplied Shooters Ridge Bi pod. After the original Charger was discontinued, shopruger.com had a clearance sale on these small bi-pods, and I bought four of them.

Now, apparently they've changed their bi-pod supplier, and best I can tell, folks are up in arms over this change.

Can somebody post a photo of the new bi-pod, so I can visualize the changes and maybe know why I should understand the dissatisfaction? :?

WAYNO.

9x19

Hunter
From: http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Combat-Profile-Adjustable-Height/dp/B001WJ577O/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This is the same bipod Ruger supplies... UTG also offers the same model with springs on the legs. I prefer the no springs model.

61OXtragDyL._SL1000_.jpg

9x19 said:
From: http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Combat-Profile-Adjustable-Height/dp/B001WJ577O/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This is the same bipod Ruger supplies... UTG also offers the same model with springs on the legs. I prefer the no springs model.

Thank you for this. But I still gotta continue to wonder why folks do not like this new model bi-pod. Ultimately they all do the same thing, and it doesn't seem to be any more or less cumbersome than a previous model.

WAYNO.

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
9x19 said:

Thank you for this. But I still gotta continue to wonder why folks do not like this new model bi-pod. Ultimately they all do the same thing, and it doesn't seem to be any more or less cumbersome than a previous model.

WAYNO.

I think it just might be a "as time passes" thing. So many people hear "Harris Style" and think that is the top dog. I bought a bipod very similar to the newer Charger bipods, for my dad's AR rifle. It has the clamp-on barrel design and is actually made by UTG as well. He loves it and he had always been a Harris Style bipod guy.

Jon

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Harris recognized the need and made the shooting industry's first practical, use-able bipod back when some of us were just a fiver on a three-day pass. They worked, period. They set the standard, plainly true.
I still have one (mounted) that I bought in high school, and that was a few decades past. There have been imitators and genuine ripoffs, and some innovative designs.
The Ruger-suppied UTG style is ok also. I just want the thing to PERFORM as well as a Harris. If the UTG can withstand baked-in mud, sand and ice, then I'll try one.
More probably I'll settle for a "free" :roll: one as-supplied by Ruger.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I brought up the subject after handling the charger with the new bipod at the lgs. My feeling is that the new utg bipod was pretty crude , a pain in the butt to adjust , and fold up. It was pretty sticky like there were rough machined edges binding up. I wanst really impressed. Will it work? Sure. As well as my harris models? It doesnt appear so to me.

Mohavesam has it right , everything is judged next to a harris because they work and work well. I have had harris too for the last 25 years or so and maybe im stuck in my ways. If the charger ever gets here i guess there will be a bilod for sale cheap if it comes with the utg styled unit...

9x19

Hunter
The earlier Charger bi-pods were not made by Harris... they are sold under a number of different brand names and can be found at Wal-Mart for about $30. Here it is from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Ridge-40854-Champion-Bi-Pod/dp/B0002INWLY/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

51FOVsu3VbL._SL1000_.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
9x19 said:
The earlier Charger bi-pods were not made by Harris...

Ruger never sold Harris bipods, that is true. They were Chinese-communist-made ripoffs contracted by Ruger for cheap.
Again, they copied the Harris design because the US-designed Harris product worked so well for decades.

Latest posts