New av Block for .920 Barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Looking to put a bull barrel on my 10/22. I assume I would need a new v block to support it?

contender

Ruger Guru
If you are talking about a V block under the barrel to support the weight, NO. Let it free float. If you are talking about the V block that attaches the barrel to the receiver, no, it should be built to take the original V block mount.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Really? I've read about the heavy barrels possibly sagging with the weight. As for free float, if the stock has the channel to free float woukdnt it still free float if the block was there to support the barrel as it enters the receiver?

9x19

Hunter
Barrel droop is a possibility if the fit between barrel and receiver is loose.

Newer barrels/receivers are quite tight, but those of even 5 years ago were usually not.

Yes, there are v-blocks on the market that allow you to put upward pressure on the barrel to help minimize any droop, but I'd buy the barrel first and see if the adjustable v-block is needed... and go slow when fitting the shank to the receiver.

BTW, I abandoned all steel .920 barrels a long time ago, there are lightweight .920s from Volqaurtsen and Kidd that perform as well, without all the weight.