10-22 BX25 magazine JAMS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

prmath

Bearcat
At first, all was fine but then it started jamming. This is a genuine Ruger product. Got it from GMountain $40 and That doesn't supposed to happen with there gear. It almost acts like the spring isn't strong enough. Any other similar stories?

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
Mine worked great until I ran some waxy ammo through them and then the follower started sticking.
I took them apart and cleaned them up and they have been good to go since.
They come apart pretty easily.

VL

TomV

Bearcat
I read this somewhere, and saw pics of this and then did this myself, and it works.
Remove the side cover of the magazine (2 screws). Place an empty 22 short casing over the post that the coiled spring is around. There is way too much clearance for that spring, and the magazine follower does not always lift the 22 cartridge properly into the rifle. With the empty 22 short casing acting as a spacer, the problem is solved. Also, if you use a 22 long rifle casing, you will have to cut & file the casing to make it a little shorter, or else when it is installed on the post, it will be too wide to reassemble the magazine side cover.

m657

Buckeye
I was all enthusiastic about BX25 & bought first a couple then a couple more, etc.....until the sad reality started hitting home.

Summarized to the Short Story:
I've had to send back a full 50% of all the Ruger factory BX25s as they gradually failed, and would not respond to my efforts to clean/revive them.

Kudos to Ruger as they replaced without question, and in a timely manner. Didn't recover my shipping or hassle-filled experience.

While I still have a supply of them, I no longer trust their performance.

I do rely on the factory rotary 10-rounder models, which remain without equal and a virtually without flaw or glitch after many uses.

re: the post by TomV above: " Place an empty 22 short casing over the post that the coiled spring is around. There is way too much clearance for that spring, and the magazine follower does not always lift the 22 cartridge properly into the rifle. With the empty 22 short casing acting as a spacer, the problem is solved. Also, if you use a 22 long rifle casing, you will have to cut & file the casing to make it a little shorter, or else when it is installed on the post, it will be too wide to reassemble the magazine side cover."

I'll be giving that a try next time I have to tear one down. Hope it works.
Would like to see more comment/photos on the project.

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I too have been very unhappy with BX25's. Actually all 10/22 25+ round mags.

Despite being really slow to load, the teardrop 50-round mag has proven reliable. Unfortunately the plastic they use is garbage.

If I weren't so invested in 10/22's, I'd start over with the S&W 15-22. They seem to be stupid reliable.

m657

Buckeye
"If I weren't so invested in 10/22's, I'd start over with the S&W 15-22. They seem to be stupid reliable."

The 15-22 guys I know all are heavily burdened by the 'bag-o-pride' the labor to share with all/any regarding their magazine function.

I'm perplexed by Ruger having the capacity of making such wonderful 10/22s for so long, with only the rotary 10-shot magazine being of equal reliability.

Although my BX-25 magazines work perfectly, my newest rotary magazines have more problems than my older ones.

What we gotta do to get Ruger's QC cured of sucking eggs, is return every item we buy from them that's defective and let them replace or repair it.

Easier said than done. I have yet to return any of these magazines. It's just too easy to throw them in a corner and buy a new one. :mrgreen: That'll teach 'em! :wink:

WAYNO.

FiremanBob

Bearcat
You aren't placing your support hand on the magazine by any chance?

I have one BX-25 and it works perfectly. I do keep it whistle-clean. Takes five minutes to clean and re-assemble.

Latest posts