Most accurate .22 ammo at 100 yards?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rcmark

Bearcat
1st post!

Sorry if this is a 'redundant' question but...
I did search but I guess I am not good at and could not find the answer.

Gun is a Rugger 10/22.

I want to shoot the smallest groups possible at 100 yards(I know it is 'kind of' individual gun dependent) .

What ammo would you best recommendation to start with(I would really like something that's not to expensive)?

Thanks for any reply's!

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
The most accurate 22 ammo's are generally the most expensive. Generally Eley ammo tends to be the most accurate and garners the most wins in competitive events that require both accuracy and precision.

The one that is billed by the manufacturer as having the greatest potential for accuracy in a rifle is "Tenex". Lapua Midas and RWS R50 are brands that also have a following. Federal attempted to compete several years ago, had brief success but did not find the exercise profitable and abandoned competing at that level in ammunition manufacture.

Each firearm is unique and identical models may have a highly different preference for ammo.

A generally good brand to start with that is a good value is CCI "Green Tag" followed by "Standard"

A middle of the road non-US ammo, that has produced good results for me in several of my guns is SK Rifle Match. Delivers consistent 10 shot MOA groups at 100 meters.

There is a good book on 22 LR ammo where extensive testing took: "Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" by Steve Boelter. Buy the book and save a bunch of money on wasted 22 LR ammo, if you are interested in accuracy!

This website also talks about an extensive test that was conducted respective to overall accuracy:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
100yds is pushing it for any .22lr, but CCI is probably your best bet. Specifically item # 0045 here: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/competition.aspx if you can find any.

Another that gets high marks is Wolf Match: http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=14

I'd suggest getting a box or 2 of the above as well as others and try them out. Aquila also has some decent ammo. Check the advertised ballistics on anything you get for comparison purposes and keep good records of everything you shoot, including environmental conditions.

Your choice derives from subsonic Match ammo, which has significant bullet drop at 100yds (about 7") or hi - velocity which has a flatter trajectory (about 3" @100yds). However, HV ammo starts out supersonic (about 1250fps mv), and goes thru a transition zone to subsonic on the way to the target, which causes the bullet to do some strange things.

Mach 1 at standard sea level and barometric/temp is approx 1087 fps, but the transition zone begins at around 1200fps, all dependent on environmental conditions and altitude.

This is why competition shooters go for subsonic (about 1050fps mv), so even with the bullet drop, which you can compensate for, they are generally more accurate and precise. This is fine, as long as you're just punching holes in paper, but terminal ballistics suck so they aren't good for varmint or small game. It's all a big balancing act.

Bottom line, you want a bullet (of whatever caliber ) to either be subsonic all the way to the target or supersonic all the way in order to avoid that transition zone.

welcome to the forum, some good info above, but the real truth, the best, most accurate ammo is the ammo that works best in YOUR at any given time is what you want to end up with, as well as practice, practice ,practice.......
Different ammo works, and acts different gun to gun, and the inherent accuracy is that MOST gun , can and will shoot better than the shooter, but each again, works differently, gun to gun, same holds true for ammo made lot ,by lot...this is why the "better"?? ammo may be the more costly ones, being their manufacturing tolerences are better,,but I've seen GOOD ammo, in a GREAT gun, shoot horrible for some folks that just do NOT know what they are doing, and vice versa. :wink:

and yes, 100 yards is pushing it for any 10/22 standard issue............................ 8)

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
These days, it's hard to find a selection of different ammo to try. For cheaper ammo, I have better than average luck with CCI Mini-Mag, Winchester Super-X Subsonic, CCI Standard Velocity and American Eagle. I don't have a 22 that doesn't shoot one or more of these well.

This group was from my American with Ely Match, around $18/50. Five shots just over 1". Scope was a 2x7 Burris. I never tried any of the real expensive ammo when I had my 10/22 that I built for matches, plus only shot it at 50 yards. I agree that first find an ammo or two that shoot best from YOUR gun at 50 yards and then try at 100.

snf0pe.jpg

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
rcmark,

Your posting does not show where you live, but would suggest going to the NRA website and looking for a small bore metallic silhouette match close to where you live. The "regular" matches will be dominated by scoped bolt action rifles, but if you go to a "Cowboy Smallbore Silhouette" match, you'll see a bunch of current and old lever actions shooting targets at 100 yards/meters depending on the range.

You'll bet to see a selection of ammo used there and what the combination of these guns deliver. The "regular" matches allow semi-autos, but they are few and far between. When ready bring your 10/22 out as the competitors are a friendly bunch and will likley let you try one of their rifles too. Cowboy is limited to semi-autos with a magazine tube, but once again, with new shooters the rules (aside from safety) can be pretty lax.

There is also the pistol matches, where in small bore you'll see 22 LR contenders out shooting most persons 22 LR rifles.

Its a good experience and a lot of fun!

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I own a Remington 541T-HB that averaged 1.54" for thirty-two 10-shot groups from 32 different makes and styles of 22LR ammunition. The 5-shot magazine held six rounds so I had to fire six, reload with four more rounds, and go back and setup to add 4 rounds to the group. I still prefer shooting 22LR leveraction carbines.

Dan in MI

Staff member
You've already recieved the best suggestions,but I'll add this.

As stated each gun/ammo combo will give different results. In the early 80's ran a BUNCH of ammo through my T/C Super 14 to find out what shot best for silhouette. From 50c a box ammo to $5 a box ammo. Yes, the $5 stuff shot best, BUT not by much.

Pulling numbers out of thin air because I don't have the target handy. Groups (at 50yds) ranged from 9/16" to 1.75" One of the Eley's put up the 9/16" with RWS Target barely behind but the el cheapo 500 round milk carton R-P Golden Bullets shot under 3/4" (yes I know the GB reputation but back then they shot) I went out and scoured all the local stores to get as many milk cartons of the same lot as possible. Those were my regular match ammo and the high dolar stuff for states regionals and internationals.

Point being - SHOOT EVERYTHING you can. when you find what works buy as much of that lot number you can. You may well get lucky and have a combo that works with the cheap stuff.

BTW - I did repeat the top five or ten ammo types at 100 and was not surprised by the results. They were consistant with the 50 yd data.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Will and Dan,

You bring back some good memories! WHen I started out shot a Remington 541, that later had Neil Johnson's (Olympic gunsmith) down in CO Springs add a second action screw to, glass bed, and work the trigger to 2#2 oz.

Used cheap Federal Classic that shot well in that gun, and it kept pace with the far more expensive Anschutz in hunter class at the time. Broke out the RWS for the important matches.

The gun would consistently hold a 10 shot 1.25" group at 100 meters.

For playing at 100 yds with a 22, would suggest finding an American Rimfire that shots well. They seem to have good potential, and tried one that was capable of just over 1 MOA.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
The type of ammo is important but the shooters ability is just as important. You need a combination of three things to shoot well at 100 yards:
Quality rifle and optics
Ammo your rifle likes the best
A superb shooter who knows how to judge wind

Anyone can shoot one great group with a 22 at 100 yards. To do it day in and day out in all types of weather condtions separates the men from the boys.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Dan in MI said:
So ironsighted handgunners can't do it? Better go check out a silhouette match or two.

I didn't say anyone could or could not. But since you brought it up are you saying they can shoot 1-2 inch groups out of 22 iron sighted rimfire handguns at 100 yards consistently?

Dan in MI

Staff member
Not now, but yes, back on the late 80's I could with my T/C. A friend and I used to shoot the 200m rams "part" until there was no black paint left on it. Then we would turn to the top of curl of his horn to tip it over. We camped at the range and after the match was over we would take down all of the BB rams without .22's that way

Super 14" with a homemade tube sight using a Unertl adjuster.

Dan in MI said:
Not now, but yes, back on the late 80's I could with my T/C. A friend and I used to shoot the 200m rams "part" until there was no black paint left on it. Then we would turn to the top of curl of his horn to tip it over. We camped at the range and after the match was over we would take down all of the BB rams without .22's that way

Super 14" with a homemade tube sight using a Unertl adjuster.
That IS good shooting however it is at what a ram looks like at 200m. It is a "simulated range of 200m" not an "actual" 200m. The bullet doesn't have to actually travel 200m. The op wants to shoot a .22lr 100 actual yards. There is a lot that can enter into that shot over and above a 'simulated' distance. There is wind, temperature, mirage, and knowing the ballistics of the round being used. We are not even talking of the ability of the shooter; that is another factor.

Dan in MI said:
Simulated 200m ram???

Nope, we shot the actual 200m BB rams as described. There is a very small portion at the top of the curl that will take down a properly set BB ram with 22lr.
The point I am attempting to make is YES the 200m ram is what a ram would look like at 200m, the range to that target isn't 200m. If it were then the rams would be full size and placed 200m from the firing line.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Fox Mike said:
Dan in MI said:
Simulated 200m ram???

Nope, we shot the actual 200m BB rams as described. There is a very small portion at the top of the curl that will take down a properly set BB ram with 22lr.
The point I am attempting to make is YES the 200m ram is what a ram would look like at 200m, the range to that target isn't 200m. If it were then the rams would be full size and placed 200m from the firing line.
\

And NOW you get MY point. We shot the 200m Big Bore rams AT 200m as described above.

I'm not sure how to explain this any better. We shot the big bore rams at big bore ram distances as described above. I've shot silhouette since 1983 I know the difference between BB, SB, FP and Air.

Latest posts