10/22 takedown scope install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

baronvoncatania

Bearcat
If I purchase a 10/22 takedown model without a scope, is it easy to install a scope myself? Is all the mounts on the rifle when you purchase it?

I've been wanting one of these for a while, but money is tight>

Thanks

dagnarble

Bearcat
A new TD should come with a weaver style rail that fastens to top of the receiver. Then you choose rings and scope

TomV

Bearcat
If you want to install a scope (easy), and have it fit in the original Ruger takedown carrying case with the scope still installed on the rail, then the scope must be no greater than 10 inches long, maximum. Shorter is better still. Otherwise, the scope will have to come off and be stored in the one extra pocket for it inside the case.

TomV said:
If you want to install a scope (easy), and have it fit in the original Ruger takedown carrying case with the scope still installed on the rail, then the scope must be no greater than 10 inches long, maximum. Shorter is better still. Otherwise, the scope will have to come off and be stored in the one extra pocket for it inside the case.

Tom V... hit the nail on the head... do some research on the better choices of scopes.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
If you've never had one before, it might be better to start with a red dot, particularly if money is tight. I'll recommend the Bushnell TRS-25. It's a good red dot sight at a reasonable price, I have one on my S&W M&P 15/22 and I like it a lot.

If you're going with a scope - as others here point out correctly, you're going to have to do some homework if you want it to fit in the bag while still attached to the receiver, and you have to think carefully about positioning and eye relief. If you don't mind detaching the scope and you have a quick-detach setup, then you can use almost anything that gives you the right eye relief. If you want it to stay on the receiver and go back into the bag, your choices are more limited. The whole thing really boils down to whether you think it's more important to keep the scope attached to the receiver and still be able to fit the buttstock portion back into the backpack.

When Jeff Quinn did his review of the 10/22 Takedown back in 2012 he had a Leupold 1.5 to 5 power VX-III mounted. That's a pretty expensive scope but you might be able to find something closer to your price range with virtually the same dimensions...I just wouldn't expect it to be as good as a Leupold.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-1022TD.htm

My feeling is that for a relatively short-range cartridge like the .22LR a decent 3MOA red dot will do a lot of good, and the TRS-25 is a very small and lightweight assembly.

m657

Buckeye
I'm still ecstatic about the Nikon P223 3x32 that fits my TD and its bag......

Got it for reasonable on sale at ?Cabelas? or some big outlet like that.

I've had the smaller red dots on it, and while I like the TRS-25 as mentioned, I prefer glass for this application.